Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 863 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #29296
BOBaloo22
RIP Baby Girl

Oddometer: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Shot the two .40's today side by side.

But firing the FNS-40 against the PX4 Storm [both same size barrels, etc.] was interesting. The FN almost seems to stick to your hands, the texture of the grip is so aggressive - the PX4 seems almost slippery by comparison.

I feel the same way about the Storm, I changed backstraps but I wish it had a little more grip. I was thinking about the stick on type grippy things but don't know how I would feel about a "sticker" on my gun. I got one of those slip on rubber grips to try but it just wasn't right.

Bob
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #29297
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBaloo22 View Post
I feel the same way about the Storm, I changed backstraps but I wish it had a little more grip. I was thinking about the stick on type grippy things but don't know how I would feel about a "sticker" on my gun. I got one of those slip on rubber grips to try but it just wasn't right.

Bob
Interesting. I don't actually feel like there's an issue, but only by contrast did I even notice it.

And the FN Five seveN is not as agressive as the FNS either.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #29298
fishwich
El Borbah

Oddometer: 1,647
My Win 94 .25-35
My great uncle bought it shortly after WWII and has been owned by various family members ever since. Ive had it for nearly 20 years.
Its definitely taken some licks over time but its a nice shooter. Light weight and low recoil.

fishwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #29299
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
I see remarks about some of you getting carry guns for your wives. Obvious question. What makes you guys think they need to carry sidearms? If these women can't operate the slide, or don't like the kick....should they carrying at all? What about a smallish revolver? Not as "Gucci" as a nice slick semi...but way more reliable. No slide. Not much kick. These women would be far better served by a .22 that they can handle, than a 9mm that they can't. Pull out ANY gun and most perps with even 1/8 of a brain are backing off. They only know it's a GUN! Bottom line. Lets just pray they never need to use it.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #29300
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

I pity the guy who accosts my wife. Ever seen what happens to someone when an Elephant takes 'em out? She does not need a firearm. Poor bastard...

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #29301
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwich View Post
My Win 94 .25-35
My great uncle bought it shortly after WWII and has been owned by various family members ever since. Ive had it for nearly 20 years.
Its definitely taken some licks over time but its a nice shooter. Light weight and low recoil.
Aw, that's pretty. Nice older ammo box too.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #29302
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I pity the guy who accosts my wife. Ever seen what happens to someone when an Elephant takes 'em out? She does not need a firearm. Poor bastard...
If she sees this post, you're pretty much fucked then! LOL!!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #29303
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
My Win 94 .25-35

Most impressive. I love rifles with a story.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #29304
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,858
Quote:
My Win 94 .25-35

My dad has my grandpa's M94 made in '39. That .32 Win Spl has taken quite a few deer, and will blow up water filled milk jugs all day at 100 yards plus a few with open sights. Dad's looks nearly like the day it was bought.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #29305
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I see remarks about some of you getting carry guns for your wives. Obvious question. What makes you guys think they need to carry sidearms?
It was her decision, not mine. MrsDonkeys likes to shoot, and feels safer carrying a gun. I venture to say she can shoot better than most guys on this forum.

She sees a gun, she likes a gun, but she won't buy it for herself because she feels guilty spending money on herself. So I buy it for her when she least expects it.

I'm the same way with motorcycles. I feel guilty buying motos, so she buys them for me.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #29306
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

My rule of thumb for the Kimber is simple. I buy a box of 20rds. That feeds an 8rd mag, a 6rd mag, and one in the chamber, leaving me five rounds in the box. Those five remaining rounds get shot first. If they work well, the remaining 15 rounds get loaded. After about two months, those 15 rds get shot off, along with the first 5 rounds of the box that is replacing them.

I carry when I run, ride, drive, and everywhere in between. Ammo doesn't keep forever, so I don't like to keep it in my carry gun for long periods of time. The cycle ensures I have safe, functioning ammo, while keeping me in practice with what I depend on instead of what is cheapest at the store.
I have a little bit different approach, especially for firearms I may use for self-defense: if there are no recommendations against a particular type/brand or ammo. Then I get a number of different brands, projectile weights, brands and power levels. Using those I find out what works and what doesn't.

If the gun works with enough ammo to be satisfactory then I keep it, otherwise I move on. What is enough? It depends on the gun; I had expected the Galil clone to work with US ball ammo. When it didn't (FTE about every other mag) I decided to sell it. If a stock Glock didn't work with most ammo I would probably return it for warranty/exchange. If I had a Kimber Solo or something like a Rohrbaugh then I would accept that there are some kinds/brands of ammo that they might not like - the purpose of these handguns being a backup or pocket pistol, the purpose of the Glock or AK being something that was a primary defensive arm and that should work with almost anything due to their design, purpose and reputation for reliability.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #29307
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSeaOne View Post
I love these guns. There are many like them but these are mine. Bring on the zombies.

GA Precision FBI HRT, w/Schmidt & Bender PM-II 5x25X-7.62 NATO
GA Precision GAP-10, w/Premier 5X25 tactical-7.62 NATO

Barrett 98 Bravo, w/US Optics 3.2-17X-338 Lapua Magnum
PWS MK-214, various optics - 7.62 NATO
PWS MK-114, various optics - 5.56 NATO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dammit. These are my latest obsession. No, I have no reason to justify them. No, I don't really have a great place to shoot them. No, I certainly don't have the large pile of $$$ needed to add them to the collection, but I just need to have them. Those two would work perfectly. If you need the space in your safe, I promise I'll keep them nice and comfy here with me.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #29308
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
My Win 94 .25-35

Wow, that is absolutely stunning.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #29309
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Some holsters I've made for friends and a few "customers". It's addicting....

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #29310
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
Some holsters I've made for friends and a few "customers". It's addicting....

I need to learn how to make stuff like that... Way cool.

sent from my abacus.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: