ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hey, I hope you have fun and post something up on your return.

I just talked to the FS lady in Austin on Monday and she was very pessimistic about conditions and that there was more snow there than in the Sierras??
Thanks for the update. If all goes as planned, we will be in Austin for lunch on Sunday.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Rode in freezing cold yesterday morning and spent an hour enjoying a breakfast burrito and hot coffee in Dyer just to thaw out. Couldn't keep my hands warm all day

In spite of the cold, we are having a blast in Nevada. Amazing place for a dual sport ride.

Rode next to some wild horses and pronged horn sheep N/E of Tonopah yesterday evening. Was the highlight of yesterday's ride. By the time I stopped, took off my gloves and got my camera out, all but one of the four horses were out of sight.

2on2off screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:43 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 718
Where is that Ho Tub / Spring in the pic?
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Where is that Ho Tub / Spring in the pic?

Fishlake Valley, north of Dyer.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,484
Well how was the rest of the ride?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Ride Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Well how was the rest of the ride?
Back at work so I haven't had time to post and editing pics takes some time.

I have to say that Nevada is now my favorite dual sport destination. I just kept saying, "wow" as we rode along.

Other than the cold on the first day, the weather and scenery couldn't have been better.

Lot's of different micro climates. Bare desert in one valley, then lush green plants 3 to 6 ft. high over the next mountain range. It seems that if you ride through Nevada and never get off road, you will never know the beauty of Nevada.

I'm already planning my next Nevada trip and this time I would like to go all the way north to Wendover and follow the Pony Express route.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Big Pine to Tonopah

We hauled our bikes to Big Pine and spent the night and did a short shake down ride once we got there to make sure everything was OK with the bikes.

We rode east on highway 168 to Death Valley road and then headed north on Eureka Valley Road. It was very cold and by the time we got to Dyer, we were all frozen and spent 1 1/2 hours warming up and eating some great breakfast burritos.

On the way to Tonopah from Dyer:

In Silver Peak where they mine lithium:

Saw some interesting things on Paymaster Road:

Took our time and enjoyed the sights:

Paymaster Road with Tonopah in the distance:

2on2off screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:51 PM
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

North of Tonopah

We arrived early in Tohopah and checked in to the Jim Butler Inn and then decided to ride a part of the next days ride. Don't want to waste any daylight.

We rode east on highway 6 to Saulsbury Wash Rest area. This is at the north end of Area 51.

Then we headed north on 56 and west on 164. It was on 164 where we rode next to four wild horses and two prong horned sheep for 5 miles. We couldn't believe it and might not ever have this experience again. It made the whole trip worth it. They were running so fast there was no time to take out a camera to get a good shot. When I finally stopped, I only got the last of the four horses and it was already a long way off. They just disappeared into a valley.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Trail 56 and 164

Trails 56 and 164 were alot of fun to ride and the landscape was lush with green. Everything was growing and very green. Pictures don't capture what it was like but here are a few:

We headed back to Tonopah, oiled the chains, filled up with gas and enjoyed a great Mexican Meal.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Tonopah to Belmont

On day two we took a different route heading north from Tonopah. We took 6 east to 376 north. Then turned N/W on trail 461 which was a fun two track trail into Manhattan. 461 was fun and we saw a few interesting sites.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #26
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Manhattan and Belmont

There isn't too much to see in Manhattan and it looks like a working mining town with only a few residents.

Belmont is only a short drive away on a dirt road and it "is" worth the stop. There is alot to see there and we spent so much time looking around that we had to change our route for the day:

We heard that Charlie Manson spent some time in this courthouse jail before his problems became much bigger. Don't know if there is any truth to this:

Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #27
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Thanks for the wonderful updates. I plan to ride the same area in a couple of months, but will stick to mostly paved roads. Seeking some advice here
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Reroute

We spent so much time in Belmont we had to cancel plans to ride to Austin and Diana's Punch Bowl.

We rode back to Manhattan and then headed to Hyder for gas and a quick lunch at The Landing. Hyder is a town owned by the local Open Pit Gold Mine. We also got some local advice that we would not be able to ride over Ophir Pass, it goes over 10,000 ft in elevation, because there was a snow drift at the top that isn't passable yet and there will probably be downed trees that have not yet been cleared. Any intel on this trail over the next month will be appreciated.

From Hyder we headed south/west to Peavine Canyon, trail 20, to trail 451. This was a fun two track dirt road.

This was Rich's first long ride on his 450EXC. Rich: I like how nimble the 450 is". Jim, "My 525 has lots of torque".

On this trip the 450EXC and 525EXC got 52-57 MPG. My 500EXC, with the new MAP, got 50-55 MPG. The DR650 got the same MPG as the 450 and 525. Everyone was pleased with how their bikes worked and those three riders traded off bikes throughout day two to see how each bike performed.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Back to Tonopah

Nevada does a great job of maintaining all the dirt roads and trails. Everywhere we rode, the roads were in great shape.

These plants, not sure what they are called, ranged in size from 3 feet high to over 6 feet high depending on where we were riding.

We rode on either two track trails or wide, well graded dirt roads with the occasional pavement. After we got off trail 451, we headed south/east on pipeline road to highway 6 and then into Tonopah.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #30
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Day Three Tonopah to Big Pine

The temps crept up each day and by the last day, we were very comfortable in and we say the temps ride to 75 degrees.

We rode Paymaster Road to near Silver Peak but then headed south/east to Montezuma rd and Jackson Wash.

Then we rode into Gold Point where the owner treated us to some microwave burritos.

Saw an interesting structure. We were not sure what it is was or what it has been used for.

2on2off screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 12:18 PM