Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #166
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
If it matters, we always use structural epoxy to bond two cured pieces. Unless we're horribly negligent with bond line control or voids, failure is always at the part (not the bond) and almost always a delam.
I agree. I have always thought that I do so little fixing, or bonding, that I have not considered stocking a structural epoxy, as I buy it in gallons each time. I would be afraid it would just sit and expire. The other two types I stock behaves sort of like both a laminating, and structural epoxy. One in particular ( 1618) was not created yet by the manufacture, when I build the plate. We shall see how this goes, but I think as it is good up to 250 deg. F., it should be ok.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #167
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

As I installed the Arrow headers, and Dynojet PC-5/AT the bash guard wont quite fit.....even though I thought I made plenty of room, so onward with lowering the mount.....

Erling
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #168
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So... I started thinking, and doing a little math. I feel like an idiot lowering the whole unit 1 inch, to accommodate this lower header, specially when I can re fab the bash plate. As a great thing with composites, you can cut and paste them to an overall reshape. So the mods above was cut off....and mounts restored, and I will cut the bottom at the header interference, re mould it to have a dip around the headers. Composites don't have to be straight, like alloy plating. If done right....there will be no loss of strength. The bend will just add to the stiffness. Stay tuned....

Erling
Old 03-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #169
Karasu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb Hi Erling!

All of your CF build threads are just great and have inspired my DIY friend and I to give a go at a couple projects you've done and to venture further as our skills develop. I have some other past times that could use some reinforcing.

One question I had for you, if you would be so kind, is what are the rough dimensions for the bash plate you made in this thread. I'm trying to put together and order for sheet and resin and just need a rough idea of how much to accidentally over order to have leftovers for a couple other ideas.

Anyways I sure as the builds begin we'll have lots of pictures and even more questions to share. Thanks again for making these build threads so informative and helpful. It really makes these builds look simple. Though shortly after finishing my build I'm sure I'll wonder why it doesn't look right. (The trick is to build my buddies plate first I'm sure )

Cheers
Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #170
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasu View Post
All of your CF build threads are just great and have inspired my DIY friend and I to give a go at a couple projects you've done and to venture further as our skills develop. I have some other past times that could use some reinforcing.

One question I had for you, if you would be so kind, is what are the rough dimensions for the bash plate you made in this thread. I'm trying to put together and order for sheet and resin and just need a rough idea of how much to accidentally over order to have leftovers for a couple other ideas.

Anyways I sure as the builds begin we'll have lots of pictures and even more questions to share. Thanks again for making these build threads so informative and helpful. It really makes these builds look simple. Though shortly after finishing my build I'm sure I'll wonder why it doesn't look right. (The trick is to build my buddies plate first I'm sure )

Cheers
.... Yeppers.... The first build..... The rough dimensions are 28 long, and 15 wide. That includes the side walls, and such.

Erling
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #171
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So first the whole was cut to fit the header.....

Then a foam plug was made.......and taped in place.....

Then shaped....

And the area masked.....

The first, one layer of CF..... then 4 layers of K-39 Kevlar.....

Then 6 Layers of CF..... then toppled with weights, to hold the enge of the fabric in place, as it is very thick....

Curing....

Erling
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #172
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then out comes the dentist..... Dremel, and all, the corners were carefully trimmed...

Then after the dremel work....

And the inside just dig out the foam with a screwdriver....... spoon.... chainsaw.... what ever you have at hand...

Then dremel on the inside.....There is a dentist in all of us....

Then sand paper on the outside....

It fits perfect.....

The next step is not a necessity, as no one will look on the inside, but I dont mind. Inside gets one layer....

Erling
Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #173
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,257
Now quick! Go pull a mold off of the finished product before you go for a ride.. catch a rock.. and smash that one all to hell...

Nice work!
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #174
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
If I had 1/2 of your skills.. my 919 would look like it ran through a carbon fiber loom...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #175
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Nice buddy! Now see if your skills were on par with mine you'd have more practice hacking!
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #176
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ha ha...... Thanks guys. Going on a ride in a week..... 400 miles...over half in the dirt..... Bad dirt.. We shall see, but am sure it will hold up just fine. Unlike Aluminum, which while being gouched....is very soft. and the rock digs in... the hardness of this laminate will be reflected. Take the blunt side of a flat head screw driver to a piece of aluminum.... then try it on a laminate like this.... you'l see.....

Erling
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #177
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

On another note " the rub" video is uploading.

Erling
Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #178
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

">

Erling
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #179
Geek
oot & aboot