Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Praxguy OP
CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer: 30
NYC to Houston. In West Virginia. Hear a hissing sounds. Uh oh.

Hi guys, it's not time to post my ride report yet.

I've been riding down from NYC to Houston and everything seems fine. I don't notice any loss of power so far on the ural.

But when I rev 3rd gear high, I hear a lot of hissing and a high pitch. Like I said, nothing wrong so far, but I want to get it checked ASAP. Any ural experts on the way from WV to Houston who could help me out? I'm a paying customer of course!

Oh and I tried hit a few of you up for a place to stay along the way, but no luck from the tent space list. No worries, empty state parks are fine with me ;)
Praxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Your best bet is probably Heindl Engineering in Eaton OH (just west of Dayton). Excellent dealer and nice people.
http://www.heindlengineering.com/

Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
We have a heated garage and an extra room in Marietta , Oh on the Ohio river if you decide to head to Dayton we're onthe way. PM me if you want.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Might make a difference

Try doing the same gear shifting w/o your helmet.

Not suggesting your make this a habit but I do it when trying to get a better study on a mystery sound.

Have you relocated some of your cargo, during your trip ? Wind wipping in & out of objects can make sounds. Have you snugged the exhaust header nuts ?
Check fluid levels or at least for wet spots at underside.

Do not know your route, but my BRO is in NE FL, has a great pasture or a bed/bath up stairs & way to many tools for one guy....fact some of them are mine.

Ride smart
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Praxguy OP
CAPITALIST PIG

Honestly it doesn't sound bad guys. I think I'll be alright til I get to the nice guys at Sealy TX who service urals. I tried the guy in Red Lion PA and actually drove there only to get no response from him which I thought is a pretty bad sign.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Well have a safe trip and hopefully nothing seriously wrong with the Ural. Hope you get to better weather soon.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Urals make lots of strange noises at different times. A,"Hissing" sound like air leak I would check compliance fittings, branch pipes to carbs and air box, and vacuum tube from petcock to left carb. A leak from these areas are also associated with an idle rise with a fully broken in rig. Get some WD 40 and at idle spray compliance fittings. If idle rises that is where air leak is. Don't let this go if you have a determined air leak or you could hole a piston. Also post on Soviet Steeds.com and you'll find all the info and assistance you could need. Happy trails...
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
Get some WD 40 and at idle spray compliance fittings. If idle rises that is where air leak is. Don't let this go if you have a determined air leak or you could hole a piston. Also post on Soviet Steeds.com and you'll find all the info and assistance you could need. Happy trails...

THIS! Compliance fittings are easy to diagnose and are common to fail.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,715
Praxguy,
What the status of your hissing sound? Update on your trip,please.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxguy View Post
Honestly it doesn't sound bad guys. I think I'll be alright til I get to the nice guys at Sealy TX who service urals. I tried the guy in Red Lion PA and actually drove there only to get no response from him which I thought is a pretty bad sign.
You're kidding!? Here you are out on the road, alone on a long haul trip from NYC to Houston, Texas, in the middle of the trip have a problem with a new Ural and the DEALER/SERVICE REP WOULDN'T HELP!?

If you post the name and location I'll sure as hell write him one smoking hot letter to tell him what I think of him, his whole family and all his scum-sucking ancestors! Post the details and I'll complain to Ural too! If I lived closer I'd seriously consider some cosmetic adjustment of his lower jaw but I'm in Cali.
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL-erate View Post
You're kidding!? Here you are out on the road, alone on a long haul trip from NYC to Houston, Texas, in the middle of the trip have a problem with a new Ural and the DEALER/SERVICE REP WOULDN'T HELP!?

If you post the name and location I'll sure as hell write him one smoking hot letter to tell him what I think of him, his whole family and all his scum-sucking ancestors! Post the details and I'll complain to Ural too! If I lived closer I'd seriously consider some cosmetic adjustment of his lower jaw but I'm in Cali.
Actually, the old dealer in Red Lion is no longer listed as a Ural dealer on the IMZ website. That might be your answer right there.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
XL-erate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Actually, the old dealer in Red Lion is no longer listed as a Ural dealer on the IMZ website. That might be your answer right there.
Aha, yes, you might be right! You can only fool so many of the people for so long before the jig is up...
XL-erate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Praxguy OP
CAPITALIST PIG

Hi guys sorry for taking so long to reply. So the status of the airy-hissing is still there. But be bike got me to Houston in 6 days with no issues. I went ahead and finally took her to the Sealy TX ural mechanic to get her serviced. She was leaking quite a bit of oil by the time I got here, so he said is with a valve cover.

I'm not an expert in these issues so I really don't know. Another thing that happened to me on the trip was the running lights and overall electrical system kept coming on and off. Sometimes all the running lights would work and sometimes just the bike and sometimes just the sidecar. Right now the bike itself has no running or stopping light.

He said he will check the whole bike out, listen for problems and fix the electrical issue. I think he's gonna tell me that the motor is just loud like that, but he already suggested that I upgrade to the herzog gears as a he said it will extend the overall life of my motor (since I really don't see myself selling this thing ever)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Praxguy OP
CAPITALIST PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL-erate View Post

Thanks man but seriously I am a guy who believes in peace. I lost about a days worth of riding going from NYC to red lion, and I did think it was inappropriate for him never to call me back but so is life.

The Sealy TX guy is British and seemed very knowledgable and extremely nice. So I made it here, and just making sure in the next week that the bike is good to go as my main vehicle here in Houston!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
airspro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxguy View Post
Thanks man but seriously I am a guy who believes in peace. I lost about a days worth of riding going from NYC to red lion, and I did think it was inappropriate for him never to call me back but so is life.

The Sealy TX guy is British and seemed very knowledgable and extremely nice. So I made it here, and just making sure in the next week that the bike is good to go as my main vehicle here in Houston!
Sounds good , first I seen this post , if you or anyone in else needs a camping spot in Mid Michigan , give me a shout . I live just 34 miles North of Lansing , Michigan .

best
spro
airspro is offline   Reply With Quote