Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #5881
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I don't care how pretty it is. After the steaming pile of crap that was the Sim City release, can we really trust EA to do BF4 right? I don't.
Hopefully DICE has some autonomy, plus there still will be a single player campaign in it so I wouldn't be too worried.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #5882
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I don't care how pretty it is. After the steaming pile of crap that was the Sim City release, can we really trust EA to do BF4 right? I don't.
You can never trust EA or any game company to do anything right.

I thought that was just a given.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #5883
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
It has to be....there's no way the XBox can do those graphics. I know my GTX 660 is at the edge of being able to properly run BF3 so I'm hoping I wont lose much of that with BF4.

I just wish they would do Steam....now I'm going to have Steam, Desura, UPlay, and Origin on any PC. But looking around Origin does do sales so I think I'll pick up BF4 on Black Friday online. I did that for Borderlands 2 on XBox 360 and you wait 2 months and get the game for half off.

There will be PS3/360 versions for sure but the next generation systems will also be out around then and they will likely be able to provide the equivalent of maxed out PC graphics @ 1080P. There's less overhead with a console and they can optimize it for a specific GPU which helps...and is why decade old technology in the 360 is just starting to really show its age in the last year or 2.
OH, no. I wasn't saying that video was from one of the current consoles, no way that could physically happen.

With the new consoles, yes they will be much more powerful than current ones. However, PC components are always getting better. PS4/New Xbox may be able to do great things right now, but it seems like every 6 months the GPU guys come out with better stuff, and every 12-18 months for CPUs. So, even in a little over a year from now (not a year after the new consoles come out) PC will still be far and away more capable than the consoles.

Just because they are more capable doesn't mean the developers will take advantage of those capabilities, for all the reasons and more that you mentioned.

Either way, the consoles are going to be great, and PC will always be good as well if you can afford to stay ahead of the curve tech-wise (I can't). I currently have both a PS and XBox... If Microsoft puts a Blu-ray in the new Xbox, it is likely I will NOT be buying the new Playstation. I do not play enough games to justify the purchase of both plus having a decent PC. And with the XBox being a great entertainment hub on top of the games, it just makes sense to go that route. (Based on what I do with the consoles. Your opinions and values may be different.)

Oh, and my current PS/Blu-ray works fine, so I do not see myself upgrading for that reason (Blu-ray capability) alone anyway. In other words, Sony may be in trouble if more people think the way I do.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #5884
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Oddometer: 3,338
For all you (5) people who still remember the days of twitch shooters here's some multiplayer from the Rise of the Triad Remake:

UnderNewOwnership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #5885
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
That's just two example of what I'm seeing on craigslist in my price range. I understand the guys reasoning on the 80gb hard drive, as my current computer only has 40gb, and I have an external 1tb hard drive, which I still haven't found a need for.
Would I be better off ordering a new one from one of the places that builds them to your specs, or is it really that easy to buy the components and putting them together myself? I'm lost on this, I've always bought the cheapest system on closeout at microcenter in the past, and manage to run them for 5-8 years. Of course, I never have used them for more than email, and web surfing. Heck, this one can't even play you tube videos without serious lockup time, and just about any web site that has stuff that auto loads and plays has to be avoided unless I want to sit here and look at the hourglass thingy spin for five minutes.
The time is long past where you could build your own and save a lot of money.
1. What's your budget?
2. How much of your current system can you recycle? Be honest. A 17" monitor is not reusable except as a secondary screen for a workstation.
3. Are you mechanically skilled? Be honest here, too. Breakage during assembly is not covered under warranty.

Many companies like Tigerdirect offer barebones kits and you add the extra parts. Other companies might let you do "delete" options (like Dell) but the savings are usually minimal.

PC Gamer, PC Mag, Maximum PC, etc, all offer build articles for PCs at various levels. PC Gamer, in particular offers a budget, middle and power system spec.

If you were my customer, I'd ask you what you want to play and how much you want to spend. Then I'd probably go with a combo of new and used parts, aiming for at least 40 fps for the game du jour.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #5886
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
I wouldn't spend any money on a non-usb3 or sata3 mobo, right now it's not critical but very soon it may force an early upgrade. I can find here in Greece right now an FX6300 (equal or better to most i5s, 6 cores) + usb/sata3 mobo + 8Gb ram (1333) for 250 euros, you can do it with $250 based on my research. I also wouldn't spend on an SSD right now, just get the motherboard ready for it and use an older, spare sata2 hdd, these things get cheaper by the month or you might be able to buy more Gbs for the same price tomorrow. $150 will get you pretty good graphics for 1-2 years. Bottomline I wouldn't buy used hardware, for that recent specs, if the CPU has been OCed for months (very probable) you might have an expensive CPU dying on you pretty soon.
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #5887
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,830
This article is really interesting in terms of a cheap, new gaming rig.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...-less-than-450
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #5888
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

CPU's a bit shitty, not to mention discontinued. At that pricepoint, you're be better off with an FX-4300.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #5889
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderNewOwnership View Post
CPU's a bit shitty, not to mention discontinued. At that pricepoint, you're be better off with an FX-4300.
But Poser's not looking to catch the wave; if it wasn't for all the associated hardware being too old a Core 2 Duo or Quad would fit his build.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #5890
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I'm out of the loop on whats good or not again. :shrug

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Those fuckers aint though. Some people just seem to live to figure out the best bang you can get for a price.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #5891
UnderNewOwnership
Thread Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
But Poser's not looking to catch the wave; if it wasn't for all the associated hardware being too old a Core 2 Duo or Quad would fit his build.
Err, I was talking about the system in this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #5892
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
The time is long past where you could build your own and save a lot of money.
1. What's your budget?
$500-$750 would be ideal.
2. How much of your current system can you recycle? Be honest. A 17" monitor is not reusable except as a secondary screen for a workstation.
Most likely nothing.
3. Are you mechanically skilled? Be honest here, too. Breakage during assembly is not covered under warranty.
Yeah, I kinda do this for a living, just on a bigger scale. Here's the kind of stuff I get to play with daily.

Many companies like Tigerdirect offer barebones kits and you add the extra parts. Other companies might let you do "delete" options (like Dell) but the savings are usually minimal.

PC Gamer, PC Mag, Maximum PC, etc, all offer build articles for PCs at various levels. PC Gamer, in particular offers a budget, middle and power system spec.

If you were my customer, I'd ask you what you want to play and how much you want to spend. Then I'd probably go with a combo of new and used parts, aiming for at least 40 fps for the game du jour.
Want to play skyrim, fallout, and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
This article is really interesting in terms of a cheap, new gaming rig.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...-less-than-450
Haven't read it yet, but looks to be the kind of information I was looking for.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #5893
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,830
Quote:

For <$700, build a new machine for sure. My buddy jst gave me his "old" gaming rig with an i7, 2g RAM, no HD, and a busted video card. I loaded Win7x64 ($82) on a new 250gig HD ($50) and ordered a Geforce 640 ($94). I can wait on the RAM, but I'll go 2x4g sometime soon for a decent price.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #5894
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:

Strangely enough, my last two upgrades were in direct response to those two games.

Both times video cards. My base system is Core i7 920; I still haven't needed to overclock.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #5895
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Picked up Bioshock Infinite. Have only played 5 minutes of it, but so far it's pretty clean Very colorful like the others. Can't wait to play some more.
I just picked it up last night myself.

This one seems even less politically correct than the others.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: