Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #91
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,364
I've been looking for a 4wd as a second vehicle for a while. I'd use it on road trips, local in the mountains, off road or hauling stuff.

I like the Subaru Outbacks, but with high mileage they seem to have a lot of issues, head gaskets, wheel bearings, cv joints, timing belts and ? There are LCs out there for less than a 4runner and offer more off road, just wondering if I'm missing something besides a loss in mpg.

So I've been looking for something capable off road and doesn't require a lot of repairs and routine maintenance is manageable.

I'm looking at Land Cruisers from the mid-90s, probably over 150-230K. If one is found with that mileage that has been well maintained, is it usually a good bet that it will keep running well? Any years that are better to look at, features to get? I've been looking at 94, 96/97.

What are the major problem areas? What to look at when buying one?

If it needs service are the labor rates higher to work on an LC? Are the older ones ok to do some work on your own? I'd like something I can work on.

I'm also assuming the LC offers more cargo room than a 4runner or Subaru.

Thanks, Looking forward to the advice.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #92
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
plenty of info

http://forum.ih8mud.com/toyota-tech-forums/
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #93
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #94
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
This "Free" TLC has been surprisingly expensive.
Currently tied up in DMV purgatory.
It ran real good but it was tweaked to pass smog. Now a hard starter .
Also the clutch pedal has to go the the floor to engage.

Starting to question the wisdom of the whole project

Sure is cool to drive though, 14MPG!

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #95
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,077
I'm rather partial to mine....

1978 FJ-40 purchased by my father in 1993 and I learned to drive it that same year (13 yrs old). I bought it from my dad a few years back and added Chevy TBI, mini-truck PS, Vintage Air AC, Tacoma wheels, Tuffy console w/stereo, Bestop rollbar speakers and full Autometer gauges.

Value: Pricele$$

'Rett Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #96
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
It ran real good but it was tweaked to pass smog. Now a hard starter .
I'm not intimately familiar with LC's so I could be way off here. But my guess would be they most likely leaned out the idle. Meaning it is not getting the fuel it used to at idle for starting. Possibly the idle speed was adjusted as well.

Good luck hope that helps
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #97
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with LC's so I could be way off here. But my guess would be they most likely leaned out the idle. Meaning it is not getting the fuel it used to at idle for starting. Possibly the idle speed was adjusted as well.

Good luck hope that helps
If its a CA car (by the plate) even if the truck was brand new it would barely pass their emissions standards.

When my FJ40 failed emissions we moved to Northern Arizona and ripped the SMOG shit off. Then I did the TBI conversion and its never run better and the MPG improved.
'Rett Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #98
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
PO never non op since 08. CA wants it titled, tagged and to pass CA smog before they will release it to Nevada! WTF? Broke ass commie state BS.
Oh and title was lost

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #99
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,915
Check ignition timing. It's often fiddled with to pass smog.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #100
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29 View Post
I've been looking for a 4wd as a second vehicle for a while. I'd use it on road trips, local in the mountains, off road or hauling stuff.

I like the Subaru Outbacks, but with high mileage they seem to have a lot of issues, head gaskets, wheel bearings, cv joints, timing belts and ? There are LCs out there for less than a 4runner and offer more off road, just wondering if I'm missing something besides a loss in mpg.

So I've been looking for something capable off road and doesn't require a lot of repairs and routine maintenance is manageable.

I'm looking at Land Cruisers from the mid-90s, probably over 150-230K. If one is found with that mileage that has been well maintained, is it usually a good bet that it will keep running well? Any years that are better to look at, features to get? I've been looking at 94, 96/97.

If it needs service are the labor rates higher to work on an LC? Are the older ones ok to do some work on your own? I'd like something I can work on.

I'm also assuming the LC offers more cargo room than a 4runner or Subaru.

Thanks, Looking forward to the advice.
My brother in law had one of those and just ate brakes and rotors, but he's hard on brakes and drove San Francisco a lot. Maybe check into a Trooper instead? I have a 2000 and it's never given us any problems even though it only has 104K on it. The fetch way less money than any LC's. I'll post up the one photo I have of my old FJ55 when I figure out my scanner.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #101
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post

Oh my.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #102
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29 View Post

I'm looking at Land Cruisers from the mid-90s, probably over 150-230K. If one is found with that mileage that has been well maintained, is it usually a good bet that it will keep running well?
If well maintained you should be good to go for a long time. Toyota engineered the LC 80 series for 25 years of service in sub-optimal conditions. Technically the engines are spec'ed to have top end overhauls at 300K KM - and can be freshened 2x over for 900K KM of service life. In reality the trucks in the US have not needed this work.

Here is a design overview of the 1FZ-FE engine found in the 94-97 Land Cruiser:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...s-article.html

The 1FZ-FE was sourced from Toyota Industries fork lift line. Those machines either idle or are near red line all of their life. The engine in a Land Cruiser is way overkill from a reliability standpoint.

Quote:
Any years that are better to look at, features to get? I've been looking at 94, 96/97.
1995-1997 is preferred. These years had dual airbags and OBD2 which simplifies a lot of troubleshooting. The most coveted models have the Front and Rear locking differentials standard. These supposedly were in about 10% of US Trucks.

Here are the sales figures by year for the Land Cruiser in the late 90's.

1995.......14,208.......FZJ80
1996.......12,816.......FZJ80
1997.......11,502.......FZJ80

This would mean there were about 4,000 cruisers sold in the US with the lockers.

Quote:
These trucks are now approaching 16 years old at a minimum. The cooling system is the first thing that springs to mind. If these run hot or are not maintained they have a tendency to blow the HG. It is a long I6 with an aluminum head and iron block - so this can be a bit tricky. FWIW I just had my HG replaced as PM as I approached 175K Miles. This is probably over zealous but I didn't want to worry about it.

The front solid axle is also usually neglected. These should be serviced and renewed every 60K miles - but this can be stretched a bit. This can be a big messy job - and if neglected long enough you will need new Birfields.

Here is a good over view of the front axle and job:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...build-faq.html

Quote:
If it needs service are the labor rates higher to work on an LC?
Usually less in my experience. The premier shop for LC's in Atlanta is ACC Toyota. http://acctoyota.com

Quote:
Are the older ones ok to do some work on your own? I'd like something I can work on.
Most owners at this point do a good bit of work themselves. These trucks lend themselves well to home maintenance. Huge engine bay, quality fasteners, straight forward jobs all around.

The thing about these trucks is that they were $45-55K when new in late 90s.They have depreciated but parts and labor have not. They have a relatively high cost of ownership if you want to keep it in good condition and maintained to spec. Here is a good thread on the topic of cost of ownership:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ownership.html

I order all of my parts from a dealer in Georgia - Lowe Toyota. Great service, free shipping and good savings.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marke...ost-items.html

I love the FZJ80 as a second vehicle specifically for road trips to the mountains and other out of the way places. There is something about a cruiser that can't be found in other SUVs in my opinion. I just rolled 177K and intend to have it until I am dead or we run out of dino juice.

1997 FZJ80

error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #103
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 788
This one was mine. Best car i ever had. If you want to go places and come back this should be your choice.

From a 3 weeks desert safari to a snowy mountain

And back to the desert

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #104
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
This one was mine. Best car i ever had. If you want to go places and come back this should be your choice.

From a 3 weeks desert safari to a snowy mountain

And back to the desert

I just saw one of these today on 280 north, but with what looked like an Alberta plate.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #105
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 788
The lc75 was never sold in the USA

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread