Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #106
c3eh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
A favorite local route that gets quite slippery after, or during a rain, have seen many a bike fall down on this short backroad - a couple of times it was someone riding one of my bikes. http://goo.gl/maps/7kXH5

An obvious beginner rider, but at 1:15 he slips, at 4:30 he just decides to ride off the road.

The first time he falls it almost looked like he slid on the green(moss?) that was on the side of the rode, the second time it looked like he made no effort to turn and just rode into trees.

and bimmerx2
damn it still amazes me that such traction is possible in rain, although i'm sure its just physics momentum+mass+tire compound=grip well that was more like math ha still impressive though.

but I know one thing indecision may or may not be my problem.....
c3eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #107
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3eh View Post
The first time he falls it almost looked like he slid on the green(moss?) that was on the side of the rode, the second time it looked like he made no effort to turn and just rode into trees.

and bimmerx2
damn it still amazes me that such traction is possible in rain, although i'm sure its just physics momentum+mass+tire compound=grip well that was more like math ha still impressive though.
Chen Shin trials tires and a mossy road - been there, done that.

Seriously - zero grip, damn all directional control.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #108
Toren
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I rode in rain for the first time yesterday. Before that I had been through heavy fog and some light sprinkling, but no real rain. As I was getting ready to leave work the sky turned black and the wind picked up, I knew I was in for an experience. It started pouring down and just got worse, strong wind and heavy rain with thunder and lightning. I took curves carefully, concerned about the slick road, but the bike didn't really have any trouble with traction. I was very pleased with that. By far the worst thing was visibility, that was unnerving. As long as I was moving it was mostly OK, but every stop it would start to fog. Ultimately I just took it slow and was lucky that it didn't last long.

The wife had a good laugh, after I got home OK. My pants (just khakis) were soaked, so my boots were wet inside, and my jacket only kept some water off. Of course this happened 2 days before my new jacket and pants that actually have waterproof liners arrive.

The bike is a 2005 F650GS with Metzeler Tourance tires. I am a 30 year old n00b and have been riding to work (just 10 miles each way) nearly every day other than rainy ones since I got it the end of August last year.
Toren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #109
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,178
Congrats

That's my favorite kind of ride
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #110
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
As long as I was moving it was mostly OK, but every stop it would start to fog.
"polish" the inside of your visor with dish soap.

put some on a paper towel (some will say not to use paper towels because they can scratch the visor, but I've never had that actually happen), and apply it to the inside of the visor. rub it in, so to speak, until you can't really see the soap anymore. it will leave behind a nearly invisible film that will prevent water vapor from sticking to it...thus, no fog.

don't get it wet, though. once it comes in contact with liquid water (as opposed to water vapor), the film is washed away.

as long as you do not get it wet, it will keep the visor from fogging.
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote