Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,680
The build quality on the tourmaster stuff is great, ime. I got 4 yrs out of my first mesh jacket and pants from them. Never crash tested the stuff, or expected great protection in a crash. But I figured it was much better than nothing.

Those flex pants are at the top of my list, Mug just got me thinking about what I do. When I am out on the bike, I rarely remove my mesh pants. Maybe some dedicated moto pants with a liner could replace my jeans and I could wear only one pair of pants with similar protection.

My other thought was an Olympia 1 pc suit. About $600, but appears to be a decent piece of gear. I would go mesh.
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Tourmaster Flex. I've got 4 seasons on a jacket and pants, on or off road no matter
I just wish they offered the Flex jacket in hi-viz orange and hi-viz green.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 951
I would highly recommend the Spidi Multitech jacket. It is a great mix of pressure suit and jacket and is as breathable as possible. Full armor, including chest, to boot.
http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...ech-armor.html
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I would highly recommend the Spidi Multitech jacket. It is a great mix of pressure suit and jacket and is as breathable as possible. Full armor, including chest, to boot.
http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...ech-armor.html
Those look very interesting. Too bad no Hi-Viz...

I'm not 100% sure I will buy Hi-Viz this time... but I if I look at offerings that don't have Hi_Viz, I lose the option by somebody else's choice...
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,654
Hi Viz

I have a lot of mony invested in cool looking riding gear. Now, I am sorry I didnt buy any "HEY LOOK AT ME AM HERE MF" day glow riding gear. I now throw on a $5 hi viz vest over my $600 jacket.

I like every advantage I can get....

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
I would highly recommend the Spidi Multitech jacket.
That is interesting. L'il spendy, but their new stuff usually is.

My very first textile jacket was an eBay closeout Spidi short road jacket. Kinda basic and didn't really fit me but damn the build quality and materials were very impressive

My 2p on High-Viz: i don't rely on being seen, period. My survival strategy, threat ID, and second-by-second evolving Contingency List (ie: Escape Hatch Possibles) involve going around, through, or over problem zones and threats. IMHO by the time you're relying on your gear to get a cager's attention, it's way too late. I'd rather GTF outta there with skills and power etc and let the damn zombie cagers crash into each other. YMMV
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post

My 2p on High-Viz: i don't rely on being seen, period. My survival strategy, threat ID, and second-by-second evolving Contingency List (ie: Escape Hatch Possibles) involve going around, through, or over problem zones and threats. IMHO by the time you're relying on your gear to get a cager's attention, it's way too late. I'd rather GTF outta there with skills and power etc and let the damn zombie cagers crash into each other. YMMV
This

and loud pipes
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #23
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
This

and loud pipes
Yes, I too have survived this way for the last 30+ years without a get-off on pavement.

But Hi-Viz isn't like wearing a highway safety vest anymore. There are some sharp looking, well made jackets in Hi-Viz. Why not add an advantage?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #24
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
I rate high vis right along side of headlight flashers. I don't think they cause anyone to realize "hey! that's a motorcycle!" and adds the benefit that if it does draw attention to you there is a greater possibility of target fixation on the part of the cage zombie if something goes south. I'd rather be unseen and able to avoid shit on my own than be targeted by mistake and be chased by a cage that's fixated on my jacket.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,654
See everybody has ONE!

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #26
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
I have the Phoenix 5.0 Jacket I guess it is. It's OK, but you and I both know that unless you're moving... wearing anything like layered mesh is still warmer than we'd like it.

I hate to say it, but it gets so hot down here that I may go for an armored shirt. I know, I know - not going to help with road rash too much... but something is better than nothing, right?

I tried on the Fox Titan armored jacket. Now while I always thought these things looked cool, when I put one on at Cycle Gear last week... I looked like a tool wearing one (and I'm not particularly fat or ungainly... it just looked foolish on a 42 year old). Now I tried on the white one to reflect heat... maybe black would look better? But wow... if I thought I was getting looks wearing the white Phoenix 5.0 jacket in the summer heat, the Fox would really have people shaking their heads.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #27
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 951
Another one to consider is the Forcefield Pro Shirt. High CE rating on the armor but the material of the shirt will not handle much road rash. It is made to be a piece worn under a protective shell but when its hotter than blue blazes it may be the best option. The material is highly breathable and moisture wicking. I wear mine under my regular leather jacket when we ride vintage street bikes. Gives me the look I am going for without any protection lacking.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #28
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

I have also considered the armored shirts but my concern is showing up at the office all sweaty and looking like a laCrosse player just coming in from a game.

At least with a jacket I can wear appropriate office attire and just carry in the jacket, not change out of my game pads at my desk like I was in a locker room.

Definitively, there are days during the florida summer where it's simply too hot to ride. I guess just like there are days that are too cold to ride up North.

Shit, most of the summer it's too hot to get work done on the bikes in the garage. Fan or not, it's just too hot.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #29
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
[QUOTE=Vankaye;21067751]I have also considered the armored shirts but my concern is showing up at the office all sweaty and looking like a laCrosse player just coming in from a game.

At least with a jacket I can wear appropriate office attire and just carry in the jacket, not change out of my game pads at my desk like I was in a locker room.
QUOTE]

This is certainly a point I've considered as well. Problem with anything beyond a mesh jacket is that my work shirt (long-sleeve dress shirts - that I iron each morning) would get wrinkled to hell.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #30
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
I went with the Joe Rocket UFO 2.0 because overall the jacket has more lighter colors. I have the blue and white, all white on the shoulders!!! Plenty of mesh and air flow and for the me the less black the better!!! And to me, yes the lighter colors make a huge difference!!!!

I have the Olympia Airglide 3 pants and they are awesome!!!! Again, get the lighter colors, the silver is great, I can wear them all day long in the summer, no problems, along with the UFO 2.0 jacket. If and when I replace the UFO 2 I would probably look at the airglide 3 jacket because if the pants are that good I would have to think that the jacket is also.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote