natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #47
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Not yet wanna buy it?
it doesn't look stock. have you made any mods?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #48
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthuey View Post
it doesn't look stock. have you made any mods?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594288
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:13 AM   #49
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,266
Dumb question but do you need a special license to drive one of those? Im sure you probably have one already but for an average joe?

Oh and do you need to pull over at the truck stops by the troopers if you aren't commercial Use

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 AM   #50
natedog39 OP
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Dumb question but do you need a special license to drive one of those? Im sure you probably have one already but for an average joe?

Oh and do you need to pull over at the truck stops by the troopers if you aren't commercial Use
The way I read the regs, no, as long as its for personal use.

I have a CDL anyway but not class A.

I intend to register it as an RV and not have commercial plates, if that happens I shouldn't have to stop at weigh stations.

If used for commercial purposes a class B would be needed by itself and a class A when towing any trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs.

I may use it to get my class A anyway if I can find the right trailer.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
I intend to register it as an RV and not have commercial plates, if that happens I shouldn't have to stop at weigh stations.
I think this may vary from state to state? Some states want anything that is even close to a commercial vehicle to stop at weigh stations for harassment. I think some states consider anything over 8000 gvwr a "truck". But I might be wrong, maybe it's only if you have a trailer. A truckers' atlas should have the state by state breakdown if someone is curious.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #52
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I think this may vary from state to state? Some states want anything that is even close to a commercial vehicle to stop at weigh stations for harassment. I think some states consider anything over 8000 gvwr a "truck". But I might be wrong, maybe it's only if you have a trailer. A truckers' atlas should have the state by state breakdown if someone is curious.
My '94 dually has a 10,000# GVWR, and I think my 1/2 ton pickup is rated over 8.

For some reason, 24,000 combined sticks in my mind, but can't remember if it is for weigh stations or CDL requirement. I just remember that we used to have to make sure we stayed below it at a delivery job I had a million years ago.
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #53
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
My '94 dually has a 10,000# GVWR, and I think my 1/2 ton pickup is rated over 8.

For some reason, 24,000 combined sticks in my mind, but can't remember if it is for weigh stations or CDL requirement. I just remember that we used to have to make sure we stayed below it at a delivery job I had a million years ago.
I am not sure of the specifics but am pretty sure that the short answer is "varies from state to state plus the individual states have to adhere to Federal standards when you are using their Federal highways."

The previous owner of my Nissan UD with a 16K GVW has it plated at 14K with Illinois plates. Since I am in Texas with a theoretical Florida residence I am debating as to where and how I'll register it.

And that 24K standard sounds like the old standard below which a person didn't need a CDL to operate in interstate commerce. Although a lot has changed since I shut down my truckin' company almost 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #54
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,178
I believe if you put "Private Coach" or "Not For Hire" or both they leave you alone, at least that's what I have heard but I am sure it varies state to state.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #55
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
26,000 lbs
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #56
Tork
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
26,000 lbs
That is what I thought too, when I was building my place I had a 5ton dump truck
Rated at 28,000 I was told to license it at 26,000 to avoid CDL req.
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #57
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
I believe if you put "Private Coach" or "Not For Hire" or both they leave you alone, at least that's what I have heard but I am sure it varies state to state.
Wrong. Doesn't really mean squat. It can help you ID a semi that's been properly re-titled as an RV to LEO's, but it doesn't MEAN anything.

Lemme lay this out: You have to retitle it as an RV or private truck to be treated as non-commercial. But if you do that, you do NOT have to stop at weigh stations. You also don't need a CDL.

Now, not all states will let you retitle a commercial vehicle to an RV, but many will. Assuming you can complete this hurdle, you're most of the way there. The other problem is not all states have a non-CDL class A or B. This can be highly annoying for those folks because CDLs can cost a LOT more and also put a lot of crazy annoying limitations on you (like CDL holders can't have a BAL of more than ZERO, whereas everyone else is 0.08).

But in states where you CAN get a non-CDL class A or B you're good to go. I have a Class A (non-CDL) in NC. You go get the CDL manual and study the first section ONLY. The endorsements DO NOT MATTER because they don't care what kind of brakes your NON-COMMERCIAL VEHICLE has. So even if your RV has air brakes, there's no "air brake endorsement" on a non-CDL and NONE REQUIRED. If you were getting a CDL you'd have to care, but otherwise, NO!

Then you get someone with a Class A (CDL or otherwise) to drive your big rig to the DMV and you take your driving test. This is the same kind of test as you'd take to get a normal license, it is NOT the same driving test CDL applicants take. You don't have to prove you can do a pre-trip inspection or any of that crap. You go show you can not hit things, signal properly, come to complete stops, etc, and you're done. At least in NC.

And if your state has that, you're now legal in ANY state thanks to reciprocity regulations, even in states that don't offer non-CDL Class A licenses.

And if you're driving your vehicle titled as an RV for non-commercial purposes and you have a huge trailer you still do NOT have to stop at weigh stations NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH. Unless it says "All Vehicles." It can say "All Trucks" and you do NOT have to stop. You are not a "truck", you are an RV.

That said, you can still get chased, pulled, and hassled. I've even heard of perfectly legal folks getting tickets and even parked and having to fight in court, but it's REALLY rare. If you're polite and stubborn, they'll get tired of arguing with you eventually. But STAY polite.

I've been stopped a couple times in semis with RV titles. Both times the officer looked puzzled. One time he even went to his car and presumably called things in. But both times they let me go with a smile upon realizing I was really in an RV that looked like a typical semi for the most part.

All bets are off if you DO APPEAR TO BE COMMERCIAL for some reason. You better have a CDL and you better stop at weigh stations if you're conducting business. But if you're not? Don't stop at weigh stations. Make them come after you. More folks who do this regularly are hassled when they stop than folks chased and hassled.

--Donnie
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #58
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post

...... (like CDL holders can't have a BAL of more than ZERO, whereas everyone else is 0.08).

--Donnie

Blood alcohol level of .04 is legally drunk for CDL holders whether operating a CMV or passenger vehicle.

BAL of .02 is a 24 hours out of service penalty.

382.201Alcohol concentration.

No driver shall report for duty or remain on duty requiring the performance of safety-sensitive functions while having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater. No employer having knowledge that a driver has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater shall permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

382.505Other alcohol-related conduct.

(a) No driver tested under the provisions of subpart C of this part who is found to have an alcohol concentration of 0.02 or greater but less than 0.04 shall perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions for an employer, including driving a commercial motor vehicle, nor shall an employer permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions, until the start of the driver's next regularly scheduled duty period, but not less than 24 hours following administration of the test.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no employer shall take any action under this part against a driver based solely on test results showing an alcohol concentration less than 0.04. This does not prohibit an employer with authority independent of this part from taking any action otherwise consistent with law.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

bomber1965 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 11:58 AM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #59
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,672
Excellent reporting job Donnie!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #60
natedog39 OP
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,129
Test run.

I received plates for the big dog the other day and installed tail lights and a new exhaust .

The existing stack is shot and is going to be moved behind the sleeper instead of next to the passenger door. The new stack will be a six incher, up from the four inch on it now.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: