Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #211
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd650 View Post
Swimmer you may be correct. Every young guy I talk to with a sportbike, doesnt know follow any of the racing.

DMG is a disgrace to the sport!!
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around. And the douche bags are the source of the stereotype. Maybe because I am older now than I was 10 years ago (really?) but I don't remember the douching being so intrusive back then and whether the decrease in US road racing is a directly inversely proportional to increased douching I am not sure but, it can't help. JMO.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #212
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around. And the douche bags are the source of the stereotype. Maybe because I am older now than I was 10 years ago (really?) but I don't remember the douching being so intrusive back then and whether the decrease in US road racing is a directly inversely proportional to increased douching I am not sure but, it can't help. JMO.
interesting viewpoint. the sportbike's which never should have been street legal to start with end up being the downfall of road racing. I like it and there is probably some truth to it.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #213
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
interesting viewpoint. the sportbike's which never should have been street legal to start with end up being the downfall of road racing. I like it and there is probably some truth to it.
The motorcycles are not the problem. And you might be pussy.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #214
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
The motorcycles are not the problem. And you might be pussy.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #215
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
The sportbike fad has peaked and has faded. There was road racing before it came along and there will be road racing after.

DMG has some work to do to return to grids that looked like this.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #216
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Maybe DMG should buy forty or fifty thousand new sportbikes for the next several years because thats the only way we'll see grids like that again.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #217
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,886
There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #218
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around.
Really?! So this new McDonald's ad with a bunch of stunt riders doing wheelies and burn outs doesn't seem to completely negate your theory? If a giant corp like McDonalds obviously wants to be associated with these "negative sport bike stereotypes", there must be a reason?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0L6ssxiqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_D0L6ssxiqk

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #219
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Really?! So this new McDonald's ad with a bunch of stunt riders doing wheelies and burn outs doesn't seem to completely negate your theory? If a giant corp like McDonalds obviously wants to be associated with these "negative sport bike stereotypes", there must be a reason?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0L6ssxiqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_D0L6ssxiqk
Do any adults really eat at McDonalds? Eye catching ad for children.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #220
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Do any adults really eat at McDonalds? Eye catching ad for children.
Yes, it's the largest hamburger chain in the country because only kids eat there?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #221
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Yes, it's the largest hamburger chain in the country because only kids eat there?!
You forgot the stuntas. Kids and stuntas.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #222
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,285
Roadracing isn't stunting. Stunters don't care about roadracing. All they have in common is the hardware - and not really at that.

Stunting, if properly promoted and presented could be bigger than roadracing in this country. Look at freestyle. Some smart fucker is someday gonna put both in a football stadium and blow it wide open. Have them both going at the same time on different ends of the stadium...lots of fireworks and explosions and Monster Truck screaming/announcing...Jumbo-Trons showing close-ups...can ya just see it?

Then they'll all go to McDonalds and celebrate.

Watching roadracing on TV is boring if you don't know what you're looking at. I'm a former roadracer and I think it's boring. Years ago I tried to get a roomate to sit down and watch a World Superbike race on the tube. He knew nothing about motorcycles. He watched a few laps with me and finally turned to me and said, "So they ride around the track and lean way over around the corners...I really don't get it."

Chuckracer screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:35 PM
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #223
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
http://www.nuclearcowboyz.com/
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #224
Echo3Niner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
I understand your logic, but it doesn't seem to be affecting MotoGP or WSBK the way it is for AMA/DMG SBK. Having said that, another kind of racing that is HUGE in Europe and other parts of the world is F1, and that struggles here as well; so if you limit your logic to the USA television/sports viewers, you're probably pretty close...

Road racing in general struggles in the USA; SCCA, Trans-Am, etc. have all not gotten the coverage that they deserve; it will be interesting when the V8 Supercar (Australian series) comes to COTA; I will be interested to see how many American fans show up to that event...
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”

Echo3Niner screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 01:02 AM
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #225
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,285
The thread is called "2013 AMA Pro Roadracing No-Spoiler Catch-All Thread", so yeah, we're talking about AMA racing.

And Roadracing in this country is cooked.

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote