ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #211
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
Swimmer you may be correct. Every young guy I talk to with a sportbike, doesnt know follow any of the racing.

DMG is a disgrace to the sport!!
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around. And the douche bags are the source of the stereotype. Maybe because I am older now than I was 10 years ago (really?) but I don't remember the douching being so intrusive back then and whether the decrease in US road racing is a directly inversely proportional to increased douching I am not sure but, it can't help. JMO.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #212
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around. And the douche bags are the source of the stereotype. Maybe because I am older now than I was 10 years ago (really?) but I don't remember the douching being so intrusive back then and whether the decrease in US road racing is a directly inversely proportional to increased douching I am not sure but, it can't help. JMO.
interesting viewpoint. the sportbike's which never should have been street legal to start with end up being the downfall of road racing. I like it and there is probably some truth to it.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #213
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
interesting viewpoint. the sportbike's which never should have been street legal to start with end up being the downfall of road racing. I like it and there is probably some truth to it.
The motorcycles are not the problem. And you might be pussy.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #214
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer
 
DogBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The motorcycles are not the problem. And you might be pussy.
__________________
"I were riding so fast, I were sucking rabbits out of the hedges" IOM TT racer Guy Martin - Thanks to rallybug
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #215
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,200
The sportbike fad has peaked and has faded. There was road racing before it came along and there will be road racing after.

DMG has some work to do to return to grids that looked like this.

__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #216
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer
 
DogBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 1,399
Maybe DMG should buy forty or fifty thousand new sportbikes for the next several years because thats the only way we'll see grids like that again.
__________________
"I were riding so fast, I were sucking rabbits out of the hedges" IOM TT racer Guy Martin - Thanks to rallybug
DogBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #217
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,886
There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #218
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around.
Really?! So this new McDonald's ad with a bunch of stunt riders doing wheelies and burn outs doesn't seem to completely negate your theory? If a giant corp like McDonalds obviously wants to be associated with these "negative sport bike stereotypes", there must be a reason?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0L6ssxiqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_D0L6ssxiqk
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #219
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Really?! So this new McDonald's ad with a bunch of stunt riders doing wheelies and burn outs doesn't seem to completely negate your theory? If a giant corp like McDonalds obviously wants to be associated with these "negative sport bike stereotypes", there must be a reason?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0L6ssxiqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_D0L6ssxiqk
Do any adults really eat at McDonalds? Eye catching ad for children.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #220
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Do any adults really eat at McDonalds? Eye catching ad for children.
Yes, it's the largest hamburger chain in the country because only kids eat there?!
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #221
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Yes, it's the largest hamburger chain in the country because only kids eat there?!
You forgot the stuntas. Kids and stuntas.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #222
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,285
Roadracing isn't stunting. Stunters don't care about roadracing. All they have in common is the hardware - and not really at that.

Stunting, if properly promoted and presented could be bigger than roadracing in this country. Look at freestyle. Some smart fucker is someday gonna put both in a football stadium and blow it wide open. Have them both going at the same time on different ends of the stadium...lots of fireworks and explosions and Monster Truck screaming/announcing...Jumbo-Trons showing close-ups...can ya just see it?

Then they'll all go to McDonalds and celebrate.


Watching roadracing on TV is boring if you don't know what you're looking at. I'm a former roadracer and I think it's boring. Years ago I tried to get a roomate to sit down and watch a World Superbike race on the tube. He knew nothing about motorcycles. He watched a few laps with me and finally turned to me and said, "So they ride around the track and lean way over around the corners...I really don't get it."
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250


Chuckracer screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:35 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #223
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!
 
Mr. Magoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 4,949
http://www.nuclearcowboyz.com/
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #224
Echo3Niner
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
I understand your logic, but it doesn't seem to be affecting MotoGP or WSBK the way it is for AMA/DMG SBK. Having said that, another kind of racing that is HUGE in Europe and other parts of the world is F1, and that struggles here as well; so if you limit your logic to the USA television/sports viewers, you're probably pretty close...

Road racing in general struggles in the USA; SCCA, Trans-Am, etc. have all not gotten the coverage that they deserve; it will be interesting when the V8 Supercar (Australian series) comes to COTA; I will be interested to see how many American fans show up to that event...
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”

Echo3Niner screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 01:02 AM
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #225
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus
 
Chuckracer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lowville, NY
Oddometer: 7,285
The thread is called "2013 AMA Pro Roadracing No-Spoiler Catch-All Thread", so yeah, we're talking about AMA racing.

And Roadracing in this country is cooked.
__________________
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure
2001 Scorpa SY250

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014