Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #91
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,062
This engine has only a single plug. I've seen a couple of references to 2 plugs. Where on the engine is the serial number? I found the frame number, but didn't bother looking for the engine number.

Had a KDX400 some time back which had similar weight/horsepower numbers and it ran great. Same basic engine as the KX series, but heavier flywheel with more low end torque, but you better be holding tight when the rpms hit the power band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
The engine is powerful with 43,5 - 42,5 hp at 7,500 rpm. The ignition is a special Femsa unit with two plugs, one near the exhaust (warmer unit) and one behind (colder unit).

It's said the power and is more on-off like.

l personal prefer more the slow going Sherpas with much torque.
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #92
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,062
Starting to clean up the El Bandido. Engine serial matches. Definitely a 1968/9 Mk18. I have tracked down pictures on the Web showing both single and dual plug heads. Not sure what the significance between them.

Piston is free and I am soaking it with WD-40, penetrate, and light oil. I don't think I'll remove the head until I can get hold of a manual of some sorts. Heavy varnish in the carb so that will get a good soaking and cleaning. Suggestions for cleaning the inside of the fiberglass tank? At least I have a local source for ehtanol free gas. Anyting special about the fork seals? What weight oil was recommended for the forks? Any clues to completely disassembling the forks? Recommendation for rear shock rebuild?

Pirelli MT07 tires front and rear in remarkably good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
This engine has only a single plug. I've seen a couple of references to 2 plugs. Where on the engine is the serial number? I found the frame number, but didn't bother looking for the engine number.
Wansfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #93
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
The engine is powerful with 43,5 - 42,5 hp at 7,500 rpm. The ignition is a special Femsa unit with two plugs, one near the exhaust (warmer unit) and one behind (colder unit).

It's said the power and is more on-off like.

l personal prefer more the slow going Sherpas with much torque.
On-off is correct. Damn thing is a rocket. Kicking one over is a chore too.
The ones I bought were short track raced. The guy said it killed every 4 stroke in the 500 class.
Several things are unique on the bike. Double down tube frame, center mount exhaust port, gear driven primary...all unique to the Bandido.
Most reviews or stories I've read of it said that no one would race them because they were "too much to handle" back then. They all preferred the pursang
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:42 AM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #94
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Several things are unique on the bike. Double down tube frame, center mount exhaust port, gear driven primary...all unique to the Bandido.
Well, the Bandido and the El Montadero.

Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #95
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
El Montadero

That photo looks good, maybe mine will be back in that condition one day, all though this thread does inspire me to get it done!

I am relatively new to Bultacos, I rode (raced) my first one at Mid-Ohio in 2005. A long travel 250 Pursang that a close friend put me on for the MX... That is only the beginning of the story...

Growing up as a kid of the 80s, all I knew was Honda and Suzuki's, only heard rumors of old twin shock euro bikes. In the late 90s I found and restored an old Honda TL125, played on it in the yard and put it in the corner of the garage as a show piece.

Around 2003 a guy I work with bought a KTM 450 and mentioned trail riding, I had an RM250 at the time and said yeah, lets go. So I lived closer to the riding area than he, so he stopped by to pick me up. I had a few bikes in the garage, the RM, a DRZ, GSXR, and the little Honda. He went straight to the TL and said, you ride vintage trials? I said just in the yard and I used the bike as a pit bike at road atlanta one year.. so not really.

After the trail ride we were having dinner, he started talking about Ossa and Bultacos, racing in AHRMA, etc, etc. I said that sounds kind of cool, tell me more. So the short story is that he invites me over to his house where it is like Bultaco heaven - Sherpas, Matadors, Pursangs (all sizes 125s/250s/360s). Plenty of Ossa's too- Plonkers, MAR's, and a Stiletto. Come to find out he is an expert level trials, MX, and off road, and can make a vintage bike sing!!

So of course I started going to races and having a great time on vintage bikes, I have mostly stayed with my Suzuki roots with a PE and TM, but I ran across this El Montadero a couple of years ago, another friend's father bought it new and it sat for years rusting, but complete. So I need to finish it, they are too cool of brand not to restore and keep.

Here is a video of me riding Mark's Pursang 360 and he on a Pursang 250, a couple of other friends on an PV RM250, and a Elsinore 250. We set up a grass track in Mark's field a few times a year and have a great afternoon of riding.

https://vimeo.com/20016236
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #96
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I had a 360 Astro, I bought it from a Monterey Area Expert named John Brown. It still had all the original thumbs up bolts, stock pipe, Hurst/Airheart rear brake, brake and shifter were both on the right side.. I never finished a race on that bike, due to my limited mechanical skills at the time. John Brown did real well on it. I think I paid $400 for it, and sold it for $400. Probably worth $3500 now.
A friend just sold a nice one for 6600.00,it sold quick.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #97
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Certainly ... you don't need the brakes for dirt track, I know that ...

but when using the bike somewere else you will need them.

And as said for design reasons I like bikes with brakes and with a lamp in front, as older the bike as more lamp you find in the front ...
Dude,that is heresy even thinking of putting a ft brake and headlight on an Astro! Please pick another bike to defile.

Its like putting a G-string on that Mona Lisa gal,it just aint right.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #98
Donzzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Dude,that is heresy even thinking of putting a ft brake and headlight on an Astro! Please pick another bike to defile.

I'm with him^^^
Donzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #99
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
IMHO, Bultaco made some of the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced. I especially loved the Alpina, Metralla, and Astros, as well as the Pursangs and the Fronterras.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #100
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
On-off is correct. Damn thing is a rocket. Kicking one over is a chore too.
The ones I bought were short track raced. The guy said it killed every 4 stroke in the 500 class.
Most reviews or stories I've read of it said that no one would race them because they were "too much to handle" back then. They all preferred the pursang
They were also real heavy,Ive parted two Bandido's and the frame alone weighed a ton,big thick tubes of classic spanish plumbing pipe steel. I had just a Bandido engine turn up in a pile of parts,I had wondered why the kicker was on the right side.

That rusty engine parted for over 1000.00,most all of it went back to Spain.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #101
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:

Just for record:

Which you might not know, Bultaco itself sold the Astro in Europe with front wheel brakes and lights !

And thus again a head-driven myth is destroyed. I personal have no problem with that.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #102
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Just for record:

Which you might not know, Bultaco itself sold the Astro in Europe with front wheel brakes and lights !

And thus again a head-driven myth is destroyed. I personal have no problem with that.
You dont by chance have a picture of that do you?
Id love to see an Astro done up like a streetbike and have never heard of such a thing. Brake and shift low on the right,short wheelbase and real quick steering,that would make an interesting streetbike.

I googled street legal bultaco Astro for awhile,tried european,spanish,finnish,nothing came up.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 11:56 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #103
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You dont by chance have a picture of that do you?
Id love to see an Astro done up like a streetbike and have never heard of such a thing. Brake and shift low on the right,short wheelbase and real quick steering,that would make an interesting streetbike.

I googled street legal bultaco Astro for awhile,tried european,spanish,finnish,nothing came up.
I can look up, I know it from the book Bultaco eine Leidenschaft für den Sport from François Stauffacher (Switzerland), he has written some books about the Bultaco brand.

The Astro did not sell in any mentionable numbers in Europe, here is a small picture of a European Astro from a Spanish blog:

http://www.portalmotos.com/revista/n...edas/9437.html

To find information from other countries you must look up in their native language, expecially when looking for information in countrys with Roman speech as they rarly speak English. For looking up Finnish you better use a very good English - Finnish dictionary (Finnish is very complicated in combination of letters for words and speech in general).
Old 03-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #104
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Here a ressource for good books about Bultaco of which some are currently still available, sadly many of them are sold out:

http://www.todotrial.com/ttshop/libro-enduro.htm

Which are also available, (in Spanish and Italian, some in English):

http://www.libromotor.com/busqueda/l...squeda=bultaco
Old 03-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #105
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I can look up, I know it from the book Bultaco eine Leidenschaft für den Sport from François Stauffacher (Switzerland), he has written some books about the Bultaco brand.

The Astro did not sell in any mentionable numbers in Europe, here is a small picture of a European Astro from a Spanish blog:

http://www.portalmotos.com/revista/n...edas/9437.html

To find information from other countries you must look up in their native language, expecially when looking for information in countrys with Roman speech as they rarly speak English. For looking up Finnish you better use a very good English - Finnish dictionary (Finnish is very complicated in combination of letters for words and speech in general).
That Bultaco looks like a street going Bultaco with a homemade copy of an Astro paintjob.
Thats what I did on my 72 200 Sherpa S back in the day,I wanted an Astro so bad I found an Astro seat,then painted my tank to match the seat and Voilah! I had a 200 Astro.

Im always interested in Bultaco stuff,I'll check out those books.

The coolest thing Ive found recently is a 1976 Montesa 250 Enduro,it runs great and is 90% restored needing only paint on the tank and the proper seat cover,It was a deal and I had to move fast to snag it.