Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #4231
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Do you have a service manual ?
There is testing procedures for the cdi in the manual, but you will also need an ohm meter.

Also don't forget about the pickup coil, that is under the left cover with the stator.It gives the cdi the pulse signal so the cdi knows when to pulse the power to the coil.

There are 2 coil wires.One should be ground, and the other comes from the cdi and should pulse 12 volts on and off when you crank the bike.
If you have an automotive test light you should be able to see it blink.

You can also test the resistance of the pickup coil.
I was under the impression that those diagnostic procedures for the cdi always come back out of spec. Therefore, I didn't figure it was a viable test.

I have a local KLR inmate that I'm pleading to come by on Monday for some testing. Probably source a ohmmeter for the cdi test and rig up a light anyhow.

Quote:
When you crank the bike does your tachometer needle on your dash work ?
Because the wire from the cdi that pulses the coil also feeds the tach signal, so if your tach is working when your cranking you more than likely are getting your 12 volt pulse at the coil.
No gauges.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #4232
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
DD, There is a walk through on www.klr650.marknet.us that might answer some questions for you. I cant remember how I jumpered mine either....
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #4233
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
DD, There is a walk through on www.klr650.marknet.us that might answer some questions for you. I cant remember how I jumpered mine either....
One of the first places I went. That writeup is insufficient.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #4234
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
When you crank the bike does your tachometer needle on your dash work ?
Because the wire from the cdi that pulses the coil also feeds the tach signal, so if your tach is working when your cranking you more than likely are getting your 12 volt pulse at the coil.
DirtyDog has a GENERATION 1 KLR650, GAS GUY, with a CDI igntion. The primary ignition coil windings of the Generation 1 bikes are pulsed with considerably more voltage than the 12 volts you suggest.

The Generation 1 CDI's are powered from alternating current from the stator exciter coil; this AC is stepped up to maybe 100 volts or so inside the CDI (the "igniter" component), this voltage is rectified, and used to charge a capacitor.

When the timing mass on the rotor passes proximate to the pickup coil, a thyristor discharges the capacitor's 100 or so volts through the ignition coil's primary windings; this voltage is transformed many times higher by induction through the ignition coil's secondary windings, firing the spark plug.

The Generation 2 ignition, by contrast, saturates the ignition coil primary windings with 12 VDC; interruption of this current induces a high voltage in the igntion coil secondary windings from the collaps of the electromagnetic field created by the saturation.

More simply put, Generation 1 KLRs have Capacitive Discharge Ignitions; Generation 2 KLRs have Inductive Discharge Ignitions, "fully-transistorized breakerless ignitions," as Kawasaki marketing prose would have it.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 AM   #4235
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
DirtyDog has a GENERATION 1 KLR650, GAS GUY, with a CDI igntion. The primary ignition coil windings of the Generation 1 bikes are pulsed with considerably more voltage than the 12 volts you suggest.

The Generation 1 CDI's are powered from alternating current from the stator exciter coil; this AC is stepped up to maybe 100 volts or so inside the CDI (the "igniter" component), this voltage is rectified, and used to charge a capacitor.

When the timing mass on the rotor passes proximate to the pickup coil, a thyristor discharges the capacitor's 100 or so volts through the ignition coil's primary windings; this voltage is transformed many times higher by induction through the ignition coil's secondary windings, firing the spark plug.

The Generation 2 ignition, by contrast, saturates the ignition coil primary windings with 12 VDC; interruption of this current induces a high voltage in the igntion coil secondary windings from the collaps of the electromagnetic field created by the saturation.

More simply put, Generation 1 KLRs have Capacitive Discharge Ignitions; Generation 2 KLRs have Inductive Discharge Ignitions, "fully-transistorized breakerless ignitions," as Kawasaki marketing prose would have it.

Thanks for the clarification on the cdi.I have never had to actually test one and assumed they were like other recent automotive systems.
I had no idea that kind of voltage was sent to the coil.

I'm looking at a Gen 1 wiring diagram in a Clymer manual and that same black wire that goes from the Cdi to the coil also splices off and goes to the tach.

So the tach gets 100 volts ?

And if it does, wouldn't DD's tach read while cranking, if he is in fact getting the make and break signal at the coil from the cdi ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #4236
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Talk about feeling like a dumbass! It took me 5 minutes to figure out I was in gear because it wouldn't start. Horn worked. Light worked. Brain didn't. Must be used to a kickstarter. FNG alert!
franklinmanklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #4237
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

I got an '09. Does the steering lock? If so then how do you do it?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #4238
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Is this bent too much and is it old school? I read the new ones are more stout.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #4239
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinmanklin View Post
I got an '09. Does the steering lock? If so then how do you do it?
Turn the handlebars all the way to the left, then turn the ignition key to the left and it will go to the lock position and simply pull the key out. I have noticed that some bikes don't lock at the full left postition so in that case, turn the the handlebars left and try turning the key left, then slightly move the handlebars to the right. It shouldn't take much. I always lock my 09. It is a good habit to do.
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #4240
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
My latest addition, a highway dirtbikes guard setup. Going to modify the dash quite a bit, and working with Paul on some mods to the top clamp.

I love them. Top notch product.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #4241
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
franklinmanklin,

Yeah, it is. If that piece were straight it would take a pretty good side hit and still give support. Since it is has that bend to it any side force will just cause it to push back allowing the crashbar to cave in on the side of the bike.

If you replaced it with just a straight piece of 1/8th inch thick by one inch steel bar it would be stronger, but if you were to use a piece of similar sized steel angle iron (1/8th inch thick by one inch legs) it would be WAY stronger still.

The extra leg would give it a LOT more lateral support and even help keep it from flexing at all.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #4242
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

Good to know. I recently bought an '08 engine bottom end... have an '06 bottom end too, and was looking at building up a 2nd mildly hopped up (685 kit + mildly ported head) engine to stuff in my '92. I have a spare Electrix UK brand high output stator (and matching regulator) I acquired - are you saying that the '08 and up OEM stators won't work with pre '08 CDI and coil setup?

If so, can a pre '08 stator be installed in an '08 and up left side case? Anyone know?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #4243
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
Turn the handlebars all the way to the left, then turn the ignition key to the left and it will go to the lock position and simply pull the key out. I have noticed that some bikes don't lock at the full left postition so in that case, turn the the handlebars left and try turning the key left, then slightly move the handlebars to the right. It shouldn't take much. I always lock my 09. It is a good habit to do.
I couldn't get mine to work.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #4244
franklinmanklin
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
franklinmanklin,

Yeah, it is. If that piece were straight it would take a pretty good side hit and still give support. Since it is has that bend to it any side force will just cause it to push back allowing the crashbar to cave in on the side of the bike.

If you replaced it with just a straight piece of 1/8th inch thick by one inch steel bar it would be stronger, but if you were to use a piece of similar sized steel angle iron (1/8th inch thick by one inch legs) it would be WAY stronger still.

The extra leg would give it a LOT more lateral support and even help keep it from flexing at all.
I guess I will have to beef it up, thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #4245
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,386
Stinky151
I dig that set up, nice and tight, clean looking too, that is as cool as cornflakes, i am sure you have $$ in it.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote