Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #241
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Hey Matt, have a great day! I am certain you will pass the test with flying colors! Three cheers for Matt!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #242
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Have a good one Matt, just think of him like a sat nav and forget he's there as he's the only one who knows where your going. Remember to ride for yourself so if theres a safe gap to take for you then take it and he sorts himself out

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #243
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Looks like I'm a real boy now!

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #244
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Well done Matt. Congratulations mate. Look forward to more posts with your extended range now. Great job mate. Really chuffed for ya!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #245
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Nice one mate, now get the deauville insured

any minors or the dream clean sheet?....thats just my professional noseyness

More fun being upright
Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #246
trackrider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Well done mate , ya fancy a jaunt up north onytime give me a yell , 5 minutes up the road from ya in Torphichen ,,K Jim
trackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #247
glenn2926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well Done Matt

I knew you would do it, if only to keep me in reading material. Looking forward to more of your ride reports. Just because you can now do more than 45 MPH does not mean you have to. Keep the photos coming.

Cheers Glenn.
glenn2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #248
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Good on you Matt!
Looks like the pom poms and cheerleading worked mate. (Sorry I drew the line at the skirt... )
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #249
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
well done and welcome to the good side of life.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #250
r1d1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Well done Matt, you're allowed to post a pic of Bathgate to celebrate

Will the thread be getting renamed with a higher speed now?
r1d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #251
MadtownMaxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Congrats!

Well done Matt.

I've been enjoying your thread and consequently got invested in your success. Nice how this place(?) connects folks.
IBA #47605
MadtownMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #252
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
Well done Matt. Congratulations mate. Look forward to more posts with your extended range now. Great job mate. Really chuffed for ya!
Thanks man. It feels good!

Got my eye on Eilean Donan Castle. If the weather behaves I'll be up there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Nice one mate, now get the deauville insured

any minors or the dream clean sheet?....thats just my professional noseyness
Got it insured and took it for a spin yesterday evening. So I rode 3 bikes in one day. Nowhere near as smooth as the Diversion (obviously) but still a huge improvement over the wee Suzuki.

3 minors! Two of them I couldn't really argue about (bit late with indicator coming off a large roundabout and not far enough to the right when exiting a one way street) as since I don't really remember doing them I figured I probably did make the mistakes!

The third one however I feel was a bit dodgy. I was told to leave an upcoming roundabout on the first exit, heading to Edinburgh. However the sign before the roundabout showed a wee dodgy exit just before the Edinburgh turn off. It turns out it's a driveway and doesn't count but it was on the roundabout info sign so my choice was to indicate left before the roundabout or indicate left once I'd passed the driveway. Since I didn't know it was a driveway until I'd passed it (it's concealed) I figured that misleading signals are instant fails and late signals are minors that I should just play it safe and indicate late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrider View Post
Well done mate , ya fancy a jaunt up north onytime give me a yell , 5 minutes up the road from ya in Torphichen ,,K Jim
That's 5 minutes down the road! I'll definitely be doing some rideouts with folk on the forum. I'll still hold everyone up, but just not as much now!

Just need the weather to change.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2926 View Post
I knew you would do it, if only to keep me in reading material. Looking forward to more of your ride reports. Just because you can now do more than 45 MPH does not mean you have to. Keep the photos coming.

Cheers Glenn.
I've never been a speed person so I won't be racing about. Even with the increased power of the Honda I won't be going all that faster than I was on the Suzuki. The Suzuki could get me up to speed (not uphill), but just took too long to do it. The Honda will allow me to get up to speed quickly and not hold up traffic on the more northern roads.

