Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #8506
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Ah, the famous doo....or why i bought a DR instead of a KLR. Kawasaki still hasn't got that issue sorted out on their new KLRs?
Lyle
Seems the famous 'doo was fixed in '08 - however the spring still causes trouble.

I know in my experience the early 'doo has a 100% failure rate - I've inspected ONE, and found it to have a broken spring!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #8507
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Seems the famous 'doo was fixed in '08 - however the spring still causes trouble.

I know in my experience the early 'doo has a 100% failure rate - I've inspected ONE, and found it to have a broken spring!
Ha ha yes, in that case I am at 30%., I have been part of three and one was bad (my '06). Both the doo and the spring were in pieces. Still parts of it floating somewhere In that bike. I am suspecting they will be in the oil screen so plan to open that side up and clean it out. I am also considering taking my doo side apart again and putting in the other type of spring. I know, should have done it right the first time, but not smart enough I suppose.

As far as kawasaki figuring it out, the doo was upgraded in'08 and from what I have read the failure rate is now almost nil.

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #8508
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Ha ha yes, in that case I am at 30%., I have been part of three and one was bad (my '06). Both the doo and the spring were in pieces. Still parts of it floating somewhere In that bike. I am suspecting they will be in the oil screen so plan to open that side up and clean it out. I am also considering taking my doo side apart again and putting in the other type of spring. I know, should have done it right the first time, but not smart enough I suppose.

As far as kawasaki figuring it out, the doo was upgraded in'08 and from what I have read the failure rate is now almost nil.
The doo was upgraded in the 08' model but the spring loosens off and doesn't do anything before 10,000kms. I changed the doo in my 09' at 10,000kms and the spring was totally slack and wasn't doing anything! I put in the new doo, just because and also put the torsion spring in as well. With the torsion spring you only have to take off the cover and not the second section as you can pry out the old spring and the new torsion one goes with the doo. Now, I can't tell you the reasoning behind the way Kawi makes the system, nor can I tell you if it really matters in the newer models but doesn't seem to make things worse by changing it

Also, we found on just the 08's and a couple of early made 09's that the whole on the inside of the cover that holds the gear, is too deep and may cause the gear shaft to back off enough to let the gear bind or cause damage. Deep hole syndrome, I think they called it. Putting a spacer in the bottom of the hole solved that problem. My 09' never had that problem.
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #8509
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
The doo upgrade is an easy job. Not a valid reason to shy away from the KLR. After 40,000km it should be looked at again. Same as the valve clearance.
The Eagle mike spring may need to be shortened or swapped out for the new torsion style. These torsion style doo springs have broken too so every now and again it should be opened up for a quick look.
At least the DR has no Doo but then again it hasn't got a gas tank either.

Hi-vis ! Way to go getting your bike out Whys. The hi vis will give you a bit of space. I notice drivers give me a bit more room when I plastered my helmet with blaze orange duct tape. Hope Brian is healing up.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #8510
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I notice drivers give me a bit more room when I plastered my helmet with blaze orange duct tape.
Ya, cause their thinking...crazy Gringo

Are you on your way back north yet Hekto? Man I wish I could spend a winter down south like that! Have a safe trip back! Spring is off to a slow start...but at least it's a start!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #8511
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Looks like we will miss the NWO rally.

Everyone up there is riding. We have had our bikes parked for several days now as we plan to go further south by the looks of things. No sense turning back now eh. Go big or go home. If the doors open up for us that means we were meant to ride
Actually I had the taped up helmet for the crazy traffic out west a few years ago. I peeled it off at the Manitoba border. Down here we ride pretty cautious. Missing manhole covers are quiet common for example. Use the horn a lot, sometimes flash the hi-beam.
It's pretty intense.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 03:15 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #8512
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Great stuff Hekto!! Your right, no point in heading back now...I guarantee official spring ridding, dualsport for sure, won't be for another month
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #8513
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 600

Wooly Mammoth in St. Adolphe ! You can sure hit some interesting locales in this frozen province...(tongue planted firmly in cheek after looking at Hekto's adventures...Nonetheless, 'twas a beautiful day for a ride...surprised I did not see any other winterpeggers on 2 wheels!!!

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2

Whyswoman screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 04:29 PM
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #8514
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post

Wooly Mammoth in St. Adolph's! You can sure hit some interesting locales in this frozen province...'teas a beautiful day for a ride...surprised I did not see any other winterpeggers on 2 wheels!!!
Good on you Lee, I would have liked to joined you today, however I am fighting off a nasty cold....

Did you test out the new jacket?
2011 BMW R1200GS Triple Black FOR SALE, 1983 Yamaha RZ350 SOLD, 1978 Yamaha XS650 SE,1967 Honda CD125, 2007 Kawasaki Super Sherpa FOR SALE, 2006 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 2004 Yamaha BWS, 1980 Honda C70 Cub.
BackRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #8515
Whyswoman
The Gal's Gotta 'Yak

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Good on you Lee, I would have liked to joined you today, however I am fighting off a nasty cold....

Did you test out the new jacket?
Sorry to hear you are under the weather, Gramps...HOpe you get better before your grandson arrives...

I did indeed test out the jacket and riding pants, as well as the new noise cancelling headphones Brian purchased for me...Everything worked perfectly, and I no longer look like a dumpster-diver on wheels...

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...B7MsmZi3RGt4c2
Whyswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #8516
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
You go girl!

Just got back from Moose Jaw. Picked up a 2008 KLR engine bottom end (complete!) I bought thru AB Kijiji. A buddy from Edmonton picked it up for me and I met him there in MJ. Is there ever a lot more snowpack out further west! If you think spring is slow in coming here... Warming up tho - I'll be out riding.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #8517
stubblejumper

Oddometer: 204
Cycle World

Quote:
I think Kawasaki has it figured out. It is paranoid owners that do not. I think for the numbers of KLRs out there the actual failure rate on the 'doo is pretty low.

Cycle World did a "What bike would you choose in case of the end of the world" adventure bike comparison test with 5 bikes and guess who won?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29.../?src=facebook
Yep, read that also. Feels good to own a Klr. Always has.
`11 Ram SLT Hemi 4x4
stubblejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #8518
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
I think Kawasaki has it figured out. It is paranoid owners that do not. I think for the numbers of KLRs out there the actual failure rate on the 'doo is pretty low.

Cycle World did a "What bike would you choose in case of the end of the world" adventure bike comparison test with 5 bikes and guess who won?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/03/29.../?src=facebook
Great article (bought the mag)!

Re KLR doohickey failures, I watch Alberta Kijiji quite closely and have seen several parted out engines for sale there due to broken balancer (or cam chain!) system failures. More than a few ruined heads with scored cam bearing caps too. Can't argue that the actual failure rate may be low overall, but there's no shortage of pics on-line of KLR engine failures, here on ADV, and the "other" KLR website too. Doing the "doo" is just smart preventive maintenance IMO, taking care of one possible failure possibility. Maybe a guy gets lucky and owns one that goes the distance without issues (may we all be so lucky).
Old 03-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #8519
PiffleMaster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:

I do not think the "Doo" failures are overrated.

I've been involved in checking 14 "Doo's" in the past four years..
Three 2008+ "Doos" had zero tension springs, while two 2008+ had broken "Doo" springs. Of the older pre 2008 models, one had a broken spring and one had a broken "Doo". Let's see.. That's 7 out of 14... Failed.
While the new "Doo" may not fail, the spring failure or loss of tension may eventually be just as damaging.
If the tensioner doesn't do what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it, you'll probably end up spending a crapload of money when the "Spring" (or broken Doo) gets mangled in the other running bits of the engine.

Ask Backroader how much his "Doo" cost him when it failed....
Ignore, scoff or dismiss at your peril.

Oh, and don't bother to check the oil level while you're at it.

Cheers, B

PS. This isn't a shot at Dryden_Rider_54, this is backup for what he's saying.

PiffleMaster screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 09:37 PM
PiffleMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #8520
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post

Wooly Mammoth in St. Adolphe ! You can sure hit some interesting locales in this frozen province...(tongue planted firmly in cheek after looking at Hekto's adventures...Nonetheless, 'twas a beautiful day for a ride...surprised I did not see any other winterpeggers on 2 wheels!!!

Nice job! I'm envious!