User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #91
JDUBinCO
Mass Centralized

Oddometer: 50
I had a 84 200 and a 97 220
I hate the drum front brake on the 84 but it taught me to ride with momentum. and was rock solid reliable. More reliable than three xrs I rode with.

The 97 was a fantastic bike. It was way soft for me in the front but the engine was just awesome. 1st gear was so slow the xrs couldn't keep my slow pace up crazy hill climbs and 6th gear topped out at 70. I'd buy another. In fact, I've been looking for a great deal on another. Its the only bike that could pry me away from my xr400.

On more than 1 occasion with both bikes, riders on much bigger more powerful bikes complimented my ability to top hills they got stuck on or to lead the pack because the bike was just so smooth.
JDUBinCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #92
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,471
Dropped a deposit on my first today. 1997 KDX220R. Titled and plated.

Getting excited.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #93
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Dropped a deposit on my first today. 1997 KDX220R. Titled and plated.

Getting excited.
It's a good companion bike to the KLR....
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #94
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
I learned on a KLR last year! Loved that bike. I'd like to say this past week I finally think I started to get the 2 stroke clutch/throttle under control. I also have to cover the clutch when crossing ruts. For some reason they are really easy to whiskey throttle on when setting up moving to the outside of the beginning of a turn. Got my first harescramble this weekend.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #95
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Yep. I'll be racing enduros.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #96
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Yep. I'll be racing enduros.
You will have to show me a pic of how the plate is held on. I made a bracket, but lost the plate and bracket somewhere on a trail last week.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #97
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Speaking of Whiskey throttle,When I 1st got my kdx it was all snow out so the 1st real thaw I took it out in the backyard,I turned the throttle a quarter inch and almost wheelied it over.I shut the bike off and pushed it to the shed before I killed myself being it was my 1st bike,2 minutes later my mom opened the patio door and started yelling bout the noise and getting the neighbors teed off and then she yelled you better have had a helmet on.To this day I dont know if she sw me w out the helmet on or not but I was quite caught off guard.
I could swear my kdx had as much snot as my aprilia even tho the Ape has waaay more hp,I also Liked the snail adjusters on the kdx even my Exotic doesnt have them which is a bigg bummer.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #98
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
You will have to show me a pic of how the plate is held on. I made a bracket, but lost the plate and bracket somewhere on a trail last week.
It was held on by two sheet metal screws.

Took it off for the race yesterday.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #99
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Bump.

Did some trail miles this morning on the 220R. She's getting good and "broke in" at this point. Way easier to start, stalls less often, and handles all I can throw at her. My day was cut short when I realized that I had lost the end-bolt on my barkbuster. That's when I also realized my front wheel bearings are shot. Time for more maintenance.

Fun stuff.

Arkansas River overlook at Camp Gruber ORV 35.715764, -95.219246

PS- I already lost one license plate (last weekend) while riding in the Arkansas Ozark Mtns. Gotta make a more robust mounting frame and bolt it to the fender, I guess. Also thinking about welding up a little six-pack rack for the rear. The tool bag pictured above is simply bolted to the fender through 4 holes that were already there.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #100
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Nice, let me know how it goes! I changed out the front wheel bearings this past weekend but haven't had any time to ride trails lately. Always a busy time of the year. If I can get my house listed for sale, I will have more time after work to ride. My goal is to start riding trails after work once a week.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #101
KiwiMtnClmbr
Fresh!

Would you buy an '88 kdx 200 as a first?

Would you drop $500 on a 1988 kdx 200? It looks to be in pretty good shape, still runs and used infrequently but recently it seems. Looking to get my first woods bike, and hopefully plate it for some light enduro work... my only real moto experience to speak of is on my '02 ninja.

KiwiMtnClmbr screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:51 PM
KiwiMtnClmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #102
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
88 KDX decision

My KDX is a great machine for the woods! I got it back in 89 but I honestly haven't ridden many newer bikes in the woods, aside from the 2000 KX 100 I bought for my wife, so I really can't compare... I suspect if I rode a 5 year old KTM 200, I would fall in love, so I deliberately haven't done so!!!

If memory serves, 88 was the last year of the air-cooled engine; not sure if it had front and rear disks either. They seemed to be pretty reliable IMHO.

So long as you give it a once-over or have a mechanic check it out (your expense if you buy it, owners if you don't - but owner gets copy of report) and things are as expected for a bike that age. Understand that lots of things like seals, bearings can dry out or seize up, and many are fairly cheap / relatively easy to change if you have some tools and experience.

Check with your local dealer - in my area, many (big, brand names) will not service anything older than 10 years - with older bikes, I use smaller shops or independent shops if I can't DIY.

Parts for an 88 should still be available and there are lots of sites, knowledge around for KDXs. Check out Fredette Racing website as I have bought shock springs from them.

I don't know the market value for the KDX in your area, check blue book value (online) or ask a dealer for their opinion. $500 isn't a lot (?) to me, but understand that it may need at least another couple hundred bucks and some elbow grease to ensure it is mechanically sufficient. Work that eventuality into your budget/decision. The deeper you look into anything, the more it will cost because nothing is perfect and age compounds that....

There are more newer bikes for sale that might fit your bill and the added price should provide for less age-related things being wrong... But it does depend on the previous owner and how well they cared for their bike! Each case is different and 'caveat emptor' - buyer beware!

Hope this helps, good luck and please update your decision!

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #103
KiwiMtnClmbr
Fresh!

Bluhduh :-(

Hockey God you are a true gent for taking the time to share all that with me/us. I was so stoked to go back and check the bike again with my new expertise. Life however has conspired against me. I had a very sobering get off in a construction zone yesterday evening on a local county road that put me in the ER and my bike in the hands of a Neanderthal (my wife's words!) with a tow truck.

I'm not sure how long it will be until I can ride again and equally importantly I now need to replace my commuter. I think there are some dual sports which could fit the bill but the KDX dream might have to wait a while. stay safe and wear your gear!

KiwiMtnClmbr screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 12:47 PM Reason: I'm on percocet...
KiwiMtnClmbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #104
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Eek Oh oh...

Kiwi,

Oh no, I hope you are doing ok given the circumstances! Sounds like your daily commuter might not be fixable, so you will be soon be shopping for a new bike. I hope the thought of a newer ride (even if its not a KDX) cheers you up through the tough times. Get well!

PS I am an ATGATT kind of guy, thanks to my moms regular insistence when growing up!

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #105
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
So waiting for my 2014 KTM 350EXC-F I bought a brand new 2004 KDX 220R only two tanks of fuel run through it. Not a scratch on it yet.