Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #766
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmahman View Post
I think so Dave - Mine were the same. Both of em...
Thanks Mike. Give my regards to the WF group. Oh yea, you should have sold me yours.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #767
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Brilliant!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #768
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,419
What a project but I would rather be working on the bike. I hope nobody buggers up their gasket surface with this idea or the pushrod tube press. That was pretty funny.

You should use the tool a bit and see if it works. It surely won't as photoed. The flat bars will hit the head. The funniest thing is I can't figure out what keeps the valve from going down too? The whole point is to keep the valve in one place while the cap gets pushed down?
supershaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #769
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
I think the edge of the valve will hit the wood table top and should separate at the keeper end but I don't see how you are going to grab the keepers when removing or replace them when reassembling. And because the valve moves at least till it contacts the table there may be even less room to move than appears. It doesn't appear to have enough room.

I don't have a picture to show but for removing valves I have two tools. I don't think either one is right for an Airhead and I use one for removing and the other for assembly. One is a large C-Clamp type which I have brazed a socket on the end to make the right size. The other is the KD type.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #770
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think the edge of the valve will hit the wood table top and should separate at the keeper end but I don't see how you are going to grab the keepers when removing or replace them when reassembling. And because the valve moves at least till it contacts the table there may be even less room to move than appears. It doesn't appear to have enough room.

I don't have a picture to show but for removing valves I have two tools. I don't think either one is right for an Airhead and I use one for removing and the other for assembly. One is a large C-Clamp type which I have brazed a socket on the end to make the right size. The other is the KD type.
That sounds like a good way to bend a valve. It doesn't appear to work but surely someone with no experience will come in and say otherwise?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #771
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
That sounds like a good way to bend a valve. It doesn't appear to work but surely someone with no experience will come in and say otherwise?
Yes I think you may bend a valve but I also think it just won't work.

Nice try Plaka. Maybe something along this line could be developed or used in a situation where you don't have the right tool. Have you tried to actually use this thing?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #772
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Yes I think you may bend a valve but I also think it just won't work.

Nice try Plaka. Maybe something along this line could be developed or used in a situation where you don't have the right tool. Have you tried to actually use this thing?
Not on those heads or they would have gouge marks in them.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #773
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

Got the top end put together today..went slow---I had to wire in a sensor and run an oil line first, real easy with the jug off, pretty ugly with it on.

I'm letting the gaskets season and I'll torque it all down tomorrow.
What kind of sensor?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #774
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm fitting a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I moved the stock idiot light sender to the frame down tube and T'd it into the gauge pressure line. I also moved the oil temperature sender from the back of the Briel cooler (back of oil pan) to high on the underside of the left exhaust pushrod tube. (brazed in a boss). I figure this is as good as I'm going to get for the hottest oil. I don't think the sender at the pan really showed how hot the oil was getting. I'm after the peak number. I have an imersion thermocouple I'll rig in a cork to get some accurate pan temperatures (temporarily) and check the difference.
Interesting, thanx!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #775
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
The valve doesn't move at all.When removing you ball up a rag and put it in the combustion chamber. When installing you put a piece of masking tape over the valve (to keep it from pinching some thread off the rag), and do the ball up a rag routine again. I do this irrespective of the tool.

I grab the keepers with either a pick, a pair of hemostats or a small bar magnet. I usually lay out all three and grab this or that.

if you do the socket routine a 7/8" oxygen sensor socket is sweet. That was my first attempt but I screwed it up and it was less work to do something else than try to recover it. I still could have used the socket with my arbor press and a wood angle plate but that isn't the sort of stuff owned by people without a valve spring compressor.

Was that your tool I saw? Big C-clamp with two pieces of key stock welded on?
The concept here is much like a VW tool I've seen, used for changing valve springs on an assembled motor.

I've been able to use a conventional Craftsman valve spring tool, but I admire the creativity here.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #776
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Actually it works quite well. I wouldn't have posted it if the thing didn't work, and nicely. In fact I'd still be working on another version.

Took more time to take the nuts off the bottom and switch the tool to the other side than to put the keepers in. The valve has all kinds of float in the top cap and the thrust is withing fractions of a degree of strait down. The keepers just dropped in---which requires the valve be centered in the cap---so what's to bend? Careful who you listen to old son...I have the thing in my hands, I don't have to imagine anything.

It could use some refinement but it wasn't worth it for something I use every couple of years at most. Already it's faster than anything I've ever used. Don't look fancy but the geometry is right and the leverage is huge, you don't have to lean on the prybar a lot.

Got the top end put together today..went slow---I had to wire in a sensor and run an oil line first, real easy with the jug off, pretty ugly with it on.

I'm letting the gaskets season and I'll torque it all down tomorrow.

Oh no, you would never post things that don't work nicely. Like seasoning your gaskets, for instance.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #777
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
....snip.....

I've been able to use a conventional Craftsman valve spring tool, but I admire the creativity here.
+1 on both comments.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #778
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Oh no, you would never post things that don't work nicely. Like seasoning your gaskets, for instance.
Lemon zest?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #779
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Lemon zest?
If someone's expecting BS, I hate to disappoint. I prestress the bolts too..
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #780
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
The concept here is much like a VW tool I've seen, used for changing valve springs on an assembled motor.

The craftsman C-Clamp type tool? I have a KD one, works but f'ugly.

Plaka screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 04:02 PM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote