Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #211
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
This ride report will give you alot of good info. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437
In particular, AIRBNB.com ( bed and breakfast website ) . I have been looking at this site and it look pretty cool. For example there is a cabin curser boat tied up in Galveston that you can rent as a room.
Thanks -- that R/R is actually how I discovered ADV. I read it from start to finish in two days. As for AirBnB and VRBO, these are two sites I use for travel when looking for unique places to stay. An Inmate on here also turned me onto sport-touring.net which also has a wealth of info.

The other adventure I'd like to accomplish this year is the SS1000. There are several routes I'm considering. Houston to Denver is just over 1000 miles, as is Indianapolis (MotoGP this coming August).
Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #212
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halen View Post
Just found this thread ... I live in central Houston near Memorial Park and try to rider everyday.

Are there any Sport Touring riders on this thread? A little less than a month ago I purchased a BMW S1000rr. I'm working on building a route/itinerary that encompasses a West coast swing. I'd love to get feedback from others on things to consider while touring with a sportbike.
We've got a couple of R1000SS riders in the Houston BMW club. There are also a few STs and K1300S. Meetings are at 7pm at Spagetti Western on Shepherd the second Thursday of each month. If you're interested in long haul riding, some of our guys go to Alaska via Key West.

SS1000 on a sport bike? One idea is to ride to Boerne and make the run from there to El Paso and back. Just over 1K with 900 miles at an 80 MPH speed limit.

m

Worship your master as you wish, but never name him Freedom.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #213
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
We've got a couple of R1000SS riders in the Houston BMW club. There are also a few STs and K1300S. Meetings are at 7pm at Spagetti Western on Shepherd the second Thursday of each month. If you're interested in long haul riding, some of our guys go to Alaska via Key West.

SS1000 on a sport bike? One idea is to ride to Boerne and make the run from there to El Paso and back. Just over 1K with 900 miles at an 80 MPH speed limit.

m
The timing was perfect when I bought my S1000rr as it two days before the March meeting for the Houston BMW Club. I actually met a member the day I was picking up my bike. He suggested I attend the meeting which I did. Unfortunately I arrived a bit late and did not get a chance to meet many people. I look forward to meeting more riders in future meetings.

As for my first SS1000 I'm considering a Louisiana/Texas loop (Google Maps link): http://goo.gl/maps/m8A7P

I like the idea of possibly doing an El Paso run as well. Like you mentioned it would be very quick at Highway speeds.

As for Alaska via Key West, that would be a serious adventure via an S1000rr!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #214
Meriden
Yea whatever

Quote:
The timing was perfect when I bought my S1000rr as it two days before the March meeting for the Houston BMW Club. I actually met a member the day I was picking up my bike. He suggested I attend the meeting which I did. Unfortunately I arrived a bit late and did not get a chance to meet many people. I look forward to meeting more riders in future meetings.

As for my first SS1000 I'm considering a Louisiana/Texas loop (Google Maps link): http://goo.gl/maps/m8A7P

I like the idea of possibly doing an El Paso run as well. Like you mentioned it would be very quick at Highway speeds.

As for Alaska via Key West, that would be a serious adventure via an S1000rr!
Welcome then. If you bought a new bike from one of the dealerships then you have a free membership, at least until renewal time in the summer. Our ride meister is planning a SS1000 in the near future, a Kingsville, Corpus loop I think. Check out the website. Our message board does not get a lot of traffic but you can still learn about rides. Tech day is this weekend. A great opportunuty to meet folks and watch people scrape their knuckles.

http://bmwclubofhouston.com/cms/en/

Key West to Alaska would be a haul on a R1000SS. One of our past presidents is doing it on a Ural. I'd rather have the speed rather than the cargo hold.

m

Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #215
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Quote:
Welcome then. If you bought a new bike from one of the dealerships then you have a free membership, at least until renewal time in the summer. Our ride meister is planning a SS1000 in the near future, a Kingsville, Corpus loop I think. Check out the website. Our message board does not get a lot of traffic but you can still learn about rides. Tech day is this weekend. A great opportunuty to meet folks and watch people scrape their knuckles.

http://bmwclubofhouston.com/cms/en/

Key West to Alaska would be a haul on a R1000SS. One of our past presidents is doing it on a Ural. I'd rather have the speed rather than the cargo hold.

m
I'm going to do my best to try and make the Tech Day this coming Saturday. There is a lot I need to learn and this would be a great place to begin.

I could not agree more about having speed vs cargo.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #216
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
I'm going to do my best to try and make the Tech Day this coming Saturday. There is a lot I need to learn and this would be a great place to begin.

I could not agree more about having speed vs cargo.
I looked all over the website and could not find mention of the tech day. I just bought a new to me F650GS and am looking to get educated on day to day upkeep, and I think the chain needs tensioning (stupid dealer and their $300 make ready seemed to have missed this).
Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #217
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
I looked all over the website and could not find mention of the tech day. I just bought a new to me F650GS and am looking to get educated on day to day upkeep, and I think the chain needs tensioning (stupid dealer and their $300 make ready seemed to have missed this).
I heard about it via email. Let me see if I can track it down and I'll post the info here.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #218
Meriden
Yea whatever

Houston BMW Clubs's Tech Day is a members only event so details are not published.

Halen,
I'd guessed that you had filled out your paperwork at the dealership. If so just contact one of the officers via email and he will get you the details.

Sadly I'll be 100 miles away tearing apart my RT all by myself. Sniff.

m

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #219
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Quote:
Houston BMW Clubs's Tech Day is a members only event so details are not published.

Halen,
I'd guessed that you had filled out your paperwork at the dealership. If so just contact one of the officers via email and he will get you the details.

Sadly I'll be 100 miles away tearing apart my RT all by myself. Sniff.

m
You are correct. I saw that when I reviewed the email and why I did not post it. Good luck with your RT.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #220
KeithW
AIRHEAD

Oddometer: 6
Texas Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tom View Post
Decker Prairie.....just NW of Tomball
Still around I live Nichols Sawmill by the fire station

KeithW
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #221
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,537
Quote:
Just found this thread ... I live in central Houston near Memorial Park and try to rider everyday.

Are there any Sport Touring riders on this thread? A little less than a month ago I purchased a BMW S1000rr. I'm working on building a route/itinerary that encompasses a West coast swing. I'd love to get feedback from others on things to consider while touring with a sportbike.
I have some GPS tracks I can share.

Also, there are a few of us (mainly me) who ride some fun twistie shit from Houston to Carlos......Riding this Sunday if ya want to tag along
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #222
Halen
Suerte O Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I have some GPS tracks I can share.

Also, there are a few of us (mainly me) who ride some fun twistie shit from Houston to Carlos......Riding this Sunday if ya want to tag along
Man I'd love to take a look at the GPS tracks! Thank you for the offer. I'm riding with a few buddies this Sunday prior to the MotoGP race. It would be great to hook up for a ride in the future.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #223
Whec716
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Rusty Shovel and I spent about 3 hours yesterday in SHNF.

Great time.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #224
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 612
Looks like the sand in SHNF was just wet enough for a great time!

thanks for sharing.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #225
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Talking

I kinda swore off the forest when I got into D/S put I must admit that I'm getting the woods munchies again. It's gonna be tough on the BRP and my legs, but what the hey. I'm just about ready.