User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #796
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 995

Hurray,
The Viola-tor is back, coming out of the rain...

Welcome,
Get yourself a chair in the corner by the fire
and entertrain this hungry crowd.

Vis a vis rain gear: something cheap synthetic over your clothes that if need be can hang all night tucked away in branches. That does it for me. And hot chocolate. By all means.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #797
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #798
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
OK... So I've spent the last several days reading this ride report a bit at a time...

I have a KTM 640 Adventure and will be traveling in Utah in June with a few friends and my brother is a luthier, so your ride report sucked me in because of those commonalities.

Those commonalities would not have been enough to hold my attention if it wasn't for your engaging writing style and the great adventures that your lifestyle has allowed you to participate in.

I am a high school principal, ironically at the high school where Joshua Bell graduated, in Bloomington, Indiana, and I am currently working on a doctorate degree, and have used your ride report as a means to procrastinate on writing my literature review.

I must say that you clearly are very artistically talented, musically, photographically, and with your forays into film making, not to mention your literary skills...

I've enjoyed reading your ride report and look forward to visiting some of the same locations you featured.

I'm jealous of the fact that your profession allows you to have so much time to pursue your motorhikeling and would consider you rich in this life.

I'll keep following to see what's next. Seems like some of the answers to the questions you were asking yourself after the Montana 1000 might just have been answered by your Christmas of Death Trip. Looks like Paula might just be a perfect fit for your "lifestyle".
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 Husqvarna TE 310

TripleThreat719 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 05:41 PM Reason: I can't spel so wel...
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #799
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I thought you'd been abducted by aliens or something.

Good finish to this section of the story. Now you're only, what, a year behind?
Uhhh, 2.4??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
It was nice to see an addition to your thread this morning. Hope there are more tales to come.
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobeyamaGP View Post
I finally finished catching up on this RR after I heard about it some time ago. Great report! I played Alto Saxophone until the end of high school but decided I liked the sciences better so I turned towards chemistry in college. I still have a love for all sorts of music to this day. Music amazes me as it's one of the few things in this world (along with math and science ) that completely ignores all cultural boundaries. Thanks for spreading the love and for taking us along for the ride.
You are most welcome, and thank you! I love science too, it opens our minds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by handypro View Post
Awesome!...Please keep us apprised of your Concert schedule this spring/summer. I have B&B In Sedona should the opportunity ever present itself by desire or necessity..fo you guys or an ADV Bi-wheeled Moto Travelers
Will do! Past few summers have been more about moto and less about viola, but that could flip-flop at any time depending!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermaker View Post
I'm with you. I never have understood the waterproof liner under the main shell approach either. I bought an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants 10 years ago and they're still going strong after 100k miles. I've updated the armor and sent it back to have a couple of seams resealed, but the thing has been absolutely bomb proof. I've even taught a couple of very wet MSF BRC classes in it. Expensive, but then I haven't had to buy anything new in 10 years.
yeah, every now and then I come back to the Aerostich cataloge and wonder. Hmmmm, is it my time? Good to hear another positive review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Nice to see a new posting from you, Violator....any chance that this summer will see the carbon viola and you creating music from some new heights? Maybe a duet with LF? Don't be a stranger.
Ya never know! Well, actually we do. I can't resist the mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post

Hurray,
The Viola-tor is back, coming out of the rain...

Welcome,
Get yourself a chair in the corner by the fire
and entertrain this hungry crowd.

Vis a vis rain gear: something cheap synthetic over your clothes that if need be can hang all night tucked away in branches. That does it for me. And hot chocolate. By all means.
Yes, I've now learned my lesson too many times! PLASTIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat719 View Post
OK... So I've spent the last several days reading this ride report a bit at a time...

I have a KTM 640 Adventure and will be traveling in Utah in June with a few friends and my brother is a luthier, so your ride report sucked me in because of those commonalities.

Those commonalities would not have been enough to hold my attention if it wasn't for your engaging writing style and the great adventures that your lifestyle has allowed you to participate in.

I am a high school principal, ironically at the high school where Joshua Bell graduated, in Bloomington, Indiana, and I am currently working on a doctorate degree, and have used your ride report as a means to procrastinate on writing my literature review.

I must say that you clearly are very artistically talented, musically, photographically, and with your forays into film making, not to mention your literary skills...

I've enjoyed reading your ride report and look forward to visiting some of the same locations you featured.

I'm jealous of the fact that your profession allows you to have so much time to pursue your motorhikeling and would consider you rich in this life.

I'll keep following to see what's next. Seems like some of the answers to the questions you were asking yourself after the Montana 1000 might just have been answered by your Christmas of Death Trip. Looks like Paula might just be a perfect fit for your "lifestyle".

Wow! Thanks for chiming in. You have a special perspective that I can certainly relate too. My mom is a retired public school teacher (orchestra, actually! I was in her class for time! ), and my brother did a stint as a teacher in the public schools as well.

Best of wishes to you on your doctorate studies. The PhD title is akin to being a musician in modern times: Highly trained, self motivated, extremely talented, under valued and under paid... I sometimes consider getting a music doctorate to perhaps ease a potential transition to academia, but I think three degrees in music is enough! I never liked libraries much...
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #800
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Like whatever. I'm still waiting for pics of Moab. How many lives have you lived anyway?

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #801
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

North. South. East. West.

You ADV readers have been following me for a long time as I criss-cross the country chasing... something. Round and round I go! I LOVE to see new things, and new places, but even with my wide territory I notice that I seem to gravitate to some repeatable centers for my musical work. Humans inevitably find patterns, routines. It is springtime again, so that means the Floridians need some opera. Flatistan, here I come again.

Once again I trailer out through the deep south and the Florida panhandle to set up shop in Sarasota. Iím early, but not by much, so I have to dump the rig and suit up so I donít stagnate. Diek has a new goal, and it is to the south: Key West.

After crossing Alligator Alley but before I hit the Keys Highway I make a stop at a place Iíve read about: Robert is Here. Yes, the name of the place is ďRobert is Here,Ē which came from a sign that the owners of this produce stand excitedly erected when their baby son was born so many years ago. Robert is all grown up now, but he is still indeed there in person carrying on his namesake, selling some of the craziest things that nature will let us eat.

I mean, at least itís honest...

I donít see much of a point in buying a bunch of produce that will get beat up in my moto luggage, so I have a famous Key lime milkshake (which is good, but WAY too big. Lunch!), and I canít help but buy a star fruit, as Iíve never had one before. Pretty good! Kinda citrus -like, in between a orange and a lemon.

The real deal! Iím such a land-lubber. This kind of ocean ďharvestingĒ fascinates me.

To the islands! Iím not expecting much in the way of moto-thrills (so as not to be dissapointed), and the Keys highway certainly deliveres not much! It varies between 35 and 55 mph and is mostly a straight line. Zzzzzzzzzzzoom...

Speed Fine. Wait, so speed is fine? Or did you mean there is a fine for speeding?? Geez, make up yer minds!!

Some people really get off on the ocean, but Iím snoozing. Maybe it was all those miles Iíve driven the last few weeks. Wasnít I just in California only days ago exploring the desert?? Whacky.

I take a number of pictures from the cockpit, but even as I look back at them now to include in this report they all look pretty much the same. Road, ocean, road, ocean... [To pack light Iím traveling with only my little Pentax pocket cam, leaving my big Canon in Sarasota with my other junk. Thinking back Iím not quite sure why I decided to do that. maybe I was worried about the weather/and or salt spray?] One little island looks about like the last, and the next. Some of the most expensive real estate in the country is clustered around this strip of road, but all I see are old wooden buildings with peeling paint and rusty nails, victims of salty humidity and tropical storms. Frankly it all looks like it could be any small-town low-income community anywhere in the south, the only difference being the proximity to the purty blue ocean. ďKey West, Key West!!Ē I keep telling myself, trying to hype it up to keep me awake. The place is a legend, unlike anywhere else. Crazy tales of boats, babes, booze, barnacles, and a FABulous gay parade! Key West: where people live free with sunshine and favorable winds all year long. I hope it lives up to the hype...

Watching the GPS is kinda fun (Ďcause what else do I have to do?), seeing the little blobs of green terrain spotted against a giant blue background, connected by a thin black line. Finally the line stops. Iím at the end of the world. Or at least the end of our country.

As far as I can tell this is the furthest south one can go with a vehicle. There is a famous marker around here somewhere Iíve seen in pictures, but according to the GPS I think this is the end, as far as the public is concerned anyway. Strangely my bike is overheating as I pull in (in January?!?), so it seems a good time to take a walk. I can go a bit farther by foot.

Ah, thereís the reason I canít go any farther: military. Watching Cuba, perhaps?

I clamor out onto some rocks poking out of the water, but thatís about all Iím willing to do in my motorcycle boots. No swimming for me! I watch the boats for a while before meandering back to the KTM. There is more to this place than the coastline...

Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #802
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Key West wasnít always for drunken vacationers. Fort Zachary-Taylor holds an important place in the history of the U.S. Naval operations: during the Civil War the Union controlled the fort which was instrumental in the blockade of the Confederate ports in the Gulf of Mexico. Even though it was never attacked directly, history indicates that this fort played a key role in the Southís defeat.

This place is pretty intense, actually. That is a MOAT!!! Iím imagining trying to attack this place with a musket and bayonet... No thanks!

On top of the walls one can obviously see where the many guns were positioned, still with their arching wheel tracks visible.

Get some. This cannon is huge, at least six feet tall. Somewhere I read that these could fire up to three miles, which is probably one reason why this fort was never attacked. The confederate ships would never even get close!

If attackers did manage to get across the moat and past the sharpshooters (assuming their boat was not sunk before they even arrived at the island) they would have to then scale the wall, and this ďlast-resortĒ gun port would have made that a losing proposition with a special grapeshot cannon. Ground beef anyone?

I like reminders every so often of just how good we have it now-a-days. Civil war monuments tend to make that hit home for me, especially when I read the displays about not only battle conditions, but the medieval care for the wounded, rampant disease that was not understood, and the inhumane treatment of prisoners (on both sides). In the grand scheme of things all that nastiness really wasnít all that long ago. And even sadder: this kind of thing is happening all the time in various places all over the ďmodern, civilizedĒ world, every damn day. We here in the ďfirstĒ world are lucky indeed.

Carnival Cruisers partying it up just past where dozens, if not hundreds, of U.S. soldiers died of disease or otherwise meeting the reaper by the nature of life and death in Victorian times while constructing this outpost.

After getting a regional history lesson, itís time to go exploring!

Ahh, THERE it is! According to the GPS this isnít ďthe most southern pointĒ at all, but whatever, I need this pic for my life-list! Check.

Another thing on the checklist: Oysters.

If nothing else, Key West certainly is two-wheel friendly. There are scooters everywhere, and reserved parking! My bike is way, way out of place here, but of course I kinda like that fact...

Iím neutral on oysters, not particularly loving them, but not having a gag reflex either. Itís fun once in a while, the act of tempting food poisoning that is... Seems like a special occasion!

I meet all kinds of crazy folks at the bar, many with baked faces and inebriated eyelids. ďA race!Ē they say! The boats I saw lazily cruising on the water earlier were in fact competing in one of the biggest sailing races of the year. Who knew? Now I feel extra fortunate to have witnessed it (even though I didnít know what I was looking at). Big sail ships racing look about the same as big ships sailing...

Way, way back in this ride report I put up a photo of a crazy powerful restroom hand dryer that made an impression on me. Here is another. The Dyson Blade?!? Kinda awesome, actually. Weird that I discover these things on moto trips.

After dining at the bar on various un- or lightly cooked sea creatures I walk about the docks for a while, just trying to absorb the feel of the place.

Lots of touristy shops, and of course boats and related paraphernalia, but not much for the budget minded solo moto traveler to do. I do have dessert planned, but need to let my dinner settle a while, and I want to find a good place to watch the sunset.

Back on the bike I cruise up and down the main drag (Duval Street) a few times, where the famous gay parade takes place. As dusk moves in the nightlife starts to rev up and smiling people in shorts and flip-flops are everywhere. I canít really do any drinking because of the bike, and even if I could drinking alone in places like this usually ends up making me sad. This COULD be a good place to come with a group of old friends to party it up, but on the other hand, when Iím with my old group of close friends it doesnít really matter where we are, we always have a good time. Hmmmmm, profound...

I park the bike at a fancy hotel at the north end of Duval St, The Pier House Resort, for another of my Key West must-doís: Key Lime pie.

Key limes, you ask? Theyíre all grown in Mexico now, except for a few token trees in hotel courtyards. Tropical storms take out the fruit trees and the uber-valuable land is more desirable for hotels and condos now. Itís ironic that all of the world famous key lime pies served here are made from imported limes. It doesnít really matter, obtaining a slice of the green wonder is a requisite activity, and I read that THIS place in particular has an excellent recipe.

With as crazy as Duval St. is becoming and the glowing review I researched about Pier House Iím quite surprised that Iím the ONLY patron requesting a table on the deck. Really?!? I almost cut-n-run for a more populated spot, but then change my mind realizing that this is actually fitting for me tonight: the lone motorcyclist in a strange land he doesnít understand, given solitude among the masses. The pie is delicious, and I slowly savor every bite and nurse a coffee as the sun sets and elegant white boats glide by underneath the occasional seagull and rising full moon. My own personal waitress (from Russia, and with excellent English) checks on me from time to time, but Iím left largely undisturbed with the entire waterfront deck to myself. I will always prefer a mountain top for quiet reflection if given a choice, but under the circumstances this is pretty nice. I leave her a disproportionately large tip.

Key West does, or did, have a part time symphony orchestra. Iím not sure of itís status at the moment, but it does cross my mind as I let the lime custard melt in my mouth. Of course no free-lance musician could ever afford to live on the Keys, so the symphony organization would actually fly in instrumentalists from other places in Florida, namely Sarasota, Miami, Jacksonville, etc., and then house them somehow. The pay was so-so, and it made for a long weekend of travel, but it was a great project that I know someone had to have worked really hard to make happen. The real killer (and shame) was when the management ďran outĒ of money and didnít pay the musicians for services rendered. I have several colleagues who still havenít been compensated for the work they did, even years later. The Keys Symphony then tried to continue to stage concerts and hire younger hungry students from music schools who didnít know any better, STILL not having paid the previous professionals. The music world is small and word travels fast, so sadly that is probably the death sentence for any sort of professional classical music on the Keys. No ďrealĒ musician would come fearing broken promises, and so everyone loses.

When planning this little excursion I knew that Iíd need to find a place to sleep as there are simply too many miles to get to get back to Sarasota in a one-day trip. Hotels are off the chart down here financially, but there is ONE state park with camping: Bahia Honda, the middle island of the Keys. I reserved a primitive beach campsite online only days before, and as I checked in earlier in the day as I passed through on the way to Key West the rangers exclaimed ďHowíd you get THAT campsite?!? These book up a year in advance!Ē I dunno, I just logged on and it was there. ďYou are really lucky...Ē I shrug. Really lucky, eh? This has to be the most expensive campsite in the ENTIRE COUNTRY, costing as much as a hotel room in most places, just to put my lousy tent on the ground?? Iím the one who is in disbelief. Seems like a crime. Or an old hippy song: "Signs, signs, everywhere is signs... Put up a fence to keep me out, and keep all the nature in..."

As I ride in the dark to Bahia Honda Iím trying to keep a keen eye out for the famous Key Deer (so I donít hit one!). These funny critters are just like White-Tail deer that are found all over the U.S., except that they are half the size. Like little mini tropical island deer! Awwww... Apparently they can swim between the islands and are unafraid of humans because of their close habitat proximity. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately from a motorcyclistís perspective) I do not get to lay eyes (or tires) on one. Oh well. At least I got my pie.

The beach is dark, but there is a moon, and I can set up my tent with my eyes closed anyway. The designated camping spot is kinda just off the the park drive, so I feel obligated to go hang out on the beach proper, since that is what one is supposed to do here (I guess). I take my sleeping pad and a newspaper I snagged from convenience store down to the waters edge with my headlamp and plop myself in the sand to figure out how to enjoy this experience that people come from all over the world to do. Beaches... I guess I just donít get it! Itís nice and all, the sound of the water and the bright moon, but of course I get sand all over everything, and it is really humid, the combination of which is gonna make for some really pleasant sleeping conditions (not).

Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #803
Chains45
Wait.... what?

Oddometer: 486
Diek!!! Fantastic to get a little more of your story. Was wondering what I had missed till you let slip how long ago this was. Was looking at the San Antonio Symphony website recently and cannot find your name, am I looking in the wrong place?

Love your writing and your pics, let me know if you get this far north again!

Dennis

Life is too short for regrets, I want to come to the end of this life bruised, battered, scratched and bleeding, holding a broken bone or two, and yelling "WOW WHAT A RIDE!! LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"
Chains45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #804
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 995
Once in a while we hear of cruise ships put in quarantaine because of the odd virus. Guess we just got a clue of the origin of that: the curse of the restless soldier.

Serious post, good reading. Love the tune.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #805
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,148
Not only do you have some work to catch up on your existing stories, it is just about time to start creating some new stories. I know someone who can help.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #806
Backoutonthehighway
More Cowbell!

Oddometer: 371
Love that the reports are coming again!

On the rain gear. Pants: I highly recommend Klim Badlands Pro. Won a pair at the ADV WARPED drawing last year and have put close about 15k miles on them in everything from 110F to 26F, rain and snow. Remarkable! If you wear short under them, they are tolerable at 100F due to the great venting front to back and with "long-handles" on, they are plenty warm enough at 32F. Past that you better have a heated seat. And they have never leaked even after hours of riding in the rain. As soon as my tourmaster jacket gives up the ghost, I will be buying their jacket.

Of course if it's 90 and raining, you are going to be warm, but not having to stop and suit up when the rain starts makes my ride a lot easier.

Cheers!
2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic
2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #807
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,708
°Hola Violator!

ŅViolator?

ŅDondť esta usted?

*crickets*

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #808
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,148
I guess you're so busy making your movie that you haven't done much riding and updating here. Too bad about that, but I am PSYCHED about the movie!!
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #809
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Yes, the movie!

A new project is unfolding as we speak, and there are some ADV riders involved.

Check it out viola-fans!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/397067/wdgi/3133348

http://igg.me/p/397067/x/3133348

Old 06-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #810
NKOrange
Puny homer

Oddometer: 120
Hey Viola-tor,
I just discovered this thread (kinda new to ADV), but I remember meeting you years ago at the White Rim. I was on a mountain bike taking a break and we had a chat. I remember the viola case you were carrying. "What a funny thing to carry on your back on the White Rim" I thought, until I learned to play music and then try to take my guitar everywhere.

Anyhow, good to "run into you" here. I hope you are doing well. If you happen to be in Colorado drop me a PM. Would be fun to meet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
VIOLA-TING AMERICA - Chasing the dream of music and motos