Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #14356
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Nop I didn't I wish anyway want to go back maybe Arte could make arrgments for a tour
Made it to Uruapn staying at Hotel Plaza Had never been in Michoacan likening it a lot ran into Salma's cousin in Guadalajara the othe day.,She was with a pendejo check her out

BTW Foot powder bottle exploded inside my bag glad there were no military check points

Next time we can go specifically to do the ride I've not been able to complete. Ride from Concha to Mazapil keep riding to get to Pico de Teyra, keep going along the state divisory line and get to Juan Aldama and from there ride to Sierra de Organos to camp overnight, next day visit my born place: Sombrerete and start the Archeological sites ride to end up in Zac.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #14357
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I've enjoyed following this thread since I plan on a lengthy time in Mexico beginning in October.

Interesting enough, I had a conversation with a friend who holds dual citizenship in Mexico and The States. She has a very large family in MX and is very much afraid to go visit them, and because we are friends, is very concerned about my safety.

Her biggest concern is being caught in some sort of crossfire between the bad guys and the so called good guys. She believes Mexico's structure is so decayed that there is really no place "safe," especially if one is in need of help.

Different viewpoints from people of varying experience living or traveling in Mexico.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #14358
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
oops. meant to link the article. I know, it is safe, not to worry.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/27/world/...exico-violence
Notice that the article makes two major points: The new government is taking a different approach to getting the situation under control, and narco deaths declined in 2012 as compared to 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #14359
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 711
Our hotel is full for Semana Santa. All but 2 of our 10 rooms rented by Mexicans. No one is worried about violence or narcos; all just having a good time visiting family or just taking few days away from the city. The doors from the street to the courtyard stayed open until almost 11pm. There is no fear in this part of Sonora unless you are involved with the drug business.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #14360
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 994
I just read an interesting blog article on the 25 countries that get the fewest tourists. When I clicked on the link I was half expecting to see Mexico there. Of course it had the usual suspects that are either in the middle of a war or just too hard to get to.

The surprising thing for me was the top ten list at the end. France is #1, the USA is #2 and Mexico is #10! I think that says a lot when the list is 190-odd countries long.

I think if we chain up the wandering livestock and rip out the topes we could be #6 in a couple of years!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #14361
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I just read an interesting blog article on the 25 countries that get the fewest tourists. When I clicked on the link I was half expecting to see Mexico there. Of course it had the usual suspects that are either in the middle of a war or just too hard to get to.

The surprising thing for me was the top ten list at the end. France is #1, the USA is #2 and Mexico is #10! I think that says a lot when the list is 190-odd countries long.

I think if we chain up the wandering livestock and rip out the topes we could be #6 in a couple of years!
Please don't ! Then there will be large crowds and high prices.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #14362
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

No! We need the skill tests to keep us sharp!

Mexico needs some sort of commission to keep it from become United Statesified. First job: Burn down anything called 'Subway', Applebee's or KFC / Pizza Hut
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #14363
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Mexico needs some sort of commission to keep it from become United Statesified. First job: Burn down anything called 'Subway', Applebee's or KFC / Pizza Hut
I agree on the skills test, but leave Pizza Hut alone!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #14364
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Whoa, burn down Pizza Hut? That's just crazy talk...
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #14365
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
It's official

I am running the full length of Baja off-road in September from Tecate to Cabo on the KTM 500 with a veteran who has won both the Baja 1000 and 500 multiple times.

I will suck, but I'll give it my best effort
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #14366
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
It's official

I am running the full length of Baja off-road in September from Tecate to Cabo on the KTM 500 with a veteran who has won both the Baja 1000 and 500 multiple times.

I will suck, but I'll give it my best effort
Malcolm Smith?!

We are not worthy, we are not worthy.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #14367
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,829
Too cool!!

(And I didn't know schizz had placed that well.)
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #14368
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to start a ride report soon and I'm thinking about calling it "Por Lo Menos Dos". At least two. Based on some things Trice said...I'd like to take my son through Mexico, but really take some time to see some stuff. Like Real de Catorce en caballo. But I thought of spending at least two days in an area. The last time I went down we made it all the way to belize and guatemala. A blast and Guatemala was my favorite part...but this time I'd like to spend at least two days in each place. If a place is good enough to go to...why not drop the paniers and strap on a backpack and just go explore for an extra day. So I've been planing some first days and then the extra days. One is Real de Catorce. Another is Leon. My brother's inlaws live there. If we drop the paniers...the next day we explore all the roads around Dolores Hidalgo, San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato. Then on towards the south...wherever that might lead us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If you haven't ridden the Veracruz/Puebla border, please allow me to introduce you sometime.
An opportunity not to be missed.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #14369
Pedro Navaja
Banned

Oddometer: 2,411
Hey guys,

Please check my map route to Mex57. I usually catch Mex57 out of Saltillo or out of Monterrey and then head south from there, but this time I want to bypass Saltillo and Monterrey. This is a new route for me and it looks like an easy 300 miles to Matehuala from Reynosa, plus it seems to cut down on my mileage though I like taking the high desert plain route. New roads for me here would be MEX35 and the new MEX31 which looks like it replaces the old MEX58.

The route on the map is Reynosa-MEX40D-MEX35-Montemorelos-MEX85-Linares-MEX31(old 58)-MEX57-Matehuala.

If you have been on these routes lately please comment and advise, plus if you have lodged in Matehuala lately, what's the skinny there? Or any other place to lodge if I can't make it to SLP by dark. Yes, I have Sjoerd's book.

Thanks,

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #14370
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
I've enjoyed following this thread since I plan on a lengthy time in Mexico beginning in October.

Interesting enough, I had a conversation with a friend who holds dual citizenship in Mexico and The States. She has a very large family in MX and is very much afraid to go visit them, and because we are friends, is very concerned about my safety.

Her biggest concern is being caught in some sort of crossfire between the bad guys and the so called good guys. She believes Mexico's structure is so decayed that there is really no place "safe," especially if one is in need of help.

Different viewpoints from people of varying experience living or traveling in Mexico.

Cheers,
Steve
Funny thing that Mexican nationals who live in US can be some of the most paranoid people about traveling Mexico. I think part of it is the classism that is so prevalent in Mexico. Mexicans can be rather unkind to each other and it is hard to understand sometimes. But almost without fail they are very gracious to traveling gringos, especially ones on motos. I cannot recount all the times Mexicans in the US have gone overboard exaggerating the risks of moto-tourism down there, most of whom have not traveled very extensively in their homeland. Go figure.