Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
What to buy?? Someone help me!! Baja, "R" or left over??

A little back ground. Owned 2 990's before 07 and a 08. Sold them and went the GSA route. Right now I have my Strom and it's for sale. At first I was dead set on a new Super Tenere. I have never had one so that just makes sense....

After looking around, the KTM 990 keep calling. The bad is the dealer network, but it is getting better.

Now, what to buy..

Like the new Baja, but it is just a standard 990 with a few extras and no ABS... Plus no real deals out there.

Or, buy a left over (plenty around) save a couple bucks and get ABS. ABS is not a big deal to me, but come sale time...Everyone asks.. Does it have ABS.

Or, say give me the "R" model... I am a dirt guy, and even at 52 years old I still ride my KTM exc like I was 30.

So can you crush boys help a brother out... I am going to buy ASAP, just can't make up my mind...

Thanks Smitty
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Rodknee
don't call me "bub"

Oddometer: 1,586
i was in the same boat a few weeks ago, and ended up buying a leftover 12' abs bike. price was mid 11's, so i jumped on it. looks the same as the 13 baja, minus the bolt on farkles ktm put on it...
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,336
At this point . . . Whatever you can get a good buy on!

If you are 6' or taller . . . Get the "R"

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I ride a 09' 990R. I like it being "long legged" where I live and travel in Cambodia. I have a 30" inseam so the bike is a bit tall at a stop, but rolling it is a non stop hand full of fun. It feels like my 450 MXC on steroids, with room for my wife when she wants to.

What a problem, trying to decide between so many great bikes. I am 56 and still cover lots of miles every month. The "R" is my company car.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
A little back ground. Owned 2 990's before 07 and a 08. Sold them and went the GSA route. Right now I have my Strom and it's for sale. At first I was dead set on a new Super Tenere. I have never had one so that just makes sense....

After looking around, the KTM 990 keep calling. The bad is the dealer network, but it is getting better.

Now, what to buy..

Like the new Baja, but it is just a standard 990 with a few extras and no ABS... Plus no real deals out there.

Or, buy a left over (plenty around) save a couple bucks and get ABS. ABS is not a big deal to me, but come sale time...Everyone asks.. Does it have ABS.

Or, say give me the "R" model... I am a dirt guy, and even at 52 years old I still ride my KTM exc like I was 30.

So can you crush boys help a brother out... I am going to buy ASAP, just can't make up my mind...

Thanks Smitty
Abs is mandatory in my book, these bikes are too heavy and too fast not to have it...It will save you if you're inclined to ride the way the bike itself asks for...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
rcautox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Have you found many dealers willing to come down much on the Baja edition? Everyone I've contacted is sticking pretty close to MSRP. I have found a few leftover 2010-2012 regular models but I'm holding out for an R. You should get a regular version and let me know when you find a leftover R

Why do folks feel ABS is mandatory? My 2007 R6 didn't have it and never felt I needed it.
rcautox is offline   Reply With Quote