This should mean that I travel further in a day so the photos will be more varied than the ones I'm posting just now. I'm aware that as pleasant as some of my photos are, there's not a lot of new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmills View Post
Good on you Matt!
Looks like the pom poms and cheerleading worked mate. (Sorry I drew the line at the skirt... )
Haha it did! I'm blaming my three minor faults on your lack of commitment though. I needed the skirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
well done and welcome to the good side of life.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1d1 View Post
Well done Matt, you're allowed to post a pic of Bathgate to celebrate

Will the thread be getting renamed with a higher speed now?
That would mean going back with my camera The screengrab from Google maps above will have to suffice!

I did consider a name change, but it's only a Honda Deauville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadtownMax View Post
Well done Matt.

I've been enjoying your thread and consequently got invested in your success. Nice how this place(?) connects folks.
Thanks man. Yeah I love that people from all over the world read this. And I like how the Ride Reports tend to avoid the bickering that occurs elsewhere on the forum. Everyone has their own opinions but we all have bikes in common.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a quick run on the Honda last night. Was probably a bit too tired for it after what was a pretty long day but couldn't help myself. It's been snowing and raining for weeks but almost as if it were fate, the evening I pass my test the weather is to be nice. Dry, no wind with clear skies. how could I resist. The first two reports from last year were Glen Coe and then Queensferry. I figured I'd stick with tradition and follow up my birthday run to Glen Coe (a full month ago!) with a brief encounter with some bridges.

The sun was setting as I was heading out. It was right behind me all the way and lit the road in front of me beautifully with fiery orange. I was aware that I'd be heading back with the sun in my eyes though which was a concern.

The roads were quiet and the bike behaved as I hoped it would. It was on odd feeling being out on my own on my own big bike. Enjoyably odd.

I wanted to be back before it was dark so it really was a whirlwind tour of Queensferry. I pulled in, grabbed a couple of photos and headed home.

The Bridges:

The ride back was pretty unpleasant actually. The sun seemed to be going out its way to get into mine. This time of year the roads are filthy and my visor was covered in dirt. So whenever the sun hit it I was effectively blind. I had to raise my visor a few times to see at all but of course it's freezing here so that was painful as well! What we do to ourselves eh? It was fine once I got back into the towns and the buildings blocked the sun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have my full licence and larger capacity bike I'll be able to do longer trips. There are a load of Islands I've never visited that I want to see. Further down the line I'd like to visit Ireland, Wales and the bits of England I need to go through to visit Wales

That'll all be done over a period of years but the trip I'm planning at the moment is the long way up (I should trademark that) to John o' Groats. Normally you'd get on the A9 and drive straight up.

A9:

However the A9 is long, boring and dangerous (because it's long and boring). Parts of it are nice when you get up north but I've driven it a few times so want to see the other side of the country.

My Route:

It's still at the early planning stages, I haven't decided on the route home yet nor when I'm going but it should take me a week to get there and back. My cousin lives in Thurso so I can stay up there for a day or two. The idea is to take my other, younger cousin as pillion as she's in the scouts so she can show me how to set up and tent properly and be my camera man!

Won't be for a few months yet though but thought I'd share for those interested.

My Flickr

Matt 82 screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 04:51 PM
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #253
AdvSplash
Find the world

Oddometer: 46
Congratulations Matt!

The route looks great to, the same as I did last year when I came up just in reverse!

Here's to a great biking future!

Subscribed!

'12 Honda NC700X

*One Young Rider. One Destination. One Week.
AdvSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #254
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

3 minors is a v.good pass mate, 7 I believe is the UK average. yes the thrid one is harsh, I would of given it as 2nd exit for edinburgh as thats how its signed. anyway, not like you get an bonus's for how many minors so top job and keep riding(and pic taking). Never know I may get up your way this year on the Versys, was twice last yr(once on the bike to aberdeen and once in a minibus for the 3 peaks challenge to nevis)

More fun being upright
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #255
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Laugh

Here's to ya, Matt! Nice work putting that test behind you! And now the world's opened up a bit more! Your ride up to Johnny Groats looks fabulous. 'Course all your rides and reports are excellent! Thanks again for letting us catch a lift with you!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote