User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
dnorton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
iPhone5 + Zumo 350LM + NCOM is possible?

My dilemma - I have a circa 2010 Nolan helmet with the NCOM system installed, including the bluetooth option. (don't know if the NCOM version makes a difference?)

I had an Android phone with unlimited data plan which I could pair with the helmet and use the Android as my GPS........no problemo.

Now I upgrades to an iPhone5 and Verizon forces me to change my plan to one without unlimited data. I've discovered that using the iPhone as a GPS gobbles data, doesn't matter which GPS software they all suck down data, which means huge phone bills.

So, I'm thinking I need to breakdown and get a dedicated GPS. I've zero'd in on the 350LM, however it appears from my research that the 350LM can only be paired with one device and the NCOM can be paired with only device?

The question - is it possible to wirelessly (bluetooth or ?) connect the 350LM and iPhone5 to the NCOM system at the same time?

If the 350LM can't do this, is there another GPS that can?

The goal is to be able to listen to music and hear the GPS. My car's built in GPS can do this, I want the same capability on the bike.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
For the record, not all mapping apps on the iPhone suck down tons of data. While the built-in mapping app and Google Maps both require a data connection to pull down the underlying maps (the main source of data usage), some apps include the map in the app or download it once. For example, Navigon and TomTom apps allow you to turn data off completely, or leave data on and just use far less of it.

These apps are generally more expensive, since they need to pay licensing fees to the map providers. On the other hand, they're usually less than a dedicated GPS unit, they play well with telephone calls, and they're upgradeable.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
dnorton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thanks I wasn't aware of Navigon. Seems that would solve my issue, cheaper than a buying dedicated GPS unit.

PS - I installed the greatest road app earlier this winter - I've loaded a few routes in for my area.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote