Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #12991
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Any suggestions on the best bars for the DR? Mine are a little bent after the stack on the weekend (not as bend as my knee!). From what I have read, the stock bars were never really that good anyway...
Renthall offer a direct replacement as well as several different alternatives with different dimensions.

http://www.renthal.com/File/fit_my_b...&bikedate=2011
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #12992
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
oil query

Hey all, have just emptied the oil out of the ole girl, seems I had nearly 2.5 litres of oil in there! just a little bit more than required I think.

Mate of mine suggested to smell it and if it smells like fuel then there is something happening there but he could not exactly explain it, something about piston, rings, fuel getting thru?
What to do? she has only 17000k's and i had changed the oil and filter (around 2100ml went in) before the last big ride which covered nearly 6000k's. no metal on the magnet or in the oil pan. the filter was a bit blackish but not too bad.
Thanks for any advice!
backtodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #12993
slapper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtodirt View Post
something about piston, rings, fuel getting thru?
if you leave your fuel tap on (or it leaks) and the float valve in the carby isn't sealing properly, the float bowl will fill and excess fuel will dribble through the inlet manifold into the piston.

From there it will leak down past the rings into the bottom of the motor - hence smelling the oil to see if it has fuel in it ...

You should also check the air filter ... if this *is* happening, then the float bowl can also overflow in the other direction - toward the air filter. You'll find the filter wet with fuel and possibly a fuel puddle in the bottom of the airbox.

cheers
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #12994
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapper View Post
if you leave your fuel tap on (or it leaks) and the float valve in the carby isn't sealing properly, the float bowl will fill and excess fuel will dribble through the inlet manifold into the piston.

From there it will leak down past the rings into the bottom of the motor - hence smelling the oil to see if it has fuel in it ...

You should also check the air filter ... if this *is* happening, then the float bowl can also overflow in the other direction - toward the air filter. You'll find the filter wet with fuel and possibly a fuel puddle in the bottom of the airbox.

cheers

Thanks slapper, cleaned out the air filter when oil was done no fuel in there but I do leave the tap on and have smelt a bit of fuel in the gararge recently, will turn it off and check the carby over the weekend. I smelt the oil and it did smell a little of fuel.
Thanks for the response
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #12995
Mosanator
DR dropper!

Oddometer: 31
Is this where I say G'Day?

Not sure if this the right place but, I have been looking for a thread for noobs to introduce themselves to the site and can't find one.
So I am in Australia (Down near the Snowies of NSW) - Check.
I am riding a DR650 - Check
So here I am!

Recently returned to riding after a 30 year spell - Cars, girls, Wife, Kid, Home Loan all got in the way. But the girls don't seem interested any more, the home loan is finished and the wife gave me permission!!!
So I am back on two wheels.

Just replaced the trail (death) wings with a Pirelli MT21 up front and a Mitas E07 on the back after reading sooooo many threads on here. Haven't tried them yet, but anything has to be better than the wings.
Terrible tyres + rusty rider = big bruises and scratches OUCH .

Great to be here - can't believe the knowledge and assistance available.
Mosanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #12996
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosanator View Post
Not sure if this the right place but, I have been looking for a thread for noobs to introduce themselves to the site and can't find one.
So I am in Australia (Down near the Snowies of NSW) - Check.
I am riding a DR650 - Check
So here I am!

Recently returned to riding after a 30 year spell - Cars, girls, Wife, Kid, Home Loan all got in the way. But the girls don't seem interested any more, the home loan is finished and the wife gave me permission!!!
So I am back on two wheels.

Just replaced the trail (death) wings with a Pirelli MT21 up front and a Mitas E07 on the back after reading sooooo many threads on here. Haven't tried them yet, but anything has to be better than the wings.
Terrible tyres + rusty rider = big bruises and scratches OUCH .

Great to be here - can't believe the knowledge and assistance available.
I guess I'm not too much of a noob here anymore to say welcome. on behalf of this august bunch.

Local DR discussion happens here, but closer to home and bike agnostic happens here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21051888

I just got the OK from the doc to get back on the bike, with constraints, after some knee surgery, so I'm keen to get riding again too. I'm east of Cooma. Might even get out later this weekend.

There is a mob on the ACT thread that goes out mid week every week or so for a ride if that helps.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #12997
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
Honestly, that bike sounds awesome! Is it a Staintune exhaust system?

The scenary looks pretty good also........make sure you post some more video's.

Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #12998
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
bugga bugga bugga. Pulled the worn Trailwing off this arvo to put a secondhand Pirelli on ... and the bastard's got a split in the sidewall :(
so, the upshot is I need a front asap.
I've been trawling through this thread for a while and it seems that the MT21 gets good press - but what about on the road? I commute, so prolly 95% of my riding is bitumen.
I have an E07 on the back ...

any comments? I'll stop by GC Motorcycles tomorrow on the way to work and I'll see what they have/recommend :)
Mefo Explorer.

I have one on the front of my Wee in conjunction with the Mitas E07 on the rear.

Also have Mefo Explorers front and rear of the old KLE500.

Very happy with the performance on dirt and tar, as well as wear rate of both the Mefo Explorer and the Mitas E07

EDIT:
Yeah okay.....so after catching up on the rest of the pages I realise my input is too late, but maybe it will give someone else some insight to what might work for them.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.

Ockrocket screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 12:57 AM
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #12999
duckslider
unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer: 2,763
G'day Mediocre...........that DR sounds great!!!
what exhaust system is fitted?
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #13000
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Sound advice, except that the fuel will dribble into the combustion chamber rather than the piston.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #13001
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks slapper, cleaned out the air filter when oil was done no fuel in there but I do leave the tap on and have smelt a bit of fuel in the gararge recently, will turn it off and check the carby over the weekend. I smelt the oil and it did smell a little of fuel.
Check the float needle's tip with and without magnification for a witness line where it has been contacting the seat. If one is found, the float valve either leaks or will begin leaking soon. Make sure the needle seat o-ring fits snugly and is not cracked/hardened/deformed/shrunken/otherwise damaged. Also make sure that the float itself doesn't leak, i.e. that there's no fuel inside the two chambers. You can either hold it up to a light, in which case it should be evident if there's fuel inside, or you can put it in a container of liquid and see if one side sinks more than the other.

How many miles/km are there on the carb?

Regards,

Derek
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #13002
backtodirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Check the float needle's tip with and without magnification for a witness line where it has been contacting the seat. If one is found, the float valve either leaks or will begin leaking soon. Make sure the needle seat o-ring fits snugly and is not cracked/hardened/deformed/shrunken/otherwise damaged. Also make sure that the float itself doesn't leak, i.e. that there's no fuel inside the two chambers. You can either hold it up to a light, in which case it should be evident if there's fuel inside, or you can put it in a container of liquid and see if one side sinks more than the other.

How many miles/km are there on the carb?

Regards,

Derek
Thanks Derek, there is 17000k's on the carb but did put a 146 needle in about 6000k's ago, it all looked fine then but was a while ago so will pull it down and do what you suggested. since turning off the tap the smell of fuel has now gone.
I am off on a 3 day ride tomorrow so this should test it out and then will pull it down next weekend.
Cheers!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #13003
slapper
Adventurer

Quote:
combustion chamber rather than the piston
"cylinder" ... "piston" ...
I knew I was trying to say something useful
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #13004
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
since turning off the tap the smell of fuel has now gone.
That means only the float system has a problem, rather than the float system and the fuel tap.
Quote:
I am off on a 3 day ride tomorrow so this should test it out and then will pull it down next weekend.
I would not ride the bike at all until the issue is resolved.

Regards,

Derek
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #13005
slapper
Adventurer

Quote:
I would not ride the bike at all until the issue is resolved.
yup - if that float valve is leaking .. then it's most likely doing it whilst the bike is running as well as when it's sitting still. If it's leaking faster than the engine's using fuel (eg. at idle or v low revs) then simply switching the tap off when not running is not stopping the fuel from leaking into the oil.

Fuel in the oil is bad for all sorts of reasons (reduced lubrication, cooling etc even a low risk of an explosion is present) ... fuel leaking back through your air filter is also bad for all sorts of reasons (which might happen if you stop on an incline etc) ...

Plus .. it might get worse and you could finish up stranded :(

The risk of something bad happening is probably low if you turn the tap off every time the bike's not running. Any leaks whilst the engine's running will probably just get burned off as it dribbles into the cylinder .. in my opinion, it's not worth the risk though.

Still it's probably too late to mention all this as you've probably already gone!

cheers (hope it went okay),
Slap