Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #226
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Vale Madre View Post
thanks for the kind words ceebee and ever one else. was a great ride and outstand company.looking forward to next time. BURT
Great RR, gents. Reassuring to learn CC is coming back.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #227
Rockin Rollin
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Thumb

Hey, thanks for reportring guys. You covered some great terrain!
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #228
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277

Breakfast in front of the 'hotel'. Sleep in today, didn't meet up for breakfast until 0700. Town is still asleep.

IMGP2596.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Original owner (?), somewhere along our route today...

IMGP2598.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2602.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mike had the shrimp followed by OYSTERS. Brave man.

IMGP2610.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I had the coconut shrimp, pretty good.

IMGP2611.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The scene of the crime. Desk clerk wrote one deposit slip for the key (100 pesos) and one slip for the remote (250 pesos). In the confusion of the lobby she made the $250peso slip disappear and in the morning pretended she never wrote it up, she knew. I would ask you to avoid the Malibu Motel in Guaymas because of the corrupt staff. The motel itself was okay.

IMGP2613.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

In the morning it was more slab to Sonoyta. Here is a big bug made out of a VW bug

IMGP2614.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The only other time we got 'seperated' for a bit was here. I sat at the Pemex while the boys went back to look for Ken. We had waited here and he was waiting in town. We found each other and continued on. Somewhere along the route we stopped for gas and a snack. Mike and Burt opened a can of sardines. I had to move upwind. They had a powerful smell about them.

IMGP2620.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Our hotel in Sonoyto. Sketchy border town but we pretty much had to stay here. The place to export the bikes used to be located about 20 miles south of the border. When I entered Mexico the Customs guy told me to export bike 10 kilometers south of border so I figured we were good. Well, when we stopped at the location as we came north they told us the export location was back in Caborca now, 150 miles south!!! We weren't going back and would now have to cross at San Luis Colorado, no big deal, we would leave Mexico tomorrows.

IMGP2623.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP2621.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Last chance for cactus and some sort of meat.

IMGP2628.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Small bathroom, but they had great water pressure and hot water. (and a toilet seat!)

IMGP2631.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Ken had to fix the curtain after he hung his gear here and it all came tumbling down

IMGP2630.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Mike skipped dinner, we wasn't feeling good. I walked down to the Subway and got him a sandwich. It was further than I thought and the night people were out. I crossed the road a couple times to avoid some of the people, looked like some huffers and meth heads were out. Mike couldn't hold down the sandwich and we just hoped he would be okay until he got home sometime tomorrow.....could it be the oysters?????

Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X

chabon screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:46 PM
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #229
shortcutsmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Chabon, I love your last 2 videos, how appropriate.Thanks for the super RR. I'm anxious to see what the MI guys had to say about their ride. Also somewhat supprised to hear the Indian guy that was laying 1/2 on the traveled road was alive. My guess was that he expired where stopped. All is well and if he starts early the next day he could be one of those guys that "drinks all day" Gotta start early though.
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #230
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

This is the end.....or is it just the beginning???

and now a little something from an Argentinian band.....

After a goodnights sleep (not sure about Mike) we are on the way to Yuma today. Kind of sad to go, I could have kept going south but...... We follow the border on the Mexican side. New road, a little construction and dirt detours but went pretty fast.

IMGP2632.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

We check out the bikes, fast and easy process, Ken buys some tequilla and gives me a bottle to take across as he would be over the limit. Gregg's bike is not ready to leave Mexico and lays down in protest

IMGP2633.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Don't see any smoke from the KTM, good thing we change oil, pistons and the crank every 300 miles. The knobs are about gone...

IMGP2634.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Burts hauling ass to the barn

IMGP2635.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Could only fit my head in the photo, no bike

Mike peeled off to go find a public restroom or something. Gregg is around somewhere, didnt get a parting shot...

We got back to Burt's house and it was early enough to load up and hit the road back to Santa Barbara. Ken loaded up also to make it part way home. Quick goodbyes and another 390 miles in the truck. Only got lost a little in San Bernardino when I wasn't paying attention to the GPS.

Great trip, great country, super people, fantastic riding.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #231
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Bastardized KTM

If you look close, you will see that the KTM is sporting a Yamaha mirror! (Don't tell Ken I pointed this out).

Can't remember what happened to his mirror, but since I had two and he had none we worked it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #232
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Great Ride Report Guys! Always fun to read others experiences in the Canyons!

I was the last guy in line with the Minnesota Group!

You Should A told me about the guy laying in the road around the corner! SCARED t-h-e Hell outa me! At least when he moved, I knew he was alive.....barley

We stayed in Morelos & La Lajita too! Now, we know the "Rest" of the story you guys are famous!

Stay tuned for our RR

Sleddog
I can't wait for your ride report, you got a late start out of Urique, I was wondering how that last stretch into Batophilas was for you guys, I will be looking foward to your ride report, we told the first 3 riders about the sleeping guy. We thought he might be dead
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #233
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Vale Madre View Post
thanks for the kind words ceebee and ever one else. was a great ride and outstand company.looking forward to next time. BURT
I've got a wedding in Wyoming to attend, no Mazatlan Bike week for me....thanks for this ride.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Great Ride Report Guys! Always fun to read others experiences in the Canyons!

I was the last guy in line with the Minnesota Group!

You Should A told me about the guy laying in the road around the corner! SCARED t-h-e Hell outa me! At least when he moved, I knew he was alive.....barley

We stayed in Morelos & La Lajita too! Now, we know the "Rest" of the story you guys are famous!

Stay tuned for our RR

Sleddog
We're waiting for your RR with open ears.....hoping for lots of photos and stories......I remember Suzies, a Katoom, a small GS.....which one was you? We really thought you'd have a good time getting over that mountain as late and hot as it was......and if that guy in the road was still there, I'm surprised he was alive......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
If you look close, you will see that the KTM is sporting a Yamaha mirror! (Don't tell Ken I pointed this out).

Can't remember what happened to his mirror, but since I had two and he had none we worked it out.
Ya, the 690e had major failures including a heat shield bolt, the headlight aim and the folding KTM mirror which sheared off at the base.....Thanks for the Yammie lend, it would have been uncomfortable not to have a mirror in traffic....and for all those who wonder.....the Yammie mirror swings both ways, rightie and leftie......kinda like the redhead at b'fast in Alamo......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #234
rapz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Great to see pixs of Mexico riding. I miss riding down there, but things are getting better so I hope to get down there again. Thanks for the ride report.
rapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #235
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

What should I pack? Well, this is what I pack.....

and this song is dedicated to our 'true' travelin man BURT

Okay, so your wondering, what do you pack for a trip like this? Wonder no more. Well, your needs might be different, but here is what I did and what I learned. Every trip I try to exclude stuff I didn't use for the next trip. Light and small is my goal. Riding the Wr250 it's also good to minimize. So lets see....

This was my total package except for my riding gear and a fleece jacket.
The two plastic trays held my small stuff in my tank bags, as well as my paperwork in a ziplock.

IMGP2639.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Left turpperware had stuff to clean visor, headlamp, battery and phone charger, tire gage, ear plugs, chapstick, etc.

IMGP2640.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Right tupperwear had knife, lighter, AAA batteries for SPOT, earplugs (gonna have to loose some earplugs to save some weight).

IMGP2641.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Here is my left Wolfman, all clothe are synthetic or merlino wool for easy cleaning and fast drying. Couple pair of shorts, one pair of pants with zip off legs, 3 short sleeve shirts, long under armor (pants and shirt) for cold days, 5 pair of socks, water shoes/sandels, couple of small toiletry bags.

IMGP2642.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

and this is all I really used and needed. Rinsed clothes every night or every other night. Could go with a smaller/flatter/lighter pair of shoes.

IMGP2643.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

The right Wolfman held my toolbag (spare tube was on front fender in pouch), water filter kit, firstaid kit, sleeping bag liner, cook kit, some coffee and energy bars, and a ziplock with spare Wolfman buckles, memory card, and a little rope.

IMGP2645.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

and here is what I could have gotten by with. Didn't use any of these things but I will always carry tools and parts, water filter, firstaid kit.

IMGP2644.JPG by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

I will use this post to help me remember what to pack next time! But everything I need for a 2 week trip (actually perpetual trip) would fit in one Wolfman bag with room to spare. So with all that extra room why not through in a few luxury items, as long as they are light weight! and plenty of room for camping gear if your aren't hotelling it.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #236
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Thanks for the look inside the wolfman

Was impressed with your packing on the last few trips. This has always been the final frontier for myself, on the fine art of packing light.

Maybe next time we can see the cook kit in action...We can heat up some sardines...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #237
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Hot sardines with rancid mayonnaise sounds good

Las Vegas NHRA finals this weekend, Carizzo Plain camping next weekend, Central Coast Trail camping in two weeks, then San Francisco. I think I will have missed every weekend of being home for 3 months! I need a vacation from vacation. Mexico would be the only exception. Keep me in the loop for future trips, I'm ready and as you can see, it doesn't take too long to pack!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #238
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

and some more on this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post

Was looking at a report on Expedition Portal and seems the shootout happened prior to April of 2008. Just a little slow patching the holes. See this link

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ight=batopilas

Again, safe in Mexico. Don't let this deter you. We all hear the reports of all the shootings in the States. In fact, I would venture to guess that Mexico as well as a lot of other countries have travel warnings about coming to the USA.

I would be more afraid of the sardines or a stray animal on the road!!

chabon screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 03:19 PM
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #239
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

Ya, the 690e had major failures including a heat shield bolt, the headlight aim and the folding KTM mirror which sheared off at the base........
Walrus,
As a fellow 690'er ( ), I chuckled with that line.....those are standard bike issues....what about fuel pump, regulator, rocker cam bearings issues? THOSE are major failure issues with some of these beasts

Any mechanical issues with your 690 before and during this ride?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #240
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Walrus,
As a fellow 690'er ( ), I chuckled with that line.....those are standard bike issues....what about fuel pump, regulator, rocker cam bearings issues? THOSE are major failure issues with some of these beasts

Any mechanical issues with your 690 before and during this ride?
Ged,

I got into big trouble on the 690 thread for telling that bunch that I consider the 690e as reliable as any bike made......

I got the same grief when I bought my current '02 GS......everyone said I'd have a FD failure and that bike's now 10 years old and I really like it still.....

I'm not a mechanic so I do maintenance and I'm not particularly hard on bikes except for being a big guy....finally lost those extra Camarones kilos......

I have had more troubles with the "solid" XRR's than the 690's.....and, shhhhh....I've got two......The fact is that it was a running joke with Chabon on this trip.......really, the biggest fail was the rubber, those Pirelli MT-21's were lumpy on the road and wore out quickly. They were new when I started this ride and after the 2300 miles, they can run a few local trips to the post office but will be useless otherwise. I don't think that the Shinko's are a viable alternative for the 690 but I'm curious to hear otherwise from somebody who has tried them. The Shinko's were on all four of the other bikes and seemed to ride well on both the pavement and dirt. I still have a few more tires in my inventory, one more MT-21 rear and I'll bet money that Pirelli will never see any more of my $$$......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote