Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Don't take that out! Its there to maintain the atmospheric pressure of the world. You take it out and the air leaks out into the tire and life as we know it is over.

Geof
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Flopping on a new Tourance and decided to replace the nipple.
A bit of a D'oh moment, thought it might be appreciated in here.
Did you realize what you'd done before you got the tire all the way on?
Thanks for sharing. Remindes me of all the similar things I've done.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Laugh

well, it would keep it clean
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
Mike Ryder OP
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 930
The tire was halfway on when I noticed. Nothink more than luck stopped me from going any further. I had another new one handy, again lucky.
Checking the brake now.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
You ought to be using metal valves and 90 degree one's at that.

The rubber has been known to fail on these, what with all the bending you have to do to get a Gas Station air hose on.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
This is a timely post for me in that one of these stems failed on my rear two days ago when i was re-inflating my tyres coming off dirt roads back onto sealed, STRANDED not a freaking thing i could do, however able to phone my brother who lucky for me lived an hour away and has a pick-up. We eventually got the bike to a shop on closing time, whipped the wheel off and the bloke pressed the bead in with a tyre change machine cut the old valve stem out, pressed the new and i was back in action. I do all my own maint. and strive for reliability and longevity and this failure disturbs me in that such a simple thing can leave you as well as dead in the water. Spent some time that night checking out you tube for ways to fit a new stem on the road and never found anything really convincing. Further searching the net turned up the angled metal bolt on stems that seem to be popular. Yesterday i spoke to a bike tyre fitter , his opinion is that the oe rubber items rarely fail and that a new rubber stem fitted at every new tyre change would guarantee no failures. Went on to say that in his opinion the metal units were a waste of money (and he sells them). Curious to hear anybody's take on this whole topic of broken stems, possible roadside fix, metal stem????
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Mike Ryder OP
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 930
That very disturbing failure is why I change mine almost every tire change.
I mangle them a bit to see if they will tear first. Have not had one tear this way
yet. These are not expensive parts and not hard to replace. [Well, unless I do it]...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #23
openboatt
Don't harsh my mellow

Oddometer: 276
Timely Thread

Putting new tires on the old GS in the next couple weeks. Thanks for reminding me new stems (correctly installed...hopefully) are a good idea. See? Some good comes from every brain fart... t
openboatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
This is a timely post for me in that one of these stems failed on my rear two days ago when i was re-inflating my tyres coming off dirt roads back onto sealed, STRANDED not a freaking thing i could do, however able to phone my brother who lucky for me lived an hour away and has a pick-up. We eventually got the bike to a shop on closing time, whipped the wheel off and the bloke pressed the bead in with a tyre change machine cut the old valve stem out, pressed the new and i was back in action. I do all my own maint. and strive for reliability and longevity and this failure disturbs me in that such a simple thing can leave you as well as dead in the water. Spent some time that night checking out you tube for ways to fit a new stem on the road and never found anything really convincing. Further searching the net turned up the angled metal bolt on stems that seem to be popular. Yesterday i spoke to a bike tyre fitter , his opinion is that the oe rubber items rarely fail and that a new rubber stem fitted at every new tyre change would guarantee no failures. Went on to say that in his opinion the metal units were a waste of money (and he sells them). Curious to hear anybody's take on this whole topic of broken stems, possible roadside fix, metal stem????
He is right, sort of. On a car you change it every 40K miles, and they pretty much never fail. Changing it on the bike every time will cost more than a set of metal stems. The 90 stems have the added benifit of easier access. They may never need changing as the rubber is not exposed to the elements. IMHO, worth the cost.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Ordered a pair last night.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #26
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Flopping on a new Tourance and decided to replace the nipple.
A bit of a D'oh moment, thought it might be appreciated in here.
Hey, Isn't that an upskirt picture of Chaz Bono?
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Eek

Is there where the term "air head" comes into play?
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,122
Btw. Where is everyone finding the best deal for new stems? The local dealer seemed rather pricey

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
I bought the metal ones because it's easier to check pressure and fill with the compressor in my garage. This leads to checking more often which is a good thing
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #30
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
I had a stem fail out on a road trip in the desert about 2 weeks after a dealer changed it out with new tires. I figure the tech cut it pulling it through the rim. Lucky for me a Honda dealer was 1/2 mile away and they stayed open to change it out.

Had a second stem fail, let air out pretty quick at 85mph on a sweeper transition freeway bridge that I did not want to go over the wall on.

I now run metal stems. Cost me $2.50 for a pair at Pep Boys. Screw that kind of failure.

My Ducati came standard with metal stems.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote