Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #361
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,454
The world is full of suckass driver and at times any one of us can fall into the category, though most simply visit occasionally some take up full time residence there.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #362
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I have always maintained:

"Put everybody in a Gran Prix car for a week to sort out those who shouldn't drive."

I'll stay home that week !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #363
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
BUMP BUMP BUMP

The Bellingham title definitely caught my eye, i've lived here for the last 13 years. im 26 now. im new to riding, new to these forums, new to learning how to fix my motorcycle and new to motorcycle blogs/ ride reports. this thread gives me goosebumps. the photos are incredible, the people you've came across are interesting and the way you write about your journey does not get boring or dull. this ride report is truly inspirational and very motivating for myself. i've only been riding for 3 years and im spending this summer (2013) in central washington to work, and hoping to gain more on-bike experience, on and off road, so hopefully next summer, i can take my first long distance trip. Ryan, if you ever come back to Bellingham i would love to meet up and and grab a great PNW microbrew and chat it up and learn some things. hope all is well thanks for such a great story
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #364
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
The Bellingham title definitely caught my eye, i've lived here for the last 13 years. im 26 now. im new to riding, new to these forums, new to learning how to fix my motorcycle and new to motorcycle blogs/ ride reports. this thread gives me goosebumps. the photos are incredible, the people you've came across are interesting and the way you write about your journey does not get boring or dull. this ride report is truly inspirational and very motivating for myself. i've only been riding for 3 years and im spending this summer (2013) in central washington to work, and hoping to gain more on-bike experience, on and off road, so hopefully next summer, i can take my first long distance trip. Ryan, if you ever come back to Bellingham i would love to meet up and and grab a great PNW microbrew and chat it up and learn some things. hope all is well thanks for such a great story
Cool man! I would love to grab a beer. Its been over a year since ive been in the states but I might get home to visit this summer. Im digging Europe though, not in any hurry to leave, and Spain is blowing my mind for riding.

Ride safe man, take some trips, Ive only been riding for about 6 or 7 years and I am improving all the time. I was new to RRs when I started this one and its been fun.

Update, Ive been busy but ive got more rides planned, morocco didnt work out for this spring but things are going well. Thanks for staying tuned guys and I am still dedicated to riding the world so excuse the break and there will be more stuff down the road!
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #365
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I thought I had done a lot of traveling...but now that I have been diagnosed with a terminal disease ( in my late 40's ) of which there is no cure, I realize that I have not.

Glad to see you are still going. As you have have aleady realized, there is an entire world of people out there waiting to meet you.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #366
Bad Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Spent the last two mornings reading about your journey, Excellent! You seem to be living a full life.
Bad Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #367
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Caught up...again!

Have been enjoying your ride report since I first found it months ago... I just caught up on the spanish leg of your journey. I must say I am very much appreciating your photo skills; composition, capitalizing on good light, exposures, etc. Keep it coming!

Any pending updates? ;)

Marc

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #368
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Quote:
Have been enjoying your ride report since I first found it months ago... I just caught up on the spanish leg of your journey. I must say I am very much appreciating your photo skills; composition, capitalizing on good light, exposures, etc. Keep it coming!

Any pending updates? ;)
Actually yes, I just bought a new bike and work ends soon. I'm working on an update right now.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #369
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Summer

I bought a new bike, I'm moving out of my apartment by the sea, and I've getting ready for my summer adventures, thanks for being patient!

First lets say goodbye to my home for the last 8 months, the coastal region of Murcia.

Today starts with an early morning in Cartagena. I haven't updated for a while because I have been busy with a bit of work, but more importantly with getting my EU drivers license. The preparation was worth it because I passed all 5 tests (2 car 3 motorcycle) on the first try and became the first one in Autoescuela Campillo, my driving school, to have done so.

Here's a shot of the little bike I took the tests on.

I also bought a new motorcycle for myself, and sold the other one of course.

So let the RR begin, I celebrated my victory with a sandwich (2.50€) and a good dark beer at my favorite sandwich shop. Cartagena is a cool city and a bit chaotic for a drive test. But I had been racing around its streets on my own bike for weeks, to get to know it better rather than paying for classes like they want you to. It was a little sketchy ever since my international license expired but I was lucky and it saved me lots of cash. In Spain they give you a headset and a bike, and they follow you in a car, it was an interesting experience.

To be honest, it was a good exam, you have to know how to ride to pass it and that is a good thing.

I think I was the only one that drove myself to all the drive tests!

Ok, so heres the sandwich.

And my shiny new ride:

Leaving the sandwich shop I wanted to take a look at "Algemeca Chica," a small community on the outskirts of Cartagena.

Down this tree lined highway

Its a beautiful location and a very chill spot in general but by the looks of things, probably not too comfortable for year round living. Unfortunately for some folks they may not have another choice. Times are tough in Spain.

From there I hopped on the highway and rode for a while until I saw an unmarked building with some folks sipping coffee on the patio. It was on the side of the road near the turn off to Portman so I decided to check it out. It was hot and I was thirsty.

It was a simple place and the scenery reminded me again of the Southwest of the US.

From there things changed dramatically. I entered in to the mining area.

You can see the color of the water, similar to the mines near my little apartment but the ones near Portman and La Union are HUGE. Its a never ending mine. The highway twists and turns through the strangely colored landscape.

and the town of Portman, once a mining town, it's now in fast decline.

The "Port" of Portman is the site of one of the worst ecological disasters in the Mediterranean. A company called Peñarroya-España paid off the officials to let them dump thousands of tons of waste and mining bi-products directly into the sea. From up above you can see that what was once a bay, is now filled in with a strange colored sand. They dumped so much waste that it filled in the bay.

Regardless of this saddening sight, this part of Murcia has some great riding. The bizarre colors of the earth, the abandoned mining towns and, if you dont mind a little dirt riding, you can pass through the mining areas and head towards the coast to some great beaches. I continued my ride inland and then noticed an intriguing dirt road heading to what looked like the perfect beach paradise.

PorLaTierra screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 10:28 AM
Old 06-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #370
PorLaTierra OP
Por La Tierra

Secret beach!

Here is what I saw from up above, I just had to find the entrance.

Looks inviting

It was further than I thought by the time I finally found the entrance. It was confusing too because I had to pass literally through the middle of some old mines to get to the road.

Cool!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #371
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 544
Just sent another few bucks your way Ryan. Keep up the adventures and the great pictures.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #372
Derby City
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Where next?

New bike...valid license...You're looking mighty legit these days. Where's the guy that rode to Panama without even a copy of his bike title? All the proper paperwork makes me think you're staying in Europe awhile. Where next? Do tell....
Derby City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #373
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
That's a wild ride...a road that goes THROUGH mines and mining buildings. Wow! Looking forward to the next installment to see what that little jewel of a beach looks like up close. Congrats on the new bike and license. Glad to see your ADV spirit is still running strong.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #374
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Looks like Photo Bucket has pulled your pics off. That was a great secret beach ... and nice pics ... they were there yesterday, now gone!

Try Picassa or Smug Mug. I've never had a Smug Mug pic go away here.
I quit using Photo Bucket years ago.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #375
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Looks like Photo Bucket has pulled your pics off. That was a great secret beach ... and nice pics ... they were there yesterday, now gone!

Try Picassa or Smug Mug. I've never had a Smug Mug pic go away here.
I quit using Photo Bucket years ago.
Yeah, PB did this to me once and I had to pay a few bucks for the "extra bandwidth". Looking forward to seeing more of your adventures, as soon as the pics show up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote