Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
andreig OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
F800 GS side panels removal

Hello all,
I am wondering if there is any material that will describe the process of removing/re-installing the side panels on an F800 GS with detailed explanations in it. I removed the side panels to install a radiator protection, when I removed the screws on the side panel I noticed I have two dimensons, M5 16 and M5 18. Now the problems is I don't remember which goes where. I have that CD media with the repair manual but that is not showing detailed information on which screws are used on the side panels.

Here is the response: 4 x M5X20SI belong to the wheel cover beak. Tagged no. 6 in the image: http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...550&height=400

andreig screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:15 PM
andreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
what year is your bike to begin with noob

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
what year is your bike to begin with noob
It's 2011
Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,120
If I remember it well enough except for the beak and the headlight unit, all the screws for the side panels are the same (even for the radiator mount).

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
If I remember it well enough except for the beak and the headlight unit, all the screws for the side panels are the same (even for the radiator mount).

Hmm, then the longer screws must come from the beak
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Get the Haynes manual,noob: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-F800-F650-...le+manuals+bmw
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloy View Post
I would, if someone would assure me that the screw dimensions are in it, the BMW factory CD does not have that kind of information in it.
Update: Ordered it from: www.bookdepository.co.uk FREE shipping worldwide !

andreig screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 05:38 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,344
You should only have two short screws. They goes on the top panel forward of the ignition lock. One on each side. If you put a long one in there, it can interfere with the lock. All the other ones are longer. Thats how it is on my '09 8GS

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,054
The factory Maintenance manual won't give the screw lengths, you need the parts manual.

Start here:

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=46_1167

Then go to the different pages to see the rest.

We could tell you but then you'd forget the next time. Write it down or as a good mechanic does, organize! Lay the parts and their hardware out together and in the order that you removed them. Take lots of pics if it's a big job and if all else fails, go look at another bike.

A short screw won't work if it's supposed to be long. The danger is that a long screw in a short screw hole may damage something inside if it pushes into it. Some bikes have short screws beside the radiator or frame and long screws there will cause tears.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
The factory Maintenance manual won't give the screw lengths, you need the parts manual.

Start here:

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=46_1167

Then go to the different pages to see the rest.

We could tell you but then you'd forget the next time. Write it down or as a good mechanic does, organize! Lay the parts and their hardware out together and in the order that you removed them. Take lots of pics if it's a big job and if all else fails, go look at another bike.

A short screw won't work if it's supposed to be long. The danger is that a long screw in a short screw hole may damage something inside if it pushes into it. Some bikes have short screws beside the radiator or frame and long screws there will cause tears.
I am really sorry I didn't write down everything as I disassembled the side covers and all, I will do it next time for sure :) I was pretty sure I will find the screw dimensions in the DVD media, well surprise, they were not there to find. Thank you for the advice and the links.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
To tell you the truth, ive taken my panels off so many times and mixed up the screws, it really doesnt matter. but thats just me, ive riden my bike off of a cliff before....
Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
To tell you the truth, ive taken my panels off so many times and mixed up the screws, it really doesnt matter. but thats just me, ive riden my bike off of a cliff before....
Well to tell you the truth I've taken the panels and beak a couple of times off, got really pissed of this last time because I found out that the beak was tied using long screws on the left side and short screws on the right side. Drove it all across Europe since I mixed them, nothing happened but I guess it's time to put them where they belong :)

So from the link Reaver posted it seems that the beak is being fastened with the long ones, all other parts are using the short ones. Thank you all for the happiness of my screws
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,042
I just did it. From my 2009 F800GS, there are three lengths, all with the same thread. For the two sides and center cover:

- Shortest screws (2) go into each side below the headlight.

- Longest screws (4) go into top of the center cover.

- All the others are the same size, and go into the underside of the beak (2 each side), inside-facing panels beside radiator (1 each side), bottom of panel (1 each side) and rear of panel under the seat (1 each side). The remaining 2 go into the center cover facing the forks.

Except for the four in the top of the center cover, most of these locations wouldn't matter as to the length of the screws, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a matter of what supplies were available that determined what went where.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 05:26 PM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
terraunbound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Good to know that there will be different lengths. In the 2001 version, either all the front panel screws were the same length or had been mixed up by multiple owners. Bike different fall apart so I guess we did OK.

andreig, it looks like you made it through the hazing ritual with good humor!
terraunbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
andreig OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
Good to know that there will be different lengths. In the 2001 version, either all the front panel screws were the same length or had been mixed up by multiple owners. Bike different fall apart so I guess we did OK.

andreig, it looks like you made it through the hazing ritual with good humor!
Yeah, I managed to put everything back and have no screws left, that's a big deal for me :)
The screws from the top panel have some kind of a plastic thingie (I don't know how it's called in English) so I had no problem with those. The longer screws I had were from the beak attaching to the side panels. I am posting the answer I added above :) for the noobs like me

Here is the response: 4 x M5X20SI belong to the wheel cover beak. Tagged no. 6 in the image: http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...550&height=400