ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #346
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
My 62's feelings must have been hurt after that last post as this picture is from the ride I took just after that post:

The begining of that trail starts right here:

As I usually do I reset the trip computer at this point: trip odometer, max, average speed etc.
It does things like this from time to time whereas my 60 never did this... almost like the 62 needs a remedial math course!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #347
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestragon View Post
I'd be reluctant to say that the 62 is that much more fragile and don't have the impression that the screen is less scratch-resistant, speaking from my own experience at least.

About a year ago my 62s had broken and I also had a broken 60 laying around as well. (The 60 had served me many hard years and I just didn't throw it away when I got the 62 which I killed by riding with it the micro USB connected in the rain cuz I hadn't read Embeeddee's warning yet! )

I found out when I was sending the 62 in to get "worked on" that they weren't really going to work on it but send me a refurbished one and thus it didn't really matter how broken it was when I sent it in. They also said they could do the same with my 60 while I was sending the 62 in.

I had only suspected the 62 screen scratched easier as my 60 went several years with no scratches and only was scratched by something pretty traumatic (a great story in itself). The 62 got scratched the first week and kept getting scratches. Since I was sending them both in AND I realized it didn't really matter how broke they were; they weren't really FIXING my units I decided to do a little unscientific scratch test side by side.
On the Moh's scale of hardness I'd say the 60's a full point harder... and yet never cracked.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #348
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
As I usually do I reset the trip computer at this point: trip odometer, max, average speed etc.
It does things like this from time to time whereas my 60 never did this... almost like the 62 needs a remedial math course!
What's the 62 supposed to have done here? It didn't reset? Or you reset after this?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #349
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

This wasn't obvious from the picture, but from having done it many times I had traveled about 9 KM from where I did reset the computer NOT 14.2 KM as the computer says; I was about 5KM from where I reset the picture by the way the crow flies.

What you can see in the picture is that my max speed after I reset the computer was 31.7 KM per hour. (Probably correct - I was trying to hussle but those are some hard core trails.)

What's not possible is that although the Max speed I ever hit it that 30 minutes or so was 31.7 KM an hour I was miraculously able to maintain a moving average of 50.4 miles an hour! And I even had a overall average significantly higher than my max speed!

You do know the Baja or Parris-Dakar boys would kill for those kind of numbers!

You can't see this either but I also was not where I was really at on the map; I'll just call that the occasional twilight zone syndrome on my 62. Usually when the map has me not where I'm at you'll see crazy impossible #'s like this on the screen.
Not really a problem when I know where I am. (Though yesterday I was bummed as I did want to know what my real overall average was to this point.)
Is it dangerous though with out a back up if I really were in uncharted territory which I common am in.

FWIW The 62 does not do this to me very often; but it is a good reminder to have a back up in hard places. Since I got this one back refurbished about 10 months ago I'm going to guess this was only the 5th incident and I use it 6 days a week.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #350
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
It makes all speed calculations based on where it think it moved to. If it gets position wrong, speed will be wrong.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #351
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,435
Just bought a new laptop. An asus q200. Whenever I plug my garmin 62 in to move stuff around on basecamp the screen goes dims it loads tracks and everything to 1% and shuts off. What is causing this? What can I do?

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #352
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,435
NVM figured it out. Needed to switch to usb mode.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #353
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,874
just picked one of these up (62s) off Craigslist for $200 BNIB.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #354
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
just picked one of these up (62s) off Craigslist for $200 BNIB.
For other buyers, the 78 is normally $200 new at WestMarine and it has 12v power input.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #355
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
For other buyers, the 78 is normally $200 new at WestMarine and it has 12v power input.
Not the S model, but the 78 is a bargain anyway.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #356
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not the S model, but the 78 is a bargain anyway.
what is the "S" same as 60/76 or also camera?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #357
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
what is the "S" same as 60/76 or also camera?
The S model has the barometric altimeter, electronic compass, wireless file transfer and a couple of other extras. The SC model has the camera.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #358
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
The "C" in 78sc denotes that it comes with US Coastal chart chip, not camera. 76--- & 78--- are marketed primarily as marine units by Garmin.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #359
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
The "C" in 78sc denotes that it comes with US Coastal chart chip, not camera. 76--- & 78--- are marketed primarily as marine units by Garmin.
You're right. The 78SC has coastal maps. The 62SC has a camera. Too bad Garmin named the different models the same way, which I'm sure is confusing to some.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #360
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Too bad Garmin named the different models the same way, which I'm sure is confusing to some.
'tis the Garmin way? Like dropping good features and totally changing menus. Too bad for sure.