Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #1876
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post

Just a thought I had...
Maybe someone considered using a larger, longer filtering element for better flow and, umm, filtering...
Something which will look like this -

What do you think - possible? Stupid? Unnecessary? Essential?
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1877
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 478
Possible?
Yes, but this would affect the cooling.

You know, for now, the Oil is "forced" to move through the oil cooler, but if one used a bigger filter, only a pretty small percentage of all oil would flow through the actual oil cooler.

At least that's what I figured
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #1878
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Curious... Has anyone ever taken meaningful measurements to determine the effectiveness of this "oil cooler"? There is not a lot of cooling area...

IME it is a rare thing these days to find a modern engine without an oil cooler that does not benefit from the addition, however I'd question the effectiveness of this finned cap when compared to something like a 4" Setrab cooler with some means of temperature regulation especially going into warmer climates.

Just sayin'.
I reckon the concept is great, a bit more oil capacity and a little extra cooling but with no extra plumbing to an external oil radiator. I wonder if using a longer filter with greater surface area rather than the spacer tube would be of more benefit? What about a LC8 main filter (especially a Scott's SS filter) might even give more filtration and allow even deeper cooling fins?

I should add that I reckon the Rotax 650 is a bigger PIA to do an oil/filter change on than the LC8 KTM that everyone complains about, I work on both as the wife has a XCountry. Then there's the air-filter access.....
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #1879
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
The K&P Engineering SS oil filter by itself improves oil flow and cooling, couple it with this cooler and you would not need a larger filter. I have had the K&P fitted for a long time and the GS does not get grumpy in hot conditions as it did before I fitted the filter
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1880
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The K&P Engineering SS oil filter by itself improves oil flow and cooling, couple it with this cooler and you would not need a larger filter. I have had the K&P fitted for a long time and the GS does not get grumpy in hot conditions as it did before I fitted the filter
K&P Engineering doesnt seem to sell online. How do they compare to Scotts SS filters?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #1881
Tomdog
Mapaholic

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
I am interested in this filter but how effective is it at filtering??
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1882
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The K&P is the original SS filter used in racing, the specs are on their web site. I would not be surprised if the Scotts was a K&P rebadged

Paper filters are variable in filtering with worst case up around 80 microns, The K&P SS filter is consistent at around 30 micron with a higher flow rate. Be warned though there are many "no name" SS filters out there with poor filtering.

With the paper filters many go for the cheapest aftermarket filters not realising that the cheaper they are the less quality in the paper and the greater variability in filtering across the surface of the filter
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #1883
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
The K&P is the original SS filter used in racing, the specs are on their web site. I would not be surprised if the Scotts was a K&P rebadged
I think you may be on to something as they both have the same Part No: 2151
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #1884
alpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
FYI, before I purchased my 2151 from Dualsport Plus, I asked K&P Engineering directly and they confirmed in an email: "Scotts is the only filter that is a genuine K&P filter besides the ones with the main brand of K&P. There will be K&P on the bottom of the card in the Scotts container, another way to confirm it is a genuine K&P."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
I think you may be on to something as they both have the same Part No: 2151
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #1885
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

While I cant confirm it, a UK based 650GS owner measured a 5 degrees F difference in oil temp after fitting the K&P. Considering UK weather compared to our Oz weather that seems to me a significant change, adding the cooler must take that further and the price is not that high compared to the cost and weight of a full traditional system
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #1886
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Go on Wayne ,you know you want one, not only do they do the job, but they look good to.
Obviously, i,m not biased in any way.....
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1887
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Yes it is on my wish list, have run the GS in some extreme conditions here and every bit of cooling counts down under
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #1888
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 179
It's alive!

So, the postman did manage to drop it pretty good.. so there was a little need to file the o-ring area to bring it to intended flatness.. but have no fear, it should still be good.. the welded area was a little surprise to me as well, and the only thing I could guess the machinist went a little triggerhappy? So.. rather than scrapping a whole lot of these, the fix was to weld it. Normal practice in such case actually, but could have had a little more weld material added and re-machined, or just hand-filed.. but again, no functionality loss, just cosmetics in my opinion..

Installation!

The relocation bracket for the brake reservoir will not work with ABS installed.

It will though, if you cut down the bracket a little (measurements will be provided when I get home) and bend/twist it a little inboard, everything will fit and clear.

EDIT: I did use a small washer between reservoir and the bracket for a little better clearance. Also, the reg-rec bolts need to be longer. Stock ones are short "as is" and with the bracket added they don't stick out of the nuts on the backside.. yeah.. aviation themed "requirements"...

There was some flickering of the oil light on 3rd startup, after it sat an hour or two, but i think it's just air bubbles working themselves out.. we shall see tonight. The volume of oil did increase noticeably (plus!)

So far no leaks
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #1889
jonne
n00b

Oddometer: 4

Ready for the Easter weekend of the BMW GS-club Holland.

Wolman saddlebags and and Wolfcamper Travelbag.
And of course a Hotrod welding Luggage rack.
jonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1890
flying.moto
Earthbound Misfit, I

Oddometer: 179
So, a nice long day-ride done, and the fan seems still to come on a few times. Hot and slow.. but i guess the cooler is working working well. Extra capacity indeed.

-no more oil light flickering.
-a little longer on on startup than i remember, but insignificant.
-no leaks
-gets attention in the parking lot

and of course, a few pics!

Found some random wall ruin..

Getting that oil cooler some sun-rays

Pure fun!

For a single track mind!

Thanks, