User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
butchersong OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Raise seat height on crf230l/m?

Title pretty much says it all. Just got this recently and I think it's great as a first bike. I can deal with the low HP. I actually think it's pretty fun as-is but I'd like a little more room between pegs and seat... I haven't been able to find much in the way of options to add an inch or more to the front and rear of the bike. I have the crf230m and just use it for around town so I don't have any huge concerns about suspension... just want the height.

Appreciate any response

butchersong screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 10:44 AM
butchersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchersong View Post
Title pretty much says it all. Just got this recently and I think it's great as a first bike. I can deal with the low HP. I actually think it's pretty fun as-is but I'd like a little more room between pegs and seat... I haven't been able to find much in the way of options to add an inch or more to the front and rear of the bike. I have the crf230m and just use it for around town so I don't have any huge concerns about suspension... just want the height.

Appreciate any response
Sit further back on the seat.

Re-cover the seat with taller foam. Seat Concepts might have something, but google it to see if other mfrs have something.

If the rider footpeg brackets allow it, cut an inch or so out of them and weld them back together.

Lower the passenger pegs with drop brackets. I did this for my DR650SE. My passenger is more comfy on long rides, and I can use them when solo.

Bolt some touring pegs to the front of the frame/skid. Happy Trails sells some that are kind of a universal fit.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
butchersong OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Those are great tips thanks. My thoughts hadn't gone much further than modifying the seat. That's stuff I can do even if I can't easily swap out some stiffer springs and extend the front somehow.

Do you know if I can also swap out parts from like a crf230f or another model without too much trouble? I don't have much (any) experience with bikes but I was thinking some sort of suspension lift. Just not sure what you'd do up front to raise the bars or extend the forks. I've seen threads about 'BBR' suspension mods but nothing for the crf230l or m.
butchersong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchersong View Post
Those are great tips thanks. My thoughts hadn't gone much further than modifying the seat. That's stuff I can do even if I can't easily swap out some stiffer springs and extend the front somehow.

Do you know if I can also swap out parts from like a crf230f or another model without too much trouble? I don't have much (any) experience with bikes but I was thinking some sort of suspension lift. Just not sure what you'd do up front to raise the bars or extend the forks. I've seen threads about 'BBR' suspension mods but nothing for the crf230l or m.
I'm not sure on that, but my guess is that almost all the CRF230L parts can be swapped right on. Some L parts might take a bit more work than others, but they share the same frame and motor. CRF230F is different though. Some F stuff might swap on, but it's likely to be more work. Fill in your location in your profile and maybe check the Regionals forums for your location. There might be CRF owners close to you. You may also want to give your height, weight, and inseam.

Raising the bars should be easy. Get bar-risers or taller bars. You might have to adjust or re-route cables to accommodate the rise. Suspension parts tend to be a bit more work, but complete suspension swaps are not out of the question. If you want taller suspension, I'd look into stiffer springs and/or adding preload up front, then similar mods and/or raising links for the rear. You might even be able to do a complete fork swap.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote