Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 792
276C vs Montana

I have had a 276C for a long time (maybe 7 or 8 years). I got it refurbished about a year ago and have only use it a few times since then. since then I also picked up a 950 SE that came with a 176 and touratech mount.

I also recently switched over from MapSource to Basecamp. As I am starting to look at a mount for the 276C for the 950 and learning to use basecamp, I'm wondering if I should just sell my 276C and move to the montana (found a good deal on one) and learn to use basecamp and the montana at the same time... and pick up a mount for the montana instead of the 276C...

anyone come from a 276c and move to the montana? wish they had done it sooner or could go back? I would be using it on my 950 as well as on a 450 XC that's plated but see's 90% off road use. would probably use it some in the car as well (the 276C rocks for that use).

anyway just curious to hear what the inmates think???
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
Speedy, this might be a good thread to check out. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790308

I've seen lots of people that have went from the 276c to the Montana and loved it and others that have come back and said it wasn't for them.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
SpeedyR OP
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 792
thanks BL. I'm going to sell the 176 and mounts/cables and see what that brings in and maybe try to end up with both for a while so i can "compare".

saw you might be riding sunday but I think I have plans or I'd be joining you! one of these days I'll get in a journey southward. lol.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
I'm curious about the Montana myself. I actually think it would replace my 60csx which I honestly only use to record tracks since it dumps them on the SD card. I hate navigating by it, unless I just have to. I'm just not sure I want to have a full touch screen GPS. Guess it just comes down to how well it actually works for you.

I'm still pretty attached to my 276c/376c/478 GPS's. I've got 4 of them now. Maybe I should sell one and buy the Montana.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,141
I've had a 276C for a long time but got a Montana about a year ago. I haven't used the 276C since. That said, I often think about selling it since I never use it but just haven't been able to make that final decision...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Not positive without it in front of me, but I think the 176 touratech mount can be modded to fit the 276.
Someone on here did that a few years back.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
A lot of guys I ride with switched from the 276 to the Montana and seem happy.

I switched from a 60 CX and am pretty pleased. The Montana screen is easier to see over a broad range of lighting conditions. And it is really nice not having to worry about track size limits. Plus the 60 was getting a bit unreliable.

The custom map feature of the Montana has been useful at times. One guy I ride with seems to only use custom maps - normally Benchmark maps.

Just got back from 3 days of rough riding in Moab and the Montana did great.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 883
I've never ridden with a GPS, I usually just use basic directions written on a 3x5 card clipped to the windshield.
The Montana has intrigued me. Do y'all think it'd serve me well as My First GPS (Fisher Price doesn't have one yet)?

I ride ~95% street (the other 5% being gravel parking lots and doing donuts in Effervescent's yard).

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
I am a big GPS user. But I ride mostly dirt in remote areas. I really like mapping and using the GPS.

But if you are getting along fine without one, you probably don't need one unless you are looking for a new hobby.

The Montana is expensive and there is a big learning curve to use the unit and the supporting trip planning software.

I have lots of friends who have bought GPS units and don't use them because they are just not into that sort of thing.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote