Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #316
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I was planning on a revalve at a local shop. I didn't know if a spacer was something they would do...the forks I got have 12" of travel, so I need to reduce it a few inches
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #317
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
I was planning on a revalve at a local shop. I didn't know if a spacer was something they would do...the forks I got have 12" of travel, so I need to reduce it a few inches
I'm sure they can put in a spacer for you. Call and ask.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #318
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Pretty pumped, but got a set of Husky forks coming my way. No idea when the guy is going to ship them, but hopefully I'll get working on them next week. I also just got a set of TKC80s to replace the OEM Pirelli Scorpions. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions once I have the forks in hand and opened up. Never taken forks off, so this will be new territory for me.

Anyone else looking for forks? I've spent an ungodly amount of time 3 and 4 times a day neurotically checking sites for forks until I landed these, so I know of a 2 or 3 out there if you want to PM me.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #319
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Mine arrive tomorrow!

For those that have done it, what is the usual turn around for the machining?
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #320
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
Mine arrive tomorrow!

For those that have done it, what is the usual turn around for the machining?
Awesome! I think it really depends on the shop you use and how busy they are. Also, make sure they completely understand what you want done. Machining it really doesn't take long at all. Setting up would take half the time of the actual work!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #321
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Awesome! I think it really depends on the shop you use and how busy they are. Also, make sure they completely understand what you want done. Machining it really doesn't take long at all. Setting up would take half the time of the actual work!
I have found the best way to do it is to take everything apart and bring the following to the machine shop:
1) bring both BMW bottom feet/lug obviously
2) one of the donor fork bottom adjusters
3) one of the donor fork bottom feet/lug

That way they can see how it all goes together and can measure the donor lug set up to match the machining to be done.

Turn around time on the 2 sets I've had done is about 1-2 weeks.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #322
surferdude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Husky Shiver forks on eBay

I just ordered a set of new take-off Shivers from a 2004 Husky and the guy says he has more sets. They were $250+35 shipping and brand new. If you search eBay "Marzochhi 45mm" you will find the seller or PM me. They should arrive later this week - if anyone has had their 800GS forks machined in the Seattle area send me a PM with details. I may just have Alex at Konflict do the entire job but looking to save a few $.
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #323
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

After riding a few days I've determined the front ride height is a little high, but everything else seems perfect. Going to drop the legs in the trees 1/2" and go from there.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #324
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
After riding a few days I've determined the front ride height is a little high, but everything else seems perfect. Going to drop the legs in the trees 1/2" and go from there.
There are marks on the tops of the fork tubes. I always had mine up through the triples.

Did you shorten yours 1" or stock length?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #325
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oops, I meant raise
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #326
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Oops, I meant raise
I knew what you meant. It's always a connundrum. Raise the forks vs. drop the triples.

Dropping the front end by 5-10mm will make the bike turn in more quickly and handle better for some folks. It will make the front end a bit more twitchy under acceleration. Different bikes get different solutions.

On my GSXR-750 race bike the preferred set up is actually to raise the front 5-7mm (bringing them to flush with the triples or even 5mm down into the triples) and also raising the rear by putting a 5-7mm shim at the shock clevis (stack of washers). It raises the bike and makes it handle and turn in better. Weird right? But that is what the trackday & race pace needs on that bike.

On the F800GS from day one I popped the forks up 5mm. It always handled better and it made the rear shock work better.

Why? I think it put a bit more weight on the front during decel. Which would also add to the front end woes with the stock forks. Once I got the front end done with the Shiver forks the front end was 10x better and the rear shock worked "ok" for me at 185lbs. With luggage & gear it was still terrible but solo it worked ok but not great.

Still time for Elka shocks
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #327
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Ya, that's the issue I'm having. I think now that it's sprung correctly the ride height is a little higher than stock and I can feel the lazy turn-in. It puts too much load on the rear end.

Yes, the new shock should solve this issue :)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #328
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Ya, that's the issue I'm having. I think now that it's sprung correctly the ride height is a little higher than stock and I can feel the lazy turn-in. It puts too much load on the rear end.

Yes, the new shock should solve this issue :)
Drop it about 5 mm at a time and test ride. There are markings on the fork tube. You'll be surprised how much a difference 5mm can make.

Through a few years of riding track days, reading online, and learning I put together some tips on tuning in suspension. Give it a read but YMMV. This was put together for my track bike but the general principals still apply. Works for me, may not for you. Note: the first part on reading tires is for street bikes. The second part on handling method applies more to DS bikes and tires Suspension Tuning Tips
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #329
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude View Post
I just ordered a set of new take-off Shivers from a 2004 Husky and the guy says he has more sets. They were $250+35 shipping and brand new. If you search eBay "Marzochhi 45mm" you will find the seller or PM me. They should arrive later this week - if anyone has had their 800GS forks machined in the Seattle area send me a PM with details. I may just have Alex at Konflict do the entire job but looking to save a few $.
I looked very hard at these and almost got them before buying the used set I found. Good luck with your swap!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #330
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Drop it about 5 mm at a time and test ride. There are markings on the fork tube. You'll be surprised how much a difference 5mm can make.

Through a few years of riding track days, reading online, and learning I put together some tips on tuning in suspension. Give it a read but YMMV. This was put together for my track bike but the general principals still apply. Works for me, may not for you. Note: the first part on reading tires is for street bikes. The second part on handling method applies more to DS bikes and tires Suspension Tuning Tips
Those links are going to prove invaluable to me once I start playing with the setup! Thanks!

DSJ's Shenanigans