Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #616
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Anybody have some CC Products cool covers they want to get rid of?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #617
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort71 View Post
Thanks Beemerboff,
That is probably the best way to do it and I will be able to get any mirrors that I like !!!!
Ya, and as soon as you do it you'll come a cross a smokin' deal on some OEM mirrors and they won't fit.

One of my favorite Grooks:

Consolation Grook

Losing one glove
is certainly painful,
but nothing
compared to the pain
of losing one,
throwing away the other,
and finding
the first one again.

Piet Hein
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #618
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
Have had no luck with OEM mirrors, time to move on......
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #619
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Have had no luck with OEM mirrors, time to move on......
I'm curious here, what are you searching for in aftermarket mirrors that you're not getting in OEM?

I'm doing my S conversion and was going to use K-1 mirrors first and then maybe some aftermarket later. But I'm interested in your quest here.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #620
mort71
Apehangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
I'm curious here, what are you searching for in aftermarket mirrors that you're not getting in OEM?

I'm doing my S conversion and was going to use K-1 mirrors first and then maybe some aftermarket later. But I'm interested in your quest here.
A good quality mirror, ones that wont fall apart, just had another one that the mirror came off the stem, looks like there is a small nut in there that holds the mirror on that comes loose, $46 dollars each for a R75 mirror at BMW, the last one was a used one. Just looking...... Still on the fence...
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #621
Plaka
Banned

Quote:
A good quality mirror, ones that wont fall apart, just had another one that the mirror came off the stem, looks like there is a small nut in there that holds the mirror on that comes loose, $46 dollars each for a R75 mirror at BMW, the last one was a used one. Just looking...... Still on the fence...
It might be worth considering that 75/5s are getting quite valuable---unmolested ones that is. Rework the mirror holes and you hurt that value. You can make some very clean brackets that go forward from the existing mirror holes (tabs essentially) that will take any mirror you want. You just need one left handed bolt. Fifty cents from any of many fastener houses.

And then there are the mirrors that come off the headlight bolts and a number of barends. I liked the barends because I had a clear view, no looking at your shoulder in half the mirror.

I'm making a set of mirror stems for my RS because the factory mirrors are that bad (but look good). I'm destroying the existing mounts but new ones are only $18 a pair so I'll pick some up sometime and set them aside.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #622
mort71
Apehangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
It might be worth considering that 75/5s are getting quite valuable---unmolested ones that is. Rework the mirror holes and you hurt that value. You can make some very clean brackets that go forward from the existing mirror holes (tabs essentially) that will take any mirror you want. You just need one left handed bolt. Fifty cents from any of many fastener houses.

And then there are the mirrors that come off the headlight bolts and a number of barends. I liked the barends because I had a clear view, no looking at your shoulder in half the mirror.

I'm making a set of mirror stems for my RS because the factory mirrors are that bad (but look good). I'm destroying the existing mounts but new ones are only $18 a pair so I'll pick some up sometime and set them aside.

Thanks for the good info !!!! Going to get another OEM mirror, used or new or reproduction mirrors if anybody makes them ???? Being that my R75/5 is all orginial, low mileage, and never been molested with, we shall keep it that way and stock up on a few mirrors. Now for the smokin deals to roll in......
2004 Harley Sporty

mort71 screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 02:56 PM
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #623
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
I don't think the mod is unreversable - the existing hole is nominally 8 mm with a decent bit oversize for powdercoat , etc, probably 8.2/8.3 mm.

The daylight opening on a 10 x 1.25 tapped hole is 8.75 mm so the difference in opening size is less than 20 thou, which I don't think would stop you refitting it OEM mirrors when the time came to sell.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #624
Plaka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
I don't think the mod is unreversable - the existing hole is nominally 8 mm with a decent bit oversize for powdercoat , etc, probably 8.2/8.3 mm.

The daylight opening on a 10 x 1.25 tapped hole is 8.75 mm so the difference in opening size is less than 20 thou, which I don't think would stop you refitting it OEM mirrors when the time came to sell.
If you Helicoil or Timensert, you tap a much bigger hole. Then you are reversing the threads on one side so that one is shot...and the 8mm thread will stuff in a 10mm hole but won't fit right. Using brackets is reversible. Take the brackets off.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #625
xackley
n00b

Oddometer: 6
mirror adapter

I am not sure if this relates to the above discussion, but I bought a set of these

mirror adapter 10mm 1.25 pitch to 10mm 1.5 pitch (x2) for BMW motorcycle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251112002991...S:3160&vxp=mtr
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #626
xackley
n00b

Oddometer: 6
mirror adapter

To mount normal mirrors, Look up

mirror adapter 10mm 1.25 pitch to 10mm 1.5 pitch on ebay
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #627
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Ya, and as soon as you do it you'll come a cross a smokin' deal on some OEM mirrors and they won't fit.

One of my favorite Grooks:

Consolation Grook

Losing one glove
is certainly painful,
but nothing
compared to the pain
of losing one,
throwing away the other,
and finding
the first one again.

Piet Hein

wise words of wisdom
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #628
MattySull
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a question for you all that I don't believe deserves it's own thread.

My R65 is annoying and buzzy as hell on the highway. This leaves me to cruise at what I feel is a painfully slow 55mph. Without buying a new bike, how can I fix this gearing issue I am having? Well I came up with swapping out the rear drive (31:9) for something else.

I would like a 33:11 rear drive (3.00 ratio) but it seems they are all on R80s and R100s with disks and my bike has a rear drum. Can retrofit the drum in there or would I have to swap to disks?
MattySull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #629
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySull View Post

My R65 is annoying and buzzy as hell on the highway. This leaves me to cruise at what I feel is a painfully slow 55mph. Without buying a new bike, how can I fix this gearing issue I am having? Well I came up with swapping out the rear drive (31:9) for something else.

I would like a 33:11 rear drive (3.00 ratio) but it seems they are all on R80s and R100s with disks and my bike has a rear drum. Can retrofit the drum in there or would I have to swap to disks?
Have you been through all the usual suspects? Timing, Valves, Carb sync??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #630
Plaka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySull View Post

Fitting the drum requires a new wheel, axle, rear drive and a brake rod/nut/spring.

I'd fix the buzzy. Get the wheels/tires dynamically balanced at a shop. power balance the carbs for your preffered cruising RPM. Past that you have to go into the motor and precision balance rods and pistons...not likely needed except to get the last .01%. Make sure footpeg rubbers and grips are 100% and maybe even fit a bar snake---but it's better to eliminate vibration rather than masking it. it's shaking fasteners and electrics, not good.

Losing a wheel weight is a common occult cause of vibration. It also gets worse as tires wear. new tires always feel so good...

Fitting farkel valve caps also throws off the balance.