Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #151
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Eek Almost eerie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Boy_Slim View Post
That looks familiar

What a great ride report you really captured the flavour of the trip and not just all the great food.

Almost eerie how similar the pics are.

We had to rush to take that one before more tourists showed up.

Thanks for resuscitating the RR. Rarely a day goes by without us have a thought about that trip.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #152
reubenRN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Excellent RR!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #153
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

What a ride it was.

Rare does a day go by that I don't think about the amazing trip we had. We have had the chance to do a bit of riding in Taipei, Thailand, India, and have also ridden the US Mid and Southwest since then. We are leaving for 6 weeks in Baja this fall.

A practice run for South America next year.

Thanks for resurecting the thread.

The Southern Episode
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #154
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
A great ride report, you two...pix, words, everything!

Steve
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #155
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177

Thanks for the great RR! We're talking about a European trip in the coming years (when we've saved enough) and this report has given me some excellent information. It looks like you and Jackie had a wonderful time.

Good luck on your trip to TDF - I look forward to that RR as well!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #156
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Nice to see some interest still

I am still amazed that once in a while someone pulls the cobweb of this ride report and gives it a read.

Yep the prep is full on for TDF, departure somewhere between Sept 20 and Oct 1st.

Jackie and Valentino are getting prepped for another epic ride.

The Southern Episode
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #157
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Well, ac_elite, when you produce a quality RR, folks will keep going back.

Thanks for posting it!

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #158
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Superb report, René!
Will you be reporting from the road on your way through the Americas this Fall / Winter? If so, I'll be looking forward to following along with you two! Do you have a plan outline yet? Have you chosen the bike for it?
I want to ride the Americas with my wife so your approach for two-up is of particular interest to me.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #159
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Superb report, René!
Will you be reporting from the road on your way through the Americas this Fall / Winter? If so, I'll be looking forward to following along with you two! Do you have a plan outline yet? Have you chosen the bike for it?
I want to ride the Americas with my wife so your approach for two-up is of particular interest to me.

Yes, I cannot wait to read the RR of your South America Sojourn!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #160
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Cool2 That's the plan

I have been debating (with myself) about doing a live RR, and I will do it. The ride will be long enough that if there isn't an update for a few days I will not feel too compelled to post.

Dave6253 started a really good thread on "The Art of the Ride Report", there are several posts with the pros and cons of doing during or after.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596215

Since I managed to get a few inmates interested by a post-ride RR. I'll see if I can match it a live one.

The steed will be a 2008 GSA, Heavy bike of course... we know that story.

But to me the perfect touring platform that will allow you not to be limited to strictly tarmac. At least on road that the ST could not have taken us.

We rode to Baja to test the gear, and passed by Coco's corner by doing the stretch from Puertocito to Mex 1, and I will be the first to admit that with my level of experience on non-Tarmac, and the weight of the bike it was challenging but great fun.

The Southern Episode
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #161
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Cool. sounds like you've got a good handle on how you're gonna tackle it. Personally, I like the excitement of keeping up with a live report, and interacting is invaluable, not only to ask questions but also to be able to potentially influence the course of the trip.

It's fine to want to improve our writing, photography, and expression of passion. But it's not like you need a lesson in ride reporting. This one has great expression , and you started this one at the end of 2008 while he started writing about his quest for improvement in the middle of 2010. Sure, I see technical errors in the writing, but the ideas are still conveyed well and in an interesting, passionate fashion. And you sure know how to post a mean photo. Look at this last one; very captivating! Many could take lessons from you.

I've been eliciting opinions about what would be a good bike to use to ride South America two-up, and the GS comes up a lot. Like you, I'm concerned about the weight of the behemoth in offroad conditions. I'd like to be able to demonstrate to some of those cool folks who live there who ride how we ride dirt around here. I've tried that to some degree, and earned a bit of a reputation (loco), but there's only so much one can do with a 125 from the seventies. But when we're taking our ladies along, it's critical that they be comfortable. That indicates a larger, heavier, and plusher bike and fewer excursions down mean dirt roads we would otherwise not be able to pass up if we were solo on a lighter bike.

Are you going to set a firm time window or take as long as you need? Will you be on a tight and strict schedule, or keeping things open to be able to explore opportunities as they arise on the road?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #162
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool. sounds like you've got a good handle on how you're gonna tackle it. Personally, I like the excitement of keeping up with a live report, and interacting is invaluable, not only to ask questions but also to be able to potentially influence the course of the trip.

It's fine to want to improve our writing, photography, and expression of passion. But it's not like you need a lesson in ride reporting. This one has great expression , and you started this one at the end of 2008 while he started writing about his quest for improvement in the middle of 2010. Sure, I see technical errors in the writing, but the ideas are still conveyed well and in an interesting, passionate fashion. And you sure know how to post a mean photo. Look at this last one; very captivating! Many could take lessons from you.

I've been eliciting opinions about what would be a good bike to use to ride South America two-up, and the GS comes up a lot. Like you, I'm concerned about the weight of the behemoth in offroad conditions. I'd like to be able to demonstrate to some of those cool folks who live there who ride how we ride dirt around here. I've tried that to some degree, and earned a bit of a reputation (loco), but there's only so much one can do with a 125 from the seventies. But when we're taking our ladies along, it's critical that they be comfortable. That indicates a larger, heavier, and plusher bike and fewer excursions down mean dirt roads we would otherwise not be able to pass up if we were solo on a lighter bike.

Are you going to set a firm time window or take as long as you need? Will you be on a tight and strict schedule, or keeping things open to be able to explore opportunities as they arise on the road?
He's on a tight schedule.... :) October to April.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #163
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
He's on a tight schedule.... :) October to April.
Time span is a separate issue from planning in advance and propensity for execution precision. Some plan their exact route and stops so they know where they'll be when and do their best to stick to it. Others play it by ear and go with their gut planning their route as they go. Most have elements of both, of course; I'm just wondering which way they will lean on this one.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #164
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Time span is a separate issue from planning in advance and propensity for execution precision. Some plan their exact route and stops so they know where they'll be when and do their best to stick to it. Others play it by ear and go with their gut planning their route as they go. Most have elements of both, of course; I'm just wondering which way they will lean on this one.
I guess only time will tell....
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #165
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess only time will tell....