Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #91
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Guys just look into the reliability of Electrosport with existing products before putting your hopes on them. A more than spotty record....

I personally don't think the new flywheel will make any significant difference, what are those little holes on a spinning wheel really going to do in terms of cooling?

At least the series R/R is "cheap" and has been successfully used by the owners of many other bikes with problematic stators.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #92
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

At least the series R/R is "cheap" and has been successfully used by the owners of many other bikes with problematic stators.
Mine seems to be working fine at this point. (see my post in the other thread)
One side effect I have noticed is that voltage has gone from 13.9 to 14.1 - 14.2

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #93
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Quote:
Guys just look into the reliability of Electrosport with existing products before putting your hopes on them. A more than spotty record....

I personally don't think the new flywheel will make any significant difference, what are those little holes on a spinning wheel really going to do in terms of cooling?

Lukas:
I can't seem to find much reliability data on other Electrosport units do you have a source?
Here they get 4-stars with 25 reviews but that's about all I can come up with..........
http://www.bikebandit.com/electrospo...ustries-stator

I did stumble on these guys: http://www.customrewind.com/
The website is lame, but they are purported to do good work........ Since I have a burned up stator from a friend's bike I'm going to call them this week and talk about our 200C stator conditions and see if they run away screaming........... or nod their head knowingly and whisper sweet nothings in my ear...

On the flywheel holes.... unless we can get someone with the new design to lay in some thermocouples I guess we won't know for sure ....

it would seem that it would allow for at least some "flow-thru" of air and perhaps oil?
I don't know what the oil level is in the crankcase but it does seem like it might be high enough be able to run thru the (new) holes in the flywheel for some beneficial effect but ... I'm just guessing
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #94
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
Just search on ADV and you will get plenty of hits. They are right up there with Sidewinder Sprockets...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #95
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just search on ADV and you will get plenty of hits. They are right up there with Sidewinder Sprockets...
Wow ... THAT GOOD huh?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #96
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Arse! Came back here to report that I was up and running again with a replacement Electrosport stator, only to read the last few comments ...!

Oh well, we'll see how this one lasts. One thing is for sure, it is better than the burned out BMW one that now resides in the trash.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #97
yns
cretan inside

Oddometer: 58
Hey,
For a week now I go to work with a damn 100cc Chinese moped bike... (at least I still have a job in Greece... )

Long story short: Bike 37.000 km, a couple of weeks ago it starts turning on with the 2nd or 3rd effort. Clock turns off and then on again and resets doing the check from the start. I buy a new battery. It lasted ~ 200km. After some beers last Friday I had to walk home. Day after I started the bike with the old battery (that still had some life) and brought it home. With motor running I measured a pathetic 10,4V at the terminals.

Today I opened the stator case. This is what I found:

Does it look fried to you? For sure I have seen worse...

Here's what I measured with stator plug disconnected from the R/R:

Continuity between the yellow stator wires (1-2, 1-3, 2-3)

- Engine off (battery connected)
All tree between 0.6 and 0.9 Ω

Continuity between the yellow stator wires and earth (engine casing)

- With battery disconnected:
Wire 1 - ground: 1.2 Ω
Wire 2 - ground: 1.3 Ω
Wire 3 - ground: 1.1 Ω

- With motor running (4.000 rpm):
Readings went crazy but sometimes they showed numbers from 2 to 3 (Ω or megaΩ? - it's a professional instrument but I guess I don't know how to use it and if I'm supposed to check for continuity with motor running)

Voltage

- Motor running idle:
Wire 1 - 2: 27V~
Wire 1 - 3: 26V~
Wire 2 - 3: 25V~

- Motor running @ 4.000 rpm:
Wire 1 - 2: > 75 V~
Wire 1 - 3: > 80 V~
Wire 2 - 3: > 75 V~

Your opinion? Is it the stator or should I search for a rectifier?

yns screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 12:21 PM Reason: Correction of last sentence "alternator" -> "rectifier"
yns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #98
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by yns View Post
Hey,
For a week now I go to work with a damn 100cc Chinese moped bike... (at least I still have a job in Greece... )

Long story short: Bike 37.000 km, a couple of weeks ago it starts turning on with the 2nd or 3rd effort. Clock turns off and then on again and resets doing the check from the start. I buy a new battery. It lasted ~ 200km. After some beers last Friday I had to walk home. Day after I started the bike with the old battery (that still had some life) and brought it home. With motor running I measured a pathetic 10,4V at the terminals.

Today I opened the stator case. This is what I found:

Does it look fried to you? For sure I have seen worse...

Here's what I measured with stator plug disconnected from the R/R:

Continuity between the yellow stator wires (1-2, 1-3, 2-3)

- Engine off (battery connected)
All tree between 0.6 and 0.9 Ω

Continuity between the yellow stator wires and earth (engine casing)

- With battery disconnected:
Wire 1 - ground: 1.2 Ω.....Shorted
Wire 2 - ground: 1.3 Ω.....Shorted
Wire 3 - ground: 1.1 Ω.....Shorted

- With motor running (4.000 rpm):
Readings went crazy but sometimes they showed numbers from 2 to 3 (Ω or megaΩ? - it's a professional instrument but I guess I don't know how to use it and if I'm supposed to check for continuity with motor running)

Voltage

- Motor running idle:
Wire 1 - 2: 27V~
Wire 1 - 3: 26V~
Wire 2 - 3: 25V~

- Motor running @ 4.000 rpm:
Wire 1 - 2: > 75 V~
Wire 1 - 3: > 80 V~
Wire 2 - 3: > 75 V~

Your opinion? Is it the stator or should I search for an alternator?
Stator..... alternator... is the same thing. Looks like yours is shorted out. You can see the whole measuring method here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809879

Make sure you test for earth with the r/r disconnected.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #99
yns
cretan inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Stator..... alternator... is the same thing. Looks like yours is shorted out. You can see the whole measuring method here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809879

Make sure you test for earth with the r/r disconnected.
Thanks Erling, I meant R/R when I wrote "alternator in the last phrase. I'll correct it in my post and I'll check your guide. I've read all the posts of the 2 main threads about stator failures but I had missed your guide. Will update with my results.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #100
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Erling, I meant R/R when I wrote "alternator in the last phrase. I'll correct it in my post and I'll check your guide. I've read all the posts of the 2 main threads about stator failures but I had missed your guide. Will update with my results.
No worries..... That's what I thought you meant.... It looks like your are shorted , and it is possible, that the few "good windings" are producing the 50-70 vac you see, but as soon as connected to the r/r ( those reading should be done disconnected) the voltage drops.

Erling
Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #101
yns
cretan inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
No worries..... That's what I thought you meant.... It looks like your are shorted , and it is possible, that the few "good windings" are producing the 50-70 vac you see, but as soon as connected to the r/r ( those reading should be done disconnected) the voltage drops.
In fact, all the measurements are made with the R/R disconnected. I have not changed anything to the electrical system apart from an extra 12V socket (directly on the battery) for charging the cell phone with the engine off. But I did this last summer... Seems that I have to go to an electrician to have the bike checked but first I will try to have a measurement done at the terminals with the socket disconnected (and the r/r plug connected) to exclude that this is that shorts out.

Edit: it wasn't the extra socket... And my neighbors didn't like the fact that I was testing with engine at 4.000 rpm at 10:00 pm...

yns screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 01:05 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #102
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In fact, all the measurements are made with the R/R disconnected. I have not changed anything to the electrical system apart from an extra 12V socket (directly on the battery) for charging the cell phone with the engine off. But I did this last summer... Seems that I have to go to an electrician to have the bike checked but first I will try to have a measurement done at the terminals with the socket disconnected (and the r/r plug connected) to exclude that this is that shorts out.

Edit: it wasn't the extra socket... And my neighbors didn't like the fact that I was testing with engine at 4.000 rpm at 10:00 pm...
Ha ha... I understand..... In my home country of Denmark, they would not look at this kindly either. You really dont need the electrician. Just do the three measurements, as in my thread. It is a series of tests. If any one fails, your stator is bad. Ie. You cannot have two tests be ok, and a third bad..... Then the stator is bad.

Erling
Old 10-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #103
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
I think I have a dying but not quite dead stator. A resting battery charge of 12.6. It will slowly get up past 13v, but only if the engine revved past 4,000 rpm. Below 12v with high beam and heated grips on high with the engine running.

The bike will fire up even with a battery voltage less than 12v

Here are the stator readings:

Resistance is .5 across the board.

At idle I am getting 28 volts on all 3 prongs

At 3,000 rpm 1-2 is 28
1-3 is 40
2-3 is 52v

Sorry the computer seems to want to put my values where it wants. I have done a test 2 and 3 with a warm engine and at idle the voltage drops for all 3 connections from 15 to 24v. At 3,500rpm 1-2 remains 15v and the others range from 47 to 59v

prongs to ground are all 0.00

Before I order up, is there something else I should be looking at?

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 01:13 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #104
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Those numbers seem a bit screwy to me ... but not good....

If you have ZERO resistance to ground that's a killer ...
There should be "infinite" resistance from any of the three prongs to ground so ... if it's really zero I would say ... yeah you are screwed
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #105
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Looks screwy to me too, that why I posted. With 2 test with a hot engine. 1-2 stayed at 15v no matter the revs. 1-3 started at 18v at idle, then 47 on the first hot test and 24v on the second at 3,500rpm. 2-3 is now 24v at idle then 54 and 58v at 3,500rpm.

I don't know if it is normal for the voltage to change, but the same thing happened when taking readings at the battery. Different day, different charge rate, none of it good.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 06:39 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote