Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #121
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Out in the oil patch you see a number of buildings that are built on skids. Typically a truck with a steel roller at the end of the chassis or end of the trailer will winch the skid-mounted object off the ground and onto the truck and move it from site to site.

Generally the oilfield buildings are ugly but they are easily moved with the proper equipment, and the entry height is lower than a mobile home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #122
PirateJohn OP
Banned

House originally build in Cincinnati in the 1940's, extensively remodeled to become a modern cubic and glass structure. It would be interesting to use this style for something suitable for mobile and/or desert living.

Article at http://www.dwell.com/house-tours/sli.../home-schooled

Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #123
PirateJohn OP
Banned

NATO uses a standardized system to pick up and load their 20 ft. ISO containers, a/k/a CONEX boxes. The system is derived from a system used for industrial trash containers and I got a chance to see 15 ft. trash containers being loaded. Loading onto the truck chassis was pretty straightforward but I was curious how they loaded a trailer. Seen that number and now it makes sense.

Probably a bit elaborate and expensive for my project but who knows ...

Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #124
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Clever, space saving furniture designs -

http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #125
PirateJohn OP
Banned

What is the feeling on the Steelmaster / Quonset hut style buildings? Supposedly they are easy to assemble.

Attractive or an eye sore?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #126
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
What is the feeling on the Steelmaster / Quonset hut style buildings? Supposedly they are easy to assemble.

Attractive or an eye sore?

I have a hut... it's like a giant oven. Re-sealing the roof regularly is important, too.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #127
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I know the owner of this company, and can vouch for their quality, and fair prices:

http://reedsmetals.com/

Look under "Metal Buildings". The Rigid-Frame buildings are the large red-iron structures. Really no need for something that big. The ones under "Econo & Agricultural Buildings" are more like you'd want. They're steel framed buildings, and they can do them up to 40'x40'. They're designed to go together with simple tools (no heavy machinery required), and are fairly straight forward. You can get them with bay doors, personnel doors, windows, skylights, and several different types of insulation. They come shipped in pieces, and they start cutting the metal for your order as soon as you place it (meaning it'll be on its way to you in a couple of weeks at most).

Would definitely be something to look at for a workshop. You could probably convert one for residential use if you really wanted to. They were running a special a few months back, a 30'x40' standard steel barn, for something like $9,500. Just keep an eye on their "specials" page...

...In fact, I could even hook you guys up with a bit of "insider trading". They have their "specials" when they buy out someone else's stock, giving them a surplus. I know when / what they buy, and what's going to go on special before it even hits the website.
cab591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #128
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Might keep that in mind Cab. Was just thinking yesterday that if I pursue one of my projects that I would need something like a 30x40 with a concrete floor.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #129
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Ecopods. Made in Canada out of 20 ft. ISO containers. That "porch" closes up to secure and protect the glass when in storage or transport.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #130
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
Now I like that last one!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #131
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
That CONEX one is awesome!

As for the metal buildings I mentioned, they don't have anything in Texas, but they've got plants in Lake Charles, LA and Benton, AR. Both would ship to Texas, but I don't really like the management at the Lake Charles location. The one in Arkansas is the newest, and doesn't have all the equipment or stock needed (yet), but they can get anything from the main plant in Mississippi in a day or two.
cab591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #132
PirateJohn OP
Banned

One of the rental companies brought a travel trailer out to the site, and I was looking at it and thinking that a rental company out here, dragging those things up and down all these dirt roads, probably has a pretty good idea of what holds up and what doesn't.

This particular trailer was a Gulfstream Innsbruck. Not particularly fancy looking but the interior is actually pretty nice. Three air conditioners, and hooks into both the 30amp circuit as well as the 50 amp circuit on their generator.

Two slideouts and two bedrooms at opposite ends of the trailer.

Gulfstream's web site brags about their construction and extensive insulation so this trailer seems appropriate for the hot climate out here.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #133
PirateJohn OP
Banned

I had a good conversation with a realtor who represents several properties at "The Fort". They have a variety of properties there - conventional houses, RV compatible places, some with apartments, some mobile homes, etc. I think that I have found some parcels of multiple lots that I can comfortably buy and build on that will lend themselves to what I think of as quality portable living for active folks.

Not the mini ranch that I was originally looking for but the development has an RV park, well-regarding inexpensive hotel, and resort amenities (golf course, hiking trails, mountain bike trails, 24 hour security, shootin' range, etc.) so there is scope for a small rider-friendly community, particularly if I can put together a couple of lots with multiple RV hookups.

Keep the major points in mind:

* 24 hour security, gated community (so it should be safe to leave bikes and trailers here)
* At least one bar, a likker store, and a couple of convenience stores in town (don't laugh, I am so tired of being in a dry Texas town and riding 22-30 miles to buy beer)
* Plenty of riders in the area
* 30 mikes from a border crossing
* western edge of the Hill Country so there are plenty of riding opportunities
* should be plenty of dirt roads nearby
* small town but on a main, divided highway so you aren't taking your life in your hands if you ride after dark
* deer, turkey, and other wildlife roam freely on the property
* Super WalMart and other shopping 30 miles away
* On the edge of the Eagle Ford Shale Field, so there are job opportunities for those of us that need to keep working
* 125 miles to San Antonio, a/k/a Civilization
* a legendary non-dealership BMW bike mechanic is 125 miles away in another small Texas town
* Like I mentioned earlier, "The Fort" has an RV park and a well regarded bargain-priced hotel so if I/we host an event that is beyond a couple of extra people there should be scope for extra lodging.

Stay tuned. I had thought that I would be released from the site that I am on last weekend so that I could go out and look at properties but at the moment it looks like I am stuck in the oil patch for at least another week or three.

Typical carport for RV's that people build here. Several of these have apartments and extra amenities for those of us that are full timers:

A possibility. There is another vacant lot next door:

Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #134
PirateJohn OP
Banned

Dutch commune made from shipping containers. Probably not what you expected ;)

Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #135
PirateJohn OP
Banned

More examples of minimalist living - http://www.dwell.com/post/slideshow/...le-call-home#1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: