User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #61
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,170
Smells

For me, I remember the smells of camping more than anything. That of moth balls, because that's the smell our sleeping bags took on while in the closet for 364 days a year. And the smell of a tent that wasn't dried out properly the year before.

(Warning Tangent)
I'm definitely a gear-dork but I dropped my subscription to Backpacker magazine because the whole thing seemed to be one big advertisement. Even the magazine's trail reviews threw in product placement ads for titanium sporks, season specific hiking boots, scandals, flash lights, pocket knifes, sun glasses and coffee mugs. I mean, how DID we ever get by without a thermarest chair, titanium hiking poles, Bear Grylls cargo pants and Mountain House cheese cobler! *gasp* You might as well stay home without those bare essentials.

Ok, the thermarest chair is pretty handy...

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 01:58 AM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #62
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,387
Roast Stuffed coon anyone??? Or possum maybe???

Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #63
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Roast Stuffed coon anyone??? Or possum maybe???

I have this book, and the camper's bible. My dad gave them to
me a couple years ago, along with a bunch of other camping books
and Backpacker magazine article reprints. I look through them now
and then just for nostalgia's sake.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #64
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen View Post
When we were stationed in Italy the first thing my dad did was buy an old VW van and a pile of surplus camping gear and off we went. We camped all over Europe, spent summers set up at the beach, camped so far up in the alps that we woke to snow in August, and learned that zipping up the tent tightly is important when camping on the beach in Greece... otherwise the little sand crabs will pinch your toes when they invade the tent.
Good memories. Similar story but based out of Germany in the early 70s. Dad signed gear out from supply, packed up the little stationwagon an we took off. Sight see all day, find a camp ground, set up, eat, sleep, pack up... repeat. Three summers in a row for a month at a time. It was great!!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #65
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by _anatic View Post
Good memories. Similar story but based out of Germany in the early 70s. Dad signed gear out from supply, packed up the little stationwagon an we took off. Sight see all day, find a camp ground, set up, eat, sleep, pack up... repeat. Three summers in a row for a month at a time. It was great!!
We were some very lucky kids.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #66
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,689
I don't miss Canvas tents at all.

And I really don't get those that pine for the "old times" of camping. Yes, people can and do go way overboard on gear, but without them who would we laugh at?
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #67
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
(Warning Tangent)
I'm definitely a gear-dork but I dropped my subscription to Backpacker magazine because the whole thing seemed to be one big advertisement. Even the magazine's trail reviews threw in product placement ads for titanium sporks, season specific hiking boots, scandals, flash lights, pocket knifes, sun glasses and coffee mugs. I mean, how DID we ever get by without a thermarest chair, titanium hiking poles, Bear Grylls cargo pants and Mountain House cheese cobler! *gasp* You might as well stay home without those bare essentials.

Ok, the thermarest chair is pretty handy...
When I started backpacking as a youth, I bought Colin Fletchers' "The Complete Walker", and to be honest, I pretty much adopted his viewpoint, up to a certain point - alot of what he used I never, in Colorado, needed. Then I went to CA and needed even less. BUT, what was important about his book was not just the equipment, it was the how and the way, and even better, a good dose of what the point of walking was about in the first place - that is seeing wild places.

I have all four editions of that book now - my first edition and the fourth are right next to each other here at my elbow. One of my few regrets is that I never got to meet Colin Fletcher, but he was a known recluse, he had few friends and lived in a secret location. I'm sure that I was not the only person whose life was changed by his books.

I miss the innocent days when I was a teen and we went without a tent, I used to have a Pendelton shirt, a down vest, a poncho, a hat and leather work gloves. An open cell foam shorty pad. And that pack, fully loaded weighed next to nothing: No stove, no water filter, no GPS, A camera yes, no bearproof food box. Paper maps.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #68
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post

What do YOU remember about camping when . . .
Freezing my ass off when sleeping in a cotton sleeping bag in a wet Army Surplus tent. I'm with WW, fuck that shit. Give me a Thermarest, an EMS down sleeping bag, and a Marmot/TNF tent or get me a hotel.

And there better be espresso in the morning.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #69
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,820
Quote:

In 1960 my dad went on sabbatical to Europe and we took a steamship from Montreal to Rotterdam, then a train to Stuttgart and picked up a brand new Westfalia 21 Window Combi. Camped all over Europe 5 months, worked in Paris 9 more, then shipped the bus home. Road-tripped it down the East Coast to visit relatives in AR, then cross country to Las Vegas, then home. Did 3 consecutive summers in it, culminating in a trip from the Seattle Worlds Fair to the San Diego Zoo, then home to UT.

THAT was camping.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #70
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,045
Good stuff!

I remember camping at the beach near Venice every summer, we made friends with a German family even though we couldn't speak each others language. Our moms would swap canned goods and we'd make fun mystery suppers out of them since we had no idea what was in the cans. Our dads would sit by the fire smoking each others brands of cigs while valiantly trying to have some form of conversation in a weird mix of German and English with a smattering of Italian words thrown in.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #71
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Yes we were. Glad I wasn't being such a teenager then to not pay attention. But I definitely appreciate it more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
I don't miss Canvas tents at all.

And I really don't get those that pine for the "old times" of camping. Yes, people can and do go way overboard on gear, but without them who would we laugh at?
Oh I wouldn't trade my Sierra Designs for anything. In 20 years it's never leaked... well, at least through the top. It doesn't float very well though. And without a Thermarest I doubt I'd still be sleeping on the ground.

Quote:
Good stuff!

I remember camping at the beach near Venice every summer, we made friends with a German family even though we couldn't speak each others language. Our moms would swap canned goods and we'd make fun mystery suppers out of them since we had no idea what was in the cans. Our dads would sit by the fire smoking each others brands of cigs while valiantly trying to have some form of conversation in a weird mix of German and English with a smattering of Italian words thrown in.
Amazing how well you can communicate when you want to.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #72
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,117
I can't say I suffer any camping nostaligia from the days of old. There were too many nights I thought I would freeze to death in my cotton sleeping bag. Or was afraid of drowing inside my canvas tent. Or thought I would be set afire by that friggin white gas stove.

As a kid, I recal one night thinking that I heard something large and hairy creeping through the woods and thinking to myself "I hope that monster eats me alive, it would sure beat freezing to death or eating another can of cold corned beef hash for breakfast."

Nylon mountian dome, down bag, thermarest, freeze dried food, goretex jacket, stoves that work......nope, I don't look back with nostalgia. I look back and wonder how the hell I survived.

Eric
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #73
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
My dad went first class...with sleeping bags, anyway. This was in the mid-50's, and in addition to a huge canvas tent, he bought these (rather expensive) Eddie Bauer down-filled monster sleeping bags for he, the wife, and me. They were massive, and rolled to a size about equal to a 55-gallon drum.

And they were NOT sleeping "bags," they were SLEEPING ROBES. Yes, they were quite warm and very comfy. Still have 'em. Ah, the memories...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #74
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,424
I still remember my dad getting all pissed off trying to put the large family tent up. Every year, I would say " Dad, mark the poles", and every year, he would say " I'll remember where they go"
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #75
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
You're doing it wrong...

With an adequate stove, snow should remain solid or evaporate, there will be no standing water.

I'm still freaked out by kicking back in a 65 degree tent, sitting on top of snow.

Once you try a good hot tent, you'll never go back.

This guy makes the best.
I've been wanting one of those tents for a while, but now I have a big ol' teepee that I might put one of their stoves in. I've had some Empire Canvas works gear for maybe twenty years now. Love it!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: