Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #1696
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Trane Francks: "In becoming self-aware and striving to patiently overcome our demons, we bootstrap serendipity to deliver unto us opportunities that will necessarily change our lives. We may not be Einsteins, but we each have the capacity to rise to our ultimate potential. It is up to each of us to step up and take on that challenge."
Perfectly stated. Thanks for the contribution. (Jealous--I wish I was still on page 48, too--enjoy the rest of the ride!)
Nearly 14 hours after you wrote this, I find myself at the end of the voyage. Beautiful and poignant photos of your lady being put away. Loved to see you get to COTA! And that sinking feeling as I saw her on her side on the street .... *sigh*

And then there's the photo of the girl with you in Death Valley. She looked so much like Jun (the one I let get away) that it took my breath away. Thought I was over her -- it's been over a decade. Apparently not.

The things we learn about ourselves at the damnedest of times. Thank you for that.

Trane Francks screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 04:08 AM Reason: Typo correction. What else?
Trane Francks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #1697
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
You decided that dressing up for an occasion is difficult exactly why? Playing a role for an audience (and/or yourself) is only as difficult as we decide it is.
I can tell you the reason I haven't done any cosplay. I'm a perfectionist and I don't feel I could do justice to it. Donning the costume of a well-known and well-loved or -hated character and walking into a room full of fanatics feels like inviting criticism.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #1698
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenZvan View Post
And now I go back and look at all the pictures again...
They are quite well hidden!

fritzcoinc: I just ordered 10 Standard-format editions, so I'll have a couple extra. I'll shoot you a PM.

Trane Francks: Glad you made it. Hope you find your next Jun....she's out there!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #1699
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I can tell you the reason I haven't done any cosplay. I'm a perfectionist and I don't feel I could do justice to it. Donning the costume of a well-known and well-loved or -hated character and walking into a room full of fanatics feels like inviting criticism.
Ben, I won't say that your reasons are wrong -- they're your reasons -- but I just wanted to throw this out there: When one bases one's actions on the praises and criticisms of others, it amounts to being inauthentic with Self. It is disempowering and puts one in a victim role.

True perfection is not found in the outcome. It is found in the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero
Glad you made it.
Thanks, man. After nearly 22 years in Japan, I'm ready for my journey to take a new turn. Your RR and those of the others here remind me of just how much of North America I haven't seen. I used to say "you can never go home", but I think that was just me making excuses to run away from myself. I do things differently now. I'd be seeing home with entirely different eyes and methodologies.

Riding the TCAT (and TAT) are now priorities. I'm a bush-baby at heart, but working in tech has had me in cities pretty much all my adult life. It won't be much longer, though, before (as with you) a laptop and a 'net connection will be all I need to run my businesses. Once that happens, I'll be out of excuses.

Quote:
Hope you find your next Jun....she's out there!
My wife would probably prefer that I get over it already. In the meantime, it's worth exploring why I had the reaction I did and then put those findings to work in my marriage. It's bound to make things even better than they are.

Trane Francks screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 01:46 PM
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #1700
crowonapost
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
And what did I do today? Due to the amount of traffic on the weekends here in Montreal I went out walking....and after 20 min. or so, started to see more and more superheroes. After verifying with a very forlorn looking Captain America that, no, people in Quebec don't celebrate Halloween on Sept. 16th, I was pointed to the convention center, where Comicon was in full-swing.

I don't know if all the geek shows are following me around (stumbled upon Gamecon in MN), or if my inner-geek-magnet just hones in on this kind of stuff....

You chose this path by your name. Whether conscious or not you chose this marker.

You chose the 'heroes' journey.

From loss, pain... a woman. You chose this 'reaction'.

It's not surprising that you keep meeting wanna' be's. They are a mirror for you. No matter how hard you ride a Ducati Sport bike of your dreams.

I know this because I KNOW too much. And it saddens me. On too many levels.
crowonapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #1701
crowonapost
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
When I say "laid it down" I mean that literally, not as a euphemism. It was around 11:30pm when I made it back to the garage, which is situated in an alley adjacent to a hell of a lot of houses and apartments. When I roll in late I always shut the engine off and coast in so as not to be that dick on an obnoxiously loud bike waking everyone up on a weeknight.

Only problem is that the Panigale's lights turn off when the bike isn't running. Not a big deal, but the asphalt is in terrible condition. As I coasted to nearly a halt I fumbled around trying to press the garage door button through my leather jacket. And as I slowed to near zero the bike hit what felt like a curb and the bike immediately started to drop to the left. Only problem was that my left hand was fishing around for the damn remote. I braced the bike as much as I could with my legs to slow it down, did get a hold of the left clip on about half way to ground zero, but by then it was too late.

For the last 20 degrees I literally just held on and laid the bike down as gently as possible.

Anyone who's had an accident or done something irreversible knows exactly what weird amalgam of an emotion goes through your mind. It's a mixture of regret and the stupidity, mingled with a "Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Z!" desire to just go back a few seconds to do it all differently. I picked the bike up, found the damn door button and rolled inside to see the extent of the damage.

Absolutely could not believe my eyes. The beautiful, smooth, candy-apple red fairing hadn't a nick or a scratch. The tail section? Pristine. The shock cover? Not a mark. The tank, though--the tank: smooth as glass. WTF? Only damage was the clutch lever (the break off point functioned as it should have) and the high beam switch snapped off (I think my finger did that while trying to muscle the bike). Oh yeah, and there was a slight mark on the bar end.

Fucking 'eh. Had the bike just fallen at speeds dictated by gravity I'm sure it would have been worse, but all that was really damaged was my ability to say "I haven't dropped a bike in 20 years."
Did an equivalent at Church. Ya. Church with my Multi. In front of a mom & kid. Thought the damned thing was a mountain bike & tried to turn on a sidewalk & watched myself going off the edge of a sidewalk & decided to try & turn at about 2 miles an hour. Dropped it. Broke my brake lever on the handlebar, that was about all. To replace...too much money. Bought an aftermarket that was better. Still, should have not have been seduced by the simplicity of the machine.

F'n Ducatis's.

Must mention. I dropped the bike before the first payment on a dirt rut from a big truck tire, dried, embedded in the ground that I then immediately fell into a HUGE puddle on the right, created by said tire. Rode home with the entire right side covered in mud. The bikes white.
That was my christening.
Love this DUC beast. 17000 miles later & just one year.

DO WTF YOU LOVE!

I KNOW you, even if you do not know me.

Thanks for YOU.

One random person to another.
crowonapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #1702
BenZvan
N7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
When one bases one's actions on the praises and criticisms of others, it amounts to being inauthentic with Self.
I see your point, but you missed the part where I'm a perfectionist and didn't think I could do it justice. A lot of that criticism is my own. So I choose to do the things I'm extremely good at and the things I want to learn to be extremely good at instead.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #1703
jpod999
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Saw someone with a black helmet and jacket riding a panigale today around 10 in San Rafael this morning. You in the area Dennis?
jpod999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #1704
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I see your point, but you missed the part where I'm a perfectionist and didn't think I could do it justice. A lot of that criticism is my own. So I choose to do the things I'm extremely good at and the things I want to learn to be extremely good at instead.
I didn't miss your point; I just disagree with letting self-criticism undermine one's joy. Been there, done that.

It's all good, though. As I wrote earlier, I'm not trying to change your mind. Just throwing some fodder out there to chew on. Eez all good, man!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #1705
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpod999 View Post
Saw someone with a black helmet and jacket riding a panigale today around 10 in San Rafael this morning. You in the area Dennis?
I am. But my bike is still in the shop--As soon as my clip ons come in I'll probably pick her up, seeing as though all the other parts will probably take some time to come in. So if you see someone on a Panigale with jacked up bodywork, it's me!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #1706
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Living and working in the Nashville, Tennessee area I been seeing a couple Panigale motorbikes. Man what eye candy! I was at the Farmers Market in downtown Nashville Thursday (March 28th) and got to meet and greet with a owner of one of these bikes, he was riding with a older BWM 600cc boxer engine bike. I could have stared at that bike for an hour (Ducati). I told him about your adventure (AntiHero) and where to find it. Being a Motorbike tire installer, I offered up my service to him, maybe I will get lucky to work on this mans bike. I just need to score a Single sided swingarm stand.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #1707
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Hmmm...unless you're a Glock...you'll never reach perfection.

CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #1708
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,401
Bravo on the report. Fantastic

Come through Corpus Christi/Rockport and I'll fire up the grill.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #1709
ewaugh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
So I read an article that made me think about some of the stuff that has been said here. Well, really the whole theme behind this ride report. See I'm doing the crossfit open, which is a five week long worldwide competition which also acts as a qualifier for the bigger events (which I will not be qualifying for). But anyway the workout for this last week was a three rep ladder (3, 6, 9...) of 135lb clean and jerk and toes to bar. Well my max clean and jerk is 165, so 135 gets heavy pretty quick, even more so going overhead with it. But, if you decide that every rep is going to count, that every time you put your hands on the bar it's going over your head, if you trust yourself and the bar guess what, its goes overhead. When you start doubting yourself, shit don't happen. You know what, no matter what else happens in life, no matter who tells you you're awesome or a piece of poo, the bar doesn't lie to you. When you decide to make shit happen, shit happens. When you start doubting yourself, shit don't happen.
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #1710
BenZvan
N7

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Hmmm...unless you're a Glock...you'll never reach perfection.
I'm pretty fond of my Springfield XD45. Glock is way too mainstream for me.