ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Bigfella66
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Dirtbikecomms

I bought a Garmin Rino 650 from dirtbikecomms and am very happy with it. They have a headset that will plug into this unit and are working on an adaptor for an ipod and phone to be connected as well. They were very helpfull with the setup. I also purchased maps and mount. This setup has been perfect for me as i ride in the bush and can see where my mates are.
Bigfella66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosefeather View Post
Happy Snapper got a current Rino and came round the other day to show it off, and load some maps on my Windows PC as he's a Mac fan.

After a bit of trial and error, using Mapsource, we established that it can load Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia. The only trick appears to be loading them so that they can be selected individually.

We're used to the GPSMap60 map selection method, where different map sets are readily selectable on the unit.

When we selected Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, all looked fine - could select/deselect the T4A maps. When we then loaded Shonky Maps and Tracks4Australia map tiles on the PC and loaded to the unit, there was only one map set to select/deselect and it appears the map set displayed was the highest priority in that set (can't remember which - think it was T4A).

After a bit of experimentation and looking at the onboard SD card contents, it appears that the default compiled image file on the unit is overwritten by the most recent transfer from the PC. We worked around this by:
- transferring T4A,
- renaming the standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to T4A.whateversuffixIforget
- transferring Shonky Maps
- renaming the new standard image file (something.whateversuffixIforget - I forget its name!) to ShonkyMaps.whateversuffixIforget

[edit - default map file is gmapsupp.img]

Happy can now select Shonky Maps or Tracks4Australia individually and pick the most appropriate map set for his location.

I hope this saves other Rino user's some frustration.
I loaded multiple maps as well, just load each individually, then go into the unit and rename the gmapsupp.img file you just created by loading the map to gmapsuppshonky.img for example, then load tracks for australia and then rename that gmapsupptracks.img etc. I have City Navigator, Tracks for Australia, Oztopo 2.1b, Shonky Maps, and the standard basemap all loaded to it now and can select them individually.

Wilmo

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 787
PTT problem

sorry to resurrect an old thread. Bought some of these quite some time ago & just got around to fitting a headset & PTT button for the handlebars. (good service from DMME)
One rino unit works fine the other unit won't recognise the headset properly - the sound goes to the headphones but the PTT button won't work.
Both running the same software & same settings. Tried the headset on a mates rino 650 & it won't work on it either.
It did intermittently recognise the headset in one session of trying to get it to work.
Anyone else had this problem?
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
On Special

These Rinos are on sale at Dicky Smiths atm for $199, sounds like a bargain..
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote