Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
The Exile's and Muzza's great Western Australia Adventures.

Some of you will know I have posted several times on here relating to different rides in various parts of South West WA. I have however been inspired by Matt 82 and his chronicles in the fantastic thread "Scotland at 45mph." So, I have decided that instead of writing a new thread for each ride we take I will copy his method and simply add to this thread from now on. It seems to be the thing to do.

A little bit of background to us. I met Brian(Exile730) last year. I had been transfered with my work and took on a new role which brought me into contact with Brian on a regular basis. We got to know each other and Brian regularly waxed lyrical about his love of bikes. I was the proud owner of a WeeStrom but only ever used the bike for commuting to and from work. We arranged to meet up for a ride together and the rest is history. Since then we became regular riding buddies meeting for day trips most weekends. He introduced me to the wonderful world of farkles and now, like most on here I am obsessed!

Brian is from the West Midlands of England and a bike fanatic. He is the owner of many superb machines including several classic Kwaka Z1000s, A BMW 1150GSA and the Mighty DR650. He is a big lad but very much a gentle giant. Easy to get on with and a very skilled rider. His knowledge and enthusiasm for riding are phenomenal and he is very patient with me as I have very limited ability both on and off road, and tend to be the weakest link in terms of where we go and where we ride!

Brian's G-spot:
 photo IMG_1475.jpg

I am from the North of Scotland and the proud owner of a 2009 Wee and only last week a brand new KLR 650. How I managed to convince the lovely Mrs Muz into that one I'll never know but I am certainly not complaining.

My Wee:
 photo IMG_1474.jpg

The Mighty DR and my new Big K:
 photo IMG_1839_zpsa378cf68.jpg

Anyway, enough rambling about all that crap. This blog/thread will be about our stories and adventures as we aim to conquer Western Australia, the largest state in the world, bit by little bit. It will be tough going at times, sometimes the toughest bit is getting a leave pass from family duties, but we will get there I am sure. We both live in the South West of Australia so most of our rides will be down this neck of the woods but with a bit of luck and some very careful negotiation with our better halves we might just get to go further afield on occasion. Remember folks this state is enormous, a 3-4 day ride from south to north and 2 days at least west to east, with lots of unfriendly desert in between, so it might take us a while!

rodmuzwa screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 10:24 PM
rodmuzwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

First run out on the KLR yesterday. Not a long one but a good one. I am still restricted to 4000 rpm as I am in "running in" phase but enjoying the bike nonetheless. My first impression was "holy shit, this thing is gutless" but it still made me smile when I was riding it. 200 kms down and the engine is starting to loosen up a bit. It's a comfortable bike and very easy to ride. Hopefully get it de-restricted at it's 1000km service and with a bit of luck she will have a bit more grunt then. She did manage to almost keep up with Brian's mighty DR, which I must say has no limits on fun factor to ride. The grin-o-meter on that bike really does go off the scale. Anyway, a short run up to North Dandaulp Damn, a little bit of gravel on Scarp Road, then up to Dwellingup for coffee and Australia's best pie at the Blue Wren. A nice way to spend 4 hours on a sunny Saturday morning.

Big K just before she leaves the dealer, looking splendid in her Manchester United colours: (I'm not a Man Utd fan)
 photo IMG_1834_zps9121bee6.jpg

the Mighty DR and Big K at the damn. Great time of year as the colours in Autumn here are spectacular and the weather is a bit cooler so more comfortable:
 photo IMG_1840_zps5e777bfa.jpg

The view out over the scarp towards the Peel inlet and estuary:
 photo IMG_1842_zpsb38a77e7.jpg

The famous Blue Wren Cafe. Purveyors of fine coffee and the best pies in Australia. A favourite with bikers in these parts:
 photo IMG_1846_zps307129d1.jpg

Some people beat us to it:
 photo IMG_1844_zps357beeac.jpg

photo IMG_1845_zpsd76d919a.jpg

Luckily Brian and I are pie connoisseurs. Beef and Mushroom for Brian, plain Beef for me as I am a traditionalist:
 photo IMG_1843_zps85cb0736.jpg

A quick stop at the Alcoa Lookout Point on the way home. I nearly dropped Big K here. Front wheel slipped in the soft gravel and the bike started to slide away from me. A tiny bit of poo almost came out but one foot down and she was back up and a heartbreaking moment averted. This made me realise just how much lighter the KLR is than the Wee. Had I been on the Wee she would have been down for sure! I so need crash bars, sooner rather than later. There's a lot of breakable plastic on the KLR:
 photo IMG_1847_zps86b056f2.jpg

A great day and looking forward to many more like it. I expected the KLR to be a breeze on gravel compared to Wee but she still gave me a knot in the pit of my stomach. Haven't done much gravel lately and it showed. Now, where do I get those crash bars?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, the rain is preventing me from adding to the mileage on the KLR. I am very much a fair weather rider so it's quite lucky I live down here where we get long periods of dry weather. I did take Wee to work yesterday as she looked a bit neglected in the garage. Got soaked on the way home though! It is pissing down today so it's back on to 4 wheels until the rain clears.
Brian and I had hoped to go for a ride and camp for a night this weekend. It's a long weekend but we had hoped we could manage to sneak a small pitch in one of the private campsites. All well booked out unfortunately so we will just have to go for a decent ride instead. The weather should clear so I will get to rack some more miles on Big K.
Roll on the weekend!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

It's the start of the Easter weekend. No long weekend for me though. Back in to work tomorrow and Monday but not to worry. The sun is still shining Down Under. Anyway, got home today and Mrs Muz decided to take the kids to the local supermarket to see if they could spot the Easter Bunny. They don't believe in the Easter Bunny but they are suckers for free chocolate so off they went. Big K needed to ride so off we went. Just a short local ride and solo too for a change. Sena bluetooth connected and me, Big K and my iPod music it was for a quick blast round the Pinjarra area:

Great light in the evening:

photo IMG_1849_zps32dd1bc9.jpg

photo IMG_1850_zps2affd97c.jpg

Then off to South Yunderup for a wee look around. The estuary is lovely and the tide was coming in quite fast so although the pictures don't show it, it was a really nice place to be:

photo IMG_1851_zps6f9c1c07.jpg

photo IMG_1853_zpsd1ff1bec.jpg

Then home to Mrs' Muz home made burgers. What a great start to Easter.

Really starting to love my KLR. She has her faults but she isn't half a good ride :)

photo IMG_1854_zpscda12b66.jpg

The final comment was about the KLR. Mrs Muz has no faults, obviously :)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 431
Great so far.

Enjoy!

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yesterday evening around 5pm, Brian rang and invited me on a quick local ride. What the hell, I thought. Nice way to rack up some more kms on Big K, so off we went. It was a fantastic evening for a ride, or so I thought. Meet at Dome Pinjarra, then south on the South West Highway to Waroona. Still restricted to 4000 rpm so held the traffic up a little on the way down there, but still a nice relaxed ride. At Waroona we headed west towards the Forrest Highway and the coast. Bad move. The sun was so low it was like riding blind. I had my sunglasses on and my tinted visor down but still couldn't see a damn thing. Brian was leading the way so I pretty much fixed my gaze on his bike and followed. Now, Brian is normally a very relaxed and what you might call a sedate rider. Until he gets on the Mighty DR that is. For some reason that bike turns him into a demon. But yesterday, even he was riding slowly as I have no doubt, like me he couldn't see where the hell he was going. I nearly went off the road several times at corners as I couldn't see the Tarmac at all. I rode most of the way with my left hand over my face trying to block out some of that damn sun. We made it to the Forrest Hwy eventually then continued west on Estuary Road. Normally a great twisty ride but at that time of night a dangerous deadly stretch that should be avoided at all costs! The reason- Our national emblem, bloody Kangaroos!

These bastards have no brain and have a habit of jumping out from trees right in front of you.

As we travelled through the countryside Brian pointed to his right. I was about 50m behind him and doing about 90kph. Next thing a bloody Roo hopped out right in front of me. To say I shit myself is an understatement. I grabbed at the brake lever and the front wheel locked up instantly so now I am skidding towards the damn thing. The Roo obviously got a huge fright at the sound of me skidding towards it and tripped over it's own feet and fell over on the road right in front of where I was heading. Instinctively, I say instinctively because my brain doesn't work quickly enough to make these types of split second decisions, I let go of the brake freeing the front wheel, and attempted to steer round the floundering beast. A couple of small bumps later and I was past it and still alive and amazingly still upright. I had run over its tail I think! A quick glance in my mirror and I saw it get up and hop off into the bush, no doubt just as terrified as I was!
I was shaking all the way home and had to console myself with a large dose of Morgans Spiced Rum on my arrival! Called Brian when I got back and he was oblivious to the whole incident!
Anyway, the morals of the story are, do not ride into the setting sun when travelling west unless you can ride by Braille, and secondly, stay well away from bush land at dawn and dusk because these big cuddly hopping bastards will have you.
Still living the dream, but only just!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Great so far.

Enjoy!

JM.
Thanks mate. Nice to know someone actually reads my ramblings!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Great stuff mate. Sounds like a scary one with the roo.

See if you can find some slithering wildlife to photograph. I was in Oz for 3 months and didn't see a single bloody snake!

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Great stuff mate. Sounds like a scary one with the roo.

See if you can find some slithering wildlife to photograph. I was in Oz for 3 months and didn't see a single bloody snake!
The Roo incident was definitely scary. I'd like to think it was pure riding skill that helped me avoid it, but as I don't have any I am confident it was pure luck!

I've run over a few snakes already but doubt I'll see anymore this year. It's getting to hibernation time. I'm quite sure I'll get some pics come spring though, but it takes great care and balls of steel to get close to them. They don't like humans and can kill if they get their teeth in to you!

Any plans to come back down this way?

rodmuzwa screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:15 PM
rodmuzwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
I've run over a few this year already but doubt I'll see anymore this year. It's getting to hibernation time. I'm quite sure I'll get some pics come spring though.

Any plans to come back down this way?
I always have plans!

Whether or not they come to fruition is the issue. I'd love to go back. Australia is great. I had the time of my life there and can't imagine not going back at some point. Will be a few years away though I think.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
I always have plans!

Whether or not they come to fruition is the issue. I'd love to go back. Australia is great. I had the time of my life there and can't imagine not going back at some point. Will be a few years away though I think.
Hopefully not too many years. Remember and give me a shout if you do get here. We'll team up for some WA riding- no Roos though!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

An 8am meet scheduled with Brian this morning. I was a little late due to being at the Perth Glory match and a little over indulgence last night. Made it about 8.15, then a quick coffee and headed north on the SW Hwy this time. Refuel at North Dandalup and off to Serpentine Falls. At Falls Road we came across this quaint little church. Bizarrely there was no-one there considering it is Easter Sunday, which I thought was the most important date in the Christian year. Clearly I am wrong!

Falls Road:

Some friendly ones this time as opposed to the Kamikaze Roos who frequent these parts:

Always reassuring:

Then a wee walk up to the falls:

After that it was off again this time heading for Jarrahdale:

Coffee stop at the General Store Cafe:

Great Bacon and Egg sandwich:

Amazing what you find in some of these places. Old vinyl albums for sale $5 each:

None of us bought any but there were some very strange ones!

Then fully refreshed we carried on to the dam:

Then it was on to the lookout point before home:

A good run and another 150kms on to Big K. Only 450 to go until run in is complete!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
I am a bit late on this posting .............

So .... rodmuzzWA has been chastising me for my slack posting antics so I thought I had better get to it. I have been under the pump of late and have been riding more than snapping and typing. I have also strained my left forearm with clutch shenanigans so I know life is good.

A new addition for rodmuzzWA’s stable – it’s a girl!

The KLR has landed

Rod has been on a collision course with a KLR650 for a while and it has now happened – a brand spanker in bright red with free ADV pack to follow. Lucky bugger! 1000kms of 90km/h for running in so off we went.

Don’t worry though ... it may be old, bruised and banana-ish but I am still in love with my DR650

I was keen to try the dark side though and I have to say the KLR rocks! Great VFM and a really nice bike with great features for a great price. Rod is a happy boy!

First trip out

First trip was Dandalup dam and some arse puckering moments on gravel at Scarp Road. Very enjoyable and no dramas. Rod had a pucker moment in some deeper gravel at the Alcoa lookout – crashbars are coming soon I think. We have such great local rides and Rod is always good company.

Quick Z ride with ZORK (Z Owners Riders Klub) Mandurah
Easter Friday Zork headed off but no pix taken. Quick 100 miler with the boys on Easter Saturday and a few pix of the Dwellingup main drag with a few bikes around. I love these old Zs and they just keep going hard .... with a few oil leaks along the way, of course!

Easter Sunday – the 650s on tour
Rod and I met at the Dome in Pinjarra and then off for more running in kms. I quite like it at 90km/h as you get to see a whole lot more than when going hard. We were just heading off to Serpentine Falls and then onto Serpentine Dam and Jarrahdale for a bacon sandwich. Rod had a run in with a kangaroo on Friday evening so our eyes were peeled for those pesky critters .... and we found some!

Choices ... choices ....

Bush outside my place on a crisp Sunday morning

Nothing but blue skies

Old church – Easter Sunday but no service on?

Nice valley

The Special K

The view from the lookout was mint

Special K in action

Remember those roos? Gotta keep your eyes peeled down this way ....

the falls were good and quiet as when we were there.

Off for a fang (running in style) and a bacon sandwich and then back via a class lookout.

Closed up on 160kms for the morning and a great ride was had. The 650s are a lot of fun and make for sensible blatting about on a double demerit weekend!

Hope you like the pix!

exile730 screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 05:18 PM
exile730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Well done mate. I thought you'd forgotten your log-in! I love those old Kawasakis. Really great to ride and they are phenomenal in the comfort department. Glad it's not my job to keep them clean though. I'm definitely a wash and hose down man, not a polisher! Looking forward to planning the next ride mate!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #15
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I do love Australia!