Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #31
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
A little help getting it up..

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=781952&page=2

This is a conversation about using haul systems to lift a bike.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #32
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdan View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=781952&page=2

This is a conversation about using haul systems to lift a bike.
Excellent post. I'm one of the ones that goes out by himself and up to now (knock wood) hasn't found himself in a critical self-rescue situation. The beautiful thing about being on a bike rather than on foot is that the weight and space penalties for the gear that you describe is pretty much negligible.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #33
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I picked up my 950 adventure with a dislocated left shoulder...popped back on during the lift. I yelled allot of bad things at that very moment...
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
I picked up my 950 adventure with a dislocated left shoulder...popped back on during the lift. I yelled allot of bad things at that very moment...
Now that's adventure riding!
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post

I'd be trying to spin the bike on the foot peg, thus while losing some downhill on the rear getting some uphill back on the front. Would be best if the handlebars are clear of the ground to do this, so rotate them. At the end of the spin I'd get the rear a little lower than the front so the bike is pointed a little uphill. You don't want to try starting to go directly up the hill, just across the hill to get back on the road.
Lift from the high side of the hill, get the bike seat to rest on your hip/thigh. Don't try to get it to balance point as if you go over the bike could end up a lot further down the hill with more damage. You may not even feel safe trying to get back on, just walk the bike across the hill back to the road... not great globs of power just a little .. no wheel spins .. just roll.

Probably best if you sit and think about it .. rather than rush in with the adrenaline? Same with any problem.
+1....great advise. Just be easy on the throttle and use the clutch to feed in the power.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Sometimes just taking a rest and assessing the situation helps a lot. Carrying a *good* ratchet strap may be a good idea too. I have "winched" a sled up onto my trailer using one of my motorcycle tie-down straps. Don't use one of the cheap 1" flimsy straps... get a good quality 1.5" or 2" wide strap. Some extra webbing to extend the length may be helpful as well.

Riding with someone else would also probably be a good idea. The 2 times I have been down (hard) I have ended up with some part of my body pinned under the bike. Both times - the people I was riding with lifted the bike off me. I'd *like* to say I could have gotten out from under it by myself on both occasions, but I don't know that for sure...
Old 03-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #37
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Like that strap idea, any thing for some leverage.
Stopped my DR650 on the shoulder of the road it gave way under my right foot sending me and the bike over on the right side, bike landed with wheels up to the road bed and handle bars down in the waist deep ditch with the right foot peg dug in to dirt. Standing in half knee deep muck, I couldn't lift the bike up right. Finally was able to get the handle bars turned then crawled down in the muck to get a shoulder under the bars and fought for every inch to get it back up. Wasn't past the tipping it up point and a older couple stopped and the gentleman helped me set it up. I was exhausted when they stopped don't think I could have finish with out his help.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #38
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
I cheat by using mechanical advantage in the form of som tubular nylon strap and 2 or more anchor shackles.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #39
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
The difference between humans and dumb animals is that humans use tools.

I carry a length of seatbelt webbing with D-rings sewn into one end, with that looped over my shoulder I can deadlift my bike - I can't otherwise. That's about the size of a packet of ciggies rolled up.
It'd also make it a lot easier to drag it around - though fortunately, that's untested.

A ratchet strap would likely give you that option, as well as being able to tie it round a tree and ratchet the bike around.

Sorry guys, brute strength is the dumb option here, look for options which use smarts and simple tools, not strength.

Pete
would you have a photo of that contraption? sounds like a plan for me. I simply cannot lift my KTM 950. When I posted a similar thread on UK KTM all I got was abuse!
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #40
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerdave View Post
It happened to me.. I have started riding trails after over 25 years of just street,I bought a xr650l to ride,first time out I fell over and had to drag this thing to find a hill to get the wheel down hill to pick it up..I am 71 years old and should be home in a chair but the urge hit me to ride some dual sport stuff and my wife said I didn't have to justify another bike..She said a man my age should be able to do what he wants.. Got to love her for that
good on you. I am 72 (no wonder (I cant lift my KTM950A). Bon courage!
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #41
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I cheat by using mechanical advantage in the form of som tubular nylon strap and 2 or more anchor shackles.

Nice and simple, I like it. Not sure how much force is being lost though. It's a 2:1 system and flat webbing sliding across a non rolling surface has to require a fair bit of effort.

Dan
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Nice and simple, I like it. Not sure how much force is being lost though. It's a 2:1 system and flat webbing sliding across a non rolling surface has to require a fair bit of effort.

Dan
If you want to reduce that friction loss then
rotate the D shackles in the photo 180 degrees - so the webbing slides on the flat bolt surface rather than the curve.
Get some metal tubing that goes over the shackle bolt ... now what ever have the less friction will rotate. (Problem - the webbing will tend to go to one side ...)

-----------------------
The use of this pulley system assumes that you have something to anchor too. If you don't have one of those you are back to a dead lift.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #43
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,716
about 5 years ago i did my back picking up my GS1100, the pain was so bad i ended up going to a hospital. woke up five days later my back was great, but in the mine time i had a stroke (the doctor was a quack) I couldn't remember my name. so be very careful when you pick up your bike, don't be in a hurry like i was.
Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #44
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:

Dan
try it.

Easy enough to add another shackle if you need more purchase. I carry a 25' length and a 10' length.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #45
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
For the bike lifting part........ there is a thread in here on bike jacks for this purpose and similar. A search actually turns up quiet a few threads on this topic actually.

Jack thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400891

Coachgeo screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 05:12 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote