User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
FakeName OP
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,656
MOTOZ and the ADV

In another thread, questions arose regarding the proper fitment of the Motoz 140/80-18 on the back of an ADV- a 4.25" rim. Many people, myself included, run the 908RR - also a 140- which is out of specification for the wide rim.

So I asked Motoz:

Quote:
Hullo from California!

There's some debate on this question, and I thought I'd ask the "real" guys:

Will your 140/80-18 R tire properly fit my 2011 KTM 990 with a 4.25" wide rim?

I know it will work- people have done it. But is it within the design specifications for the tire?

Thank you.

And they replied:

Quote:
Hello Paul,

Thanks for your email – it’s nice to be called real guys!!

The answer is no. That bike did not exist when we designed that tyre. Our Desert H/T 140/80-18 is not R (not radial). The speed rating of the tyre is way too low, but in theory if your priority is off road and below 130kms/hour- it will do the job (noting laws in various places might be compromised if speed rating and dedicated fitment is involved – not our call to say yes or no on that subject). We know a lot of adventure bike riders (especially the big KTMs) use that tyre, but it was not designed with that bike in mind. It is designed for a 2.5 inch rim, and can probably be used on a 2.75 inch rim (might even be better for long haul – carrying gear rides), and at the time bikes like XR650 and Husqvarna 610 etc were the style bikes in mind for that tyre.

In theory we would not recommend fitting to a 4.25 inch rim (boarding on slightly worrying). What riders do in practice is up to them, but often solves a problem (kind of why we started making tyres – others weren’t making the tyres we wanted to use).

I hope this helps.

Best Regards
Rick Atkinson
Motoz Pty Ltd

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,333
fuck....not what i was hoping to hear.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
if your priority is off road and below 130kms/hour- it will do the job
Sorted, forget land speed records, if you wonna go faster than that buy a big roadie!! .... why did you buy the knobbies in the first place .... not to race against Rossi right.

Just ride them with there email in mind, a bit of American disclaimer law looks like it was coming in the reply.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Perhaps FakeName (since he is on a first name basis with them ) could continue the conversation with them and ask if they would consider making one that WOULD fit!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
FakeName OP
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,656
I did ask, and put my name in for a couple.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Sorted, forget land speed records, if you wonna go faster than that buy a big roadie!! .... why did you buy the knobbies in the first place .... not to race against Rossi right.
Huh?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Huh?
What I am saying is how fast do you wonna go on the road on a very knobbly tire? and what is the likelihood of keeping up 130km/hr on dirt all day to wreck a tire?

I don't see much to worrying about.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
80 MPH,, not impossible for some,, for me darn unlikely

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

Just ride them with there email in mind, a bit of American disclaimer law looks like it was coming in the reply.
The wider rim of the ADV is for stability on high speeds. As the 130 is already considered as too high why anyhow bothering with the wide rim and not going to the SE-rim?

I for myself wouldn't want to ride a tyre whereby at overtaking i have to have a look at the speedo for not exceeding the max speed rating of the tyre.
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
What I am saying is how fast do you wonna go on the road on a very knobbly tire? and what is the likelihood of keeping up 130km/hr on dirt all day to wreck a tire?

I don't see much to worrying about.
On the road... not that fast. On the fire roads connecting trails... well over 80mph as often as I can!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
ABuck99

Oddometer: 488
Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same thought- in addition to gettiing more discussion about KTM using the 140 908rr on the 2013baja.

I'll be pushing Motoz to develop a 150/70-18. I think worldwide there would be enough volume to support development. If they can keep the price point under $150, they ought to kill it since tkc80's & 908rr are significantly more expensive. The unique tread design of these HT work very well off road and are surprisingly stable on road-that is on the smaller bikes (690 and under). They need some compound adjustment and rienforcement for the larger displacement bikes like 950/990. I've sold some 140/80-18 to SE owners and they commented that the tread blocks cracked at the base where the blocks meet the base of the tire. This wasn't a failure , but a noticeable weakness. Considering how agressive my SE owners ride on/off road, I think the weight and torque of the 950/990 is reaching the limits of the current HT 140.

If you have had positive experience with this tire and want further development of a true fittment for the adv (150/70-18) email motoz and ask for it.
www.motoz.com.au/
Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
The new Adventure R has an even wider 4.5 inch rim. That's beyond stretching it (pun intended) for a 908 or anything else currently available in a real knobby (not counting TKC's, etc.) Maybe that will get one of the tire manufacturers in gear to produce us a true knobby tire that will fit the older Adventure better.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I've noted this in a couple other threads concerning tires, but I ran this tire on the rear last summer from Omaha to CJDesigns tech/rider weekend. It bordered on 100+ degrees the whole way there and back. Going out was hotter and mostly non-highway, coming back was ~500 miles pure highway. Bike was loaded and speeds were ~80mph (more for passing).

The tire never even hiccuped. There are cracks at the base of the blocks as others have noted.

This is on a stock rear rim.

Only downside is the immense road noise, but if you're not on pavement, it's not an issue.

I'd be in for one that fits properly, at least until I get a thinner rim.