User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
wortho OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
F700 Embarrassing moment

Pulled up at the lights today alongside a fellow BMW driver (car). He was in the middle lane and I was in the outer. He made it clear by inching forward that he was keen to get ahead of the guy on the inside lane to take the next exit ramp about 200 metres ahead. Well that was my plan as well but i was in the outside lane so I thought i'd better give it a bit extra to get ahead of both cars. Lights changed and it was game on........ well until my front wheel lifted and the ASC kicked in, splutter cough splutter, loss of power then traction and away. just about got to the exit lane in front but it was not as I had planned and it was rather embarrassing actually . Well my first bike with ASC and I now know to turn it off when I plan to get away in a hurry in future on dry roads of course.
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
All been there! At least you didn't stall it!
servdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,647
Oops. Kinda like tearing away in first then power shifting into neutral. That's what full face helmets are for.

I did a similar thing in my SUV this winter. Heavy snow, busy road and I'm trying to pull into traffic. "I've got full time 4WD and big knobby tires" I says to meeself. Small break, floored it into the main road, ASC kicked in and cut the engine so now taking up 3 lanes causing everyone to brake. D'oh! My first experience with ASC.

At least you didn't get rear ended by the guy behind you who might have been trying to piss off the Beemer car by denying him the lane change!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
That has happened to me so many times with my ASC lol
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
So

1) you beat the BMW driver

2) you found out about ASC

embarrassed?
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
ASC has a wheelie monitor?? Come on guys.. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Beairmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Wheelie Monitor

No doubt it will put your front end down. My 2012 BMW S1000RR has a similar system and I love to play with the ASC. There is a little hill down the road from my neighborhood and every time I am coming home I get on it going over the hill and am AMAZED at how fast it detects the front wheel is off the ground and immediately (and smoothly) cuts just enough ignition to set it back down.

As for the F800GS, I am not sure I appreciate the ASC as much... I like to get squirmy with it so leave it off most the time.

With that being said, I am not sure why I waited for the 2013 F800GS instead of buying the 2012. I really wanted the ASC, not realizing it was really not that useful for the dirt and gravel road riding I was going for.

Bear (HellOnWheels)
Beairmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
ASC has a wheelie monitor?? Come on guys.. GH

It's got nothing to do with wheelies. Everything to do with your (the computer's) perspective. Anti-Skid Control.

You're in sand, dump the clutch and the rear wheel spins. Rear wheel going faster than the front means it's skidding. ASC gets all pissy and kills your fun (engine) to control it.

You're on pavement, dump the clutch and the front wheel lifts. Rear wheel going faster than the (non-accellerating) front means it's skidding. ASC gets all pissy and kills your fun (engine) to control it.

The S1000RR also has an inclinometer type of setup that limits wheelies to 5 sec with the ASC off. Maybe Beairmo can read the manual and quote the specifics.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
An S1000RR has the power to lift the front at will. How does the F700 do it? Was the OP standing on the pegs and hitting a hump when he pulled the wheelie while trying to beat the car?? GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Having fun is great but racing other vehicles to an exit ramp? The father in me wants to say "knock that sh*t off -- you'll live longer."