Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Simon L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
By the way youngan, it would be really nice to catch up with you somewhere in Norway, we will be bringing some Belgian beers if you are not choosing for Italy...

'If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.' - Paulo Coelho
Simon L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
ubaat, great summary :) Couldn't agree more. I also think the Atlantic highway is overrated. It's 4 km of interesting road, two pretty but not stunning brigdes whitch look nice from one angle. I think the only time it's actually worth the bother of going there is during a major storm when You can actually see waves going over the bridges. Not sure though if I wanted to drive a bike then there ;)

I also heard (haven't tested yet) that the island north of Lofoten (Senja) is also worth a look. But that's second hand news.

On other usefull tips. I just got a callendar from NMCU (norwegian motorcycle union) and it contains a very good list of people and motorcycle clubs willing to help with accomodation, repairs and rescue. Something like emergency friendly people contact list in Norway. If somebody wants it I guess I could scan it and send through PM :) It's a public info but rules about posting scans on this forum are a bit vague.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Simon L
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
I just got a callendar from NMCU (norwegian motorcycle union) and it contains a very good list of people and motorcycle clubs willing to help with accomodation, repairs and rescue. Something like emergency friendly people contact list in Norway. If somebody wants it I guess I could scan it and send through PM :) It's a public info but rules about posting scans on this forum are a bit vague.
I'm very interested !

'If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.' - Paulo Coelho
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
ubaat, great summary :) Couldn't agree more. I also think the Atlantic highway is overrated. It's 4 km of interesting road, two pretty but not stunning brigdes whitch look nice from one angle. I think the only time it's actually worth the bother of going there is during a major storm when You can actually see waves going over the bridges. Not sure though if I wanted to drive a bike then there ;)

I also heard (haven't tested yet) that the island north of Lofoten (Senja) is also worth a look. But that's second hand news.

On other usefull tips. I just got a callendar from NMCU (norwegian motorcycle union) and it contains a very good list of people and motorcycle clubs willing to help with accomodation, repairs and rescue. Something like emergency friendly people contact list in Norway. If somebody wants it I guess I could scan it and send through PM :) It's a public info but rules about posting scans on this forum are a bit vague.
Jess, good summary from ubaat. Couple of things I have noticed. Yes, the bridge is fun, but not worth to visit(short and expencive, if you dont come from south and ride then back) I like the ride on E roads. It´s nice and beautiful from Trondheim and up to North Cape, especially the northern part.
Also the finnish part is nice. We in northern countries forgett sometimes that people in south of europe lives near on eatch other. I often stop and lissen to the silence.

Also, I found the isle Senja much better than Lofoten. Ride around and you also have to vist all the return(english word) roads(maybe skip the road 860)
Good thing is, ferry Bodö-Åå and then ferry from Andenes(Lofoten) to Senja?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
Stijn_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubaath View Post
In Norway, try avoiding ....

A pretty good alternative to camping is renting a "hytte" - a small cabin/hut, usually equipped with beds etc. They're as common as sheep along most roads.
... in the dry season.
Do these hytte need to be reservated up front? Or is it possible to check in at late - unholy hours- and pay cash or visa? I got a motel-kinda-thingy id about this now... Correct me if wrong? Be it a wooden shed with bunks in it, is equally fine
Stijn_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
ubaath
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
That depends - some of them are run by families sort of like a Bed&Breakfast, and they usually have signs by the road side that tell you if they have available capacity. Usually, the sign reads "Hytte" if capacity is available, and if not, the word "Hytte" is crossed out (there are variations on this them).

In these cases, no advance reservation is usually required, but "common decency" should be observed as to how late one would want to knock on the door and ask about renting the cabin.

In other locations, hyttes are part of campgrounds that usually have a front office with hours of operation. These are generally closer to towns/cities, and may require advance booking.

Also note that in Norway, wild camping is allowed, but there are certain rules that apply, eg. no open fires, make sure you do not disturb anyone when you set up your camp (don't camp in somebody's back yard or wheat field), and most importantly: leave no trace behind, i.e. make sure that you take everything with you that you used when camping.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon L View Post
I'm very interested !
I'll scan it later in the afternoon and PM You :)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Simon L
Adventurer

Quote:
I'll scan it later in the afternoon and PM You :)
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
youngan OP
-------

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon L View Post
By the way youngan, it would be really nice to catch up with you somewhere in Norway, we will be bringing some Belgian beers if you are not choosing for Italy...
Hi Simon,

Sorry; didn't see this until now; haven't looked at the forum in a while. Yes, love to meet up if we're in the same area at the same time. You can email me direct at: youngan1@yahoo.com
youngan is offline   Reply With Quote