User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #7531
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
We all have opinions, here are some of mine:

- Touratech shift lever - personally this is the only one I've tried that I would use. It is worth it for the fitment to my boots. See my webpage.

- Hand guards. I'm not that psyched about my Barkbusters. But whatever you get know that the stock bars are tapered right where the inner clamps fit, which is an issue that I think can be solved by getting Cycra bar clamps made for Magura tapered bars (I think).
I am convinced the most badass hand guards out there are the Highway Dirt Bike ones, but they attach at the center area instead of the bars which is very strong but conflicted with the windscreen that I picked (which is the Sporttech and I love it but I think I am the only one who has ever used it). HDB also makes a very tiny turn signal for rears.

- Scheffelmeier skid plate - no question about it! The only decision is which one. If you really want the hot setup get the rally one with extra room in the front for tools or whatever. Since he will ship from Germany, save money and plan ahead and get other items: a must is the stainless steel wheel spacers (they are fairly cheap and needed as the stock ones are too soft and quickly wear out). Another option is his case saver (front sprocket area). He has other goodies too.
- Note: On my Schef skid plate the oil drain plug hangs down below it so I got the low profile Touratech one. But it does not have a magnet in it. Others have said the OEM one does not hang down lower but on mine it does. Of course I might be the only person who has slid there bike at 70 mph flat on the skid plate until it came to a stop, so perhaps I am biased... but you can just as easily drag it over a rock and knock off the OEM drain plug.

- Mirrors - DoubleTakeMirror.com - no question. Totally adjustable, move as needed or upon a crash, they do not break. As I like to say "the only mirror that started AND finished the 2012 Dakar" a quote from our own inmate Neduro - the inventor, owner and Dakar finisher. RAM mounted stuff is very cool too!

- Tires - I defer to others, I have used their guidance and have not personally tried that many... But to date I like the Dunlop D606 rear for occasions when I think I need serious knobbies. I like the TKC80 fronts too, they have a good bite and last well.
For a longer wearing rear for general use I love the Mefo Explorer rear (the front is noisy when new and they last so long I'd use the TKC myself). Others swear by the Heidenau rear but I'm not sure they last as long.

I can't wait to see your Magadan setup on an XCountry!

People like the Wolfman tank bag but for myself I wanted a small one that was very clean looking so 3 point instead of 4 point so I found this slick little Nelson-Rigg bag.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #7532
Yukon Ho!
We can go ANYWHERE!

Oddometer: 130
RTW farkles

Here are the ones I chose, VERY happy with these, thousands of miles on dirt roads:
  • Bash Plate: Scheffelmeier!
  • Hand guards: Highway Dirt Bikes!
  • Folding Mirrors: Double Take!
  • Bendy Shift Lever: Touratech.
  • Supplemental Fuel: XTank!
  • Tires: TKC-80. (Colebatch raves about Michelin Desert & Desert Race.)
  • Tank Bag: Enduristan Sport 2 (though any tank bag impedes leaning forward while standing on pegs.)
  • Windscreen: Britannia Composites Lynx Fairing. Awesome dashboard and HID headlights. Windscreen not tall enough to protect 6' rider from buffeting on freeway.
Two more you didn't list:
  • Engine Bars: SW-Motech are beefy but pain in the butt -- you have to remove them just to access battery etc. I'd get different ones.
  • GPS Mount: touratech's locking mount for Garmin Montana, clamps onto their bar you mount on your handlebar top clamp. Compatible with HDB handguard top clamp. Excellent. $$$.
Enjoy!
Yukon Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #7533
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,363
I have multiple tankbags, but always go back to my RKA 13 liter Shiloh Road.

Here it is on my first X-Country: http://www.rka-luggage.com/A08%20BMW...y_113_1_bi.jpg

Never contact it while standing, and the expandable top section is perfect for stashing your jacket liner or electric vest as the day warms up.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #7534
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
- Note: On my Schef skid plate the oil drain plug hangs down below it so I got the low profile Touratech one. But it does not have a magnet in it. Others have said the OEM one does not hang down lower but on mine it does. Of course I might be the only person who has slid there bike at 70 mph flat on the skid plate until it came to a stop, so perhaps I am biased... but you can just as easily drag it over a rock and knock off the OEM drain plug.
Somewhere on ADVrider, someone discovered there's a low profile BMW drain plug with magnet. I think if you order the # from the fiche, you end up getting the new, shorter plug.

(Damn, losing one's memory sucks ...)

Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #7535
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Ho! View Post
Here are the ones I chose, VERY happy with these, thousands of miles on dirt roads:

• Engine Bars: SW-Motech are beefy but pain in the butt -- you have to remove them just to access battery etc. I'd get different ones.
  • GPS Mount: touratech's locking mount for Garmin Montana, clamps onto their bar you mount on your handlebar top clamp. Compatible with HDB handguard top clamp. Excellent. $$$.
Enjoy!
i have the SW motech engine guards and can access the battery with no problems. you do have to squeeze the plastic radiator guard/trim pieces to get around the bars but it is completely manageable.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #7536
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
i have the SW motech engine guards and can access the battery with no problems. you do have to squeeze the plastic radiator guard/trim pieces to get around the bars but it is completely manageable.
I have them as well and the side panels are truly a pain to insert... I ended up filing the top tab on each side down to fit in the slot easier and still cracked one. If it was something I took off a lot then I'm not sure what I'd say about how easy they are to deal with personally. But overall worth the protection you get as they are very strong and the radiator is a weak spot (or just don't go down, that is my motto and I slow down or skip obstacles as needed . YMMV).

BTW, Scheff makes a skid plate already cut out perfectly so these will fit. I planned ahead and bought that version and didn't buy the SW-M guards until 2 years later for a Baja trip.

Gee now we got a little conversation going - even Niedz is "back" ! WooHoo! can you believe this Leafman (you are our best cheering section of late!).

4Rider I hope you do that trip!

snooker screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 09:07 AM
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #7537
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedz View Post
Hey what's that black can on the back? I see it has hoses on it - did you plumb up a 6 oz. gas tank?

I know a local guy here who took his X out of state to an unfamiliar sketchy section of a big city. He locked the bike and when he went in the morning to ride it apparently some thieves tried to steal it unsuccessfully but it was still there except ... they stole ONE thing off of the bike...

...that apparently MaGiC looking black cannister was gone! broken off at the plastic tabs with the hoses cut!

..so now I'm wondering if it really is a "stash" to store your "valuables"? ... hehe.. that would work in your case since it is too hard to access the battery compartment now. shhhh I'll never tell

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #7538
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffster View Post
Somewhere on ADVrider, someone discovered there's a low profile BMW drain plug with magnet. I think if you order the # from the fiche, you end up getting the new, shorter plug.

(Damn, losing one's memory sucks ...)
Hmm I will try to remember to check that out, thanks!

I've heard people are brave enough to epoxy their own neo-molybdenum, ... er I mean neo-binium, ... wait... neo-dynib-dimum wait let me google that...

I mean neodymium. Anyhow to epoxy their own neodymium magnet to the plug? I don't think I am brave enough to do that personally.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #7539
jjmead1
now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Hmm I will try to remember to check that out, thanks!

I've heard people are brave enough to epoxy their own neo-molybdenum, ... er I mean neo-binium, ... wait... neo-dynib-dimum wait let me google that...

I mean neodymium. Anyhow to epoxy their own neodymium magnet to the plug? I don't think I am brave enough to do that personally.
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/4...oil-drain-plug

mine had a magnet.
jjmead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #7540
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Threaded Bar End

Hi X-Country owners! I need some help. I recently bought some stock X-country bars for my '02 Dakar for cheap. I installed them with adapters, but now here's my problem.

The bar didn't come with the threaded adapters that screw into the end of the bar. I figured I could just order them from the dealer. Just called them....turns out that the part, called "Adapter", 32727710446, is no longer available!

I can't install my handguards until I have these friggin bar end adapters.

So, has anyone swapped out their stock bars lately? Have the screw in adapters lying around?? I need them! Sell me them!!

Thanks
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #7541
Niedz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Gee now we got a little conversation going - even Niedz is "back" ! WooHoo! can you believe this Leafman (you are our best cheering section of late!).
never left! been lurking the whole time...nothing much to say!

bike is still in storage in my parents garage. didnt ride it at all last year.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #7542
purdsam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
RTW Farkles

All of those are good suggestions for farkles. I would add that the Wunderlich windscreen aluminium bracket is under-engineered and will crack. I even tried taking it to an aluminum welder for re-enforcing welds on the bends, but a crack still found an un-welded bend.

I use the OEM X-Country tank bag. It's a bit pricey, but can carry a ton of stuff with it's expandable top zipper.

purdsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #7543
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdsam View Post
I would add that the Wunderlich windscreen aluminium bracket is under-engineered and will crack. I even tried taking it to an aluminum welder for re-enforcing welds on the bends, but a crack still found an un-welded bend.
+1

I have a replacement bracket that I refuse to use until I have it reinforced six ways before Sunday.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #7544
jezuar
NO NI NA

Oddometer: 126
the OEM X-Country tank bag is the best for me.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-G650-XCou...item2ec70d6c96
jezuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #7545
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
X - C - O, X - C - O, X - C - O, XCo all the way !
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote