Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #31
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
Yes. It also has to be removed to clean the oil screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
The 110 and 100 cc Lifans, do they need to have their clutch cover removed to clean out behind the interior of the clutch assembly?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

My Lifan 200 dual sport bike has turned over 40,000 miles. The engine is running as good as ever and has never had a single problem. Oil changes, valve adjustments, centrifugal filter cleaning, and one spark plug over all those miles. It is among the most reliable bikes I've ever owned in 46 years of riding.

Had to tow my friend's Suzuki 400 with under 10,000 miles back to camp with it last week.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #33
SpannerX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
My Lifan 200 dual sport bike has turned over 40,000 miles. The engine is running as good as ever and has never had a single problem. Oil changes, valve adjustments, centrifugal filter cleaning, and one spark plug over all those miles. It is among the most reliable bikes I've ever owned in 46 years of riding.

Had to tow my friend's Suzuki 400 with under 10,000 miles back to camp with it last week.

That's pretty impressive, I have to say.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #34
sintegua
Principiante

Oddometer: 16
I have owned 2 Lifan bikes. The first one, 100cc, 4T.... very reliable. I used it as a daily conmute, very cheap, fun to drive... a bit "small" for me, but at the end, a nice bike. I have made with it more than 40,000kms when I sold it.... no major repairs, just normal service, and electrical plant change at 38,000 kms more or less.

The other one is my scooter, 7 years with me and almost 50,000 kms with me. Almostg the same history, normal service, but with this I have put new cilinder, and pistons 15,000kms ago (the motor seize up). The spare parts for this motorcycles are very cheap in my country, I just spend $27.00 for the new cilinder, piston, rings, gasket kit.
sintegua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #35
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

First problem to report on my Lifan 140cc engine. 11,000 miles on the clock now. Under hard acceleration in first gear it feels like the chain is jumping a link on the sprocket but its internal. I suspect the shifting fork is bent, letting the dogs slip under a big load. Its spent much of its 11,000 miles being ridden off road in first and second gears. I'll split the case and have a look when I get home next month.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #36
RLK

Oddometer: 6,382
There's a great yahoo group with almost real-time questions and answers every day. I think its called honda_clone at y! groups. Theres lots of wiring diagrams detailing how to put which lifan into which C bike. 12v/6v conversions, AC or DC headlight, e-start, winkers, There's diagrams for all of it in the database.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #37
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,093
A nice examination of what happens when you thrash a C90 engine across the world..

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #38
Sam Bateman
Adventurer

Lifan 125 Exhaust Question

I've got a 1975 CT90 for which I've recently purchased a Lifan 125 semi-auto clutch to replace the destroyed original motor.
I'd like to keep this bike as stock appearing as possible and would like to use the original exhaust.
Do you think it would be too restrictive for the 125?
This is the square motor (54 bore and stroke).

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
Sam Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #39
Sam Bateman
Adventurer

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #40
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

The stock exhaust won't fit the Lifan head because the flange is different but you can make it fit with some cutting and welding. It will be more restrictive than a pit bike exhaust but probably not too bad because the stock exhaust on the CT90 is a pretty good size.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #41
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've had my first problem with a Lifan engine, the 140 with just over 11,000 miles. Under hard acceleration in low gear it momentarily pops out of gear. Won't have a chance to pull it apart until late summer but I suspect either loose shift drum stopper or a bent shift fork.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
Sam Bateman
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
The stock exhaust won't fit the Lifan head because the flange is different but you can make it fit with some cutting and welding. It will be more restrictive than a pit bike exhaust but probably not too bad because the stock exhaust on the CT90 is a pretty good size.
OK Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking as well.
I'm gonna try it and see how it works.
Really anxious to see how this 125 package will work on the CT90. I've read good things about the conversion and the Lifan seems like a super value.

Sam Bateman
Arvonia, VA
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #43
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,217
Great news about the incredible mileage you got from the 200. I understand that the 200cc engine will fit my CL100. I actually considered that option rather than splitting the cases (again) to replace the kick start shaft but I worried about the reliability of the Chinese engine.

Why is the Lifan engine a pushrod design? Is that a copy of a particular Honda? Every Honda mini bike, motor bike, 3-wheeler etc has been OHC. It almost seems like a downgrade to the CL100.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #44
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lifan actually makes both OHC and push rod 200s but the push rod engine is the most reliable and biggest seller. It's an upsized clone of a Honda CG125 engine that was/is used in bikes that were never imported to the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CG125

The only drawbacks to push rod engines is the RPM can be limited by the weight of the valve train (valve float), and a bit of clicking from the rockers. Still the red line is somewhere above 8,000 RPM. The advantage is there is no cam chain and tensioner to adjust or fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
Great news about the incredible mileage you got from the 200. I understand that the 200cc engine will fit my CL100. I actually considered that option rather than splitting the cases (again) to replace the kick start shaft but I worried about the reliability of the Chinese engine.

Why is the Lifan engine a pushrod design? Is that a copy of a particular Honda? Every Honda mini bike, motor bike, 3-wheeler etc has been OHC. It almost seems like a downgrade to the CL100.

hugemoth screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 05:03 AM
Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #45
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 186
My lifan 120(1 down 3 up manual clutch) is running strong and starts up easier then any honda motor i've had... however like most lifans and some genuine Honda's the trans is clunky and is hard to find nuetral with, the transmissions with all the gears up seem to be more solid in my experience.

with my 3.00-12 rear tire and i think 16-32(i'll edit this next time i look if it's wrong) gearing it tops out at 53mph GPS on a good day limited by RPMs.... it really loves to cruise at ~38mph, it's fine at 45 but i don't like it revving that high for more then a few miles

minimotos95 screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 04:50 PM
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote