User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
street rider OP
Grow old not up

Oddometer: 293
First Scooter

When we came home after a 9,500 mile, 19 state, 8 week cross country ride my wife wanted a smaller bike. Well, she kept her Harley and purchased a 400 Burgman. She is loving it. I didn't know how cool a scooter (?) could be. She even uses it to go grocery shopping.
Maybe just maybe there is room in the garage for a 650 for me.......
Before you can be old and wise you must first be young and foolish, and live thru it.
street rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,367
Don''t get a 650. Get a 125. The beauty of the scooter is that it's small, light, and convenient. Don't think of it as a replacement for your bike. It's a replacement for your car. You still use the bike to do bike things. You use the scooter to do all those little trips that you used to take in the car. You wouldn't pull the biek out of the garage to go get a gallon of milk. But a scooter? Hell yes!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
or go a size bigger to be hwy legal and 150 could be your ticket, I go to get my milk and beer on my scooter, then I go to work all week and get some where in the 70-90 mpg range so my gas spending gas gone to less than 5 a week and more important, my GOOOD mornings always are!

Keep your harleys, they are something different, scooter are not for everybody (just like motorcycles) so barrow your wife's 400 and see if you like it! and then buy what every it is you feel like owning

Damasovi
Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 383
Yeppers, we have my Adventure bike, a Suzuki Vstrom 650 in its shed for me to ride to places out of the county. In the garage we have a 250cc Honda Helix. It is for around town and out in the county. It gets milage in the 60-70mpg range and saves us money each time we take it out. Fun to ride to boot. The funny thing is that on occasion, I use it to tour. I do mostly stay off the Interstate with it as it will only do about 70 miles per hour with me on it but on the blue highways it will just go and go. Have done mulitday/multistate trips on it. Kind of makes me wonder why we still have the Vstrom at times.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
DandM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by street rider View Post
When we came home after a 9,500 mile, 19 state, 8 week cross country ride my wife wanted a smaller bike. Well, she kept her Harley and purchased a 400 Burgman. She is loving it. I didn't know how cool a scooter (?) could be. She even uses it to go grocery shopping.
Maybe just maybe there is room in the garage for a 650 for me.......
Dooooooooooooooo It!
Wife still rides and loves her 2008 400 Burgman.
I've been through a new KLR 650 and new C50T since 2008.
Did I mention the wife still has and loves her 2008 400 Burg.
I now own a 2012 650 Burgman. I fought it for 5 years. I finally lost.
I'm loving this thing!!! Why didn't I listen to the wifester 5 years ago?
Because I'm;;;; just a Guy...
DandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
or go a size bigger to be hwy legal and 150 could be your ticket, I go to get my milk and beer on my scooter, then I go to work all week and get some where in the 70-90 mpg range so my gas spending gas gone to less than 5 a week and more important, my GOOOD mornings always are!

Keep your harleys, they are something different, scooter are not for everybody (just like motorcycles) so barrow your wife's 400 and see if you like it! and then buy what every it is you feel like owning

Damasovi
I agree. Small is good. Riding a small scooter is a blast, totally unlike a motorcycle. But get something a little bigger than a 125. I have two 125s and love them, but they do limit where you can go because they are not freeway legal. The Buddy 170 is a 125 sized scooter that IS freeway legal. There are a few others as well. You haven't truly experienced scooting until you've ridden a traditional small scooter.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
if you want bigger than a 250 just get a motorcycle

scooters are only fun because they are small and you can rag the hell out of them, a burg 650 is like riding an automatic goldwing lol
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
The Big Ruckus was my first scooter. I passed up a great deal on a Vespa 300GTS because i did not know how much fun they are. Dumbass. I know the seller and the guy who bought it and kick myself every time i see either of them.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
if you want bigger than a 250 just get a motorcycle
I would kind of second this thought. Looking at larger scooters, well IMO they really aren't very attractive and they weigh considerably more than comparable motorcycles don't they? Plus, think of the options you have in the motorcycle world. Maxi scoots, new, run more than $7000 and there are only a few choices.

That being said, I love the upright position, wind/weather protection, and built in storage of scooters.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
To each their own, around town and shorter excursions (say under 300 miles a day) I ride my Vespa GTS 250. For longer trips I take either a Scarabeo 500 or BV 500. 3,300-4,600 mile multi-state trips are a pleasure. Didn't care for riding a Burgman so we traded it in for the BV 500.

Could I ride a motorcycle - sure, the ATV I ride is motorcycle shift so it isn't shifting that prevents me from riding on. I simply prefer the upright ergonomics of a traditional style scooter. If you prefer a motorcycle for long trips, have fun. I don't even if I occasionally look at certain bikes and think maybe ... but in the end I really prefer the step through frame.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

A cruiser style motorcycle will give you the upright riding position. I have one. It is all day comfortable. I have over 25,000 miles on my bought new Vino 125, including a few trips of 1000 miles or so. I really enjoy taking trips on small bikes. What is just a routine ride on a bigger bike, scooter or motorcycle, can be a real adventure on a small scooter. But there is something to be said for a maxi scoot as well. The Burg 650 is my least favorite one, simply because it is so big and heavy. Reminds me very much of my recently sold Goldwing 1500, with only a fraction of the displacement or carrying capacity. I would much prefer a Silverwing or Majesty as far as a maxi goes. My local dealer has the 2013 Majesty on sale for $5999, a great deal. But I'm going to pass it up because I have a 750 cruiser that is just as comfortable. I have severe arthritis, and shifting and clutching in town can be a pain, but I mostly ride it out on the open road. While the small scooters can be ridden on the road too, they are also perfect for getting around town.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Have ridden shifts, but keep coming back to maxiscoots for overall versatility. Honda has some appealing new scoots in the 125 to 150 range now that would make great second bikes.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Another option if you don't like shifting or have medical issues that make it difficult, is an automatic motorcycle. Honda has one with a scooter/cruiser upright riding position called the CTX700. I have given it serious consideration. The thing is I haven't bought anything even though there are a great many bikes and scooters out there I would love to have, is because I have a perfectly good, comfortable 750cc cruiser motorcycle, all set up the way I want it, a 225cc dual sport, and three smaller scooters. One of the scooters, a Zuma 125, has just over 3000 miles on it, and is basically new. The Genuine Stella is definitely a keeper, for the fun factor alone (2 stroke, manual shift and clutch) and it can be rebuilt forever easily and cheaply. The Vino 125 runs great, still looks almost like new (living room kept) though it does have high mileage on it (25,000) I don't have room for another bike, and I would take a huge loss if I sold one of the ones I already have. At 54, with health issues, I probably already have enough bikes to last me the rest of my riding life.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A cruiser style motorcycle will give you the upright riding position. I have one. It is all day comfortable.
Cruiser does not equal upright seating position to me rather foot forward and that is the position that I do not find comfortable for any length of time.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Cruiser does not equal upright seating position to me rather foot forward and that is the position that I do not find comfortable for any length of time.
Some cruisers do have the pegs to far forward. I like the completely upright, sitting in a chair riding position, with a 90 degree knee bend, and being able to reach the bars with a bend in my elbows. I cannot handle the bent over position that puts weight on my arms/shoulders, having to bend my neck back to see where I am going and having my legs all scrunched up underneath me (the typical sport bike riding position) One of the reasons I love the riding position of scooters. Most of my weight is supported by the seat. I do have highway pegs on my Zuma 125, mostly because it allows me to use the entire floor for storage, but my legs are long enough (34" inseam) that it is not uncomfortable at all. And when not carrying something there, I can switch back and forth to help avoids leg cramps.