Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,392
Great Ride Report! Enjoyed reading it!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #227
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Excellent RR. I especially loved the CO pics. I spent 11 months in CO, but (alas) no riding. Seeing your pics sure makes me want to do the TAT. Especially CO!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #228
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Hey P Phil, just found your RR,scanned thru your pictures-very nice-now I look forward to reading it. Quick question- did you have Sam's gps tracks as well as his roll charts? If you used both-how necessary did you find the roll charts? Do you think you would have done fine with just the gps? I'm heading out this year solo with gps and maps,but would prefer to leave behind the roll charts.
Hi there, we primarily used the roll charts and the GPS tracks for backup. The GPS tracks were what I had made up using the roll charts and maps. A lot of the GPS routes for the various states I did as auto routing but if the road didn't exist on the map it wouldn't auto route on it. Other states U did as tracks with a way point on every one of Sam's turns. If you name each waypoint with the mileage of that turn from the rollcharts,it is a very good back up to the roll charts. You can prove you are in the right place. IMO the tracks done like that we're better than the auto routing routes.
I would get better maps of Oregon as Sam's ones are in to smaller scale to be of much use and Oregon can be very confusing. We had about 3 places where we go lost ( temporarily confused as to our whereabouts )
I'm not sure about doing it all on GPS. I guess it depends on how good and detailed the GPS tracks are and how good the GPS unit is. I was using a Zumo 550. It can do more waypoints than a 660 but something like a Montana can have massive track file in comparison.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #229
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Hey P Phil, just found your RR,scanned thru your pictures-very nice-now I look forward to reading it. Quick question- did you have Sam's gps tracks as well as his roll charts? If you used both-how necessary did you find the roll charts? Do you think you would have done fine with just the gps? I'm heading out this year solo with gps and maps,but would prefer to leave behind the roll charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I would get better maps of Oregon as Sam's ones are in to smaller scale to be of much use and Oregon can be very confusing. We had about 3 places where we go lost ( temporarily confused as to our whereabouts )
I'm not sure about doing it all on GPS. I guess it depends on how good and detailed the GPS tracks are and how good the GPS unit is. I was using a Zumo 550. It can do more waypoints than a 660 but something like a Montana can have massive track file in comparison.
+1 on that! Was having trouble with Oregon and the state map that was provided was too difficult to read. Got lost and somebody on other forum was kind enough to send me his track when he did TAT the year before I was doing mine. His condition was that if I find any trouble on his updated track to report back and I did find couple. I think that you will run into couple of glitches in Oregon that can not be helped.

Also, not trying to slam Sam but his GPS track he is selling has few gaps that is not noticeable on basecamp but will notice it on GPS. I tried to discuss this with Sam but he was not interested. I would not recommend buying his GPS map but just his roll chart and map then review and do the GPS tracking yourself before you leave for TAT trip.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote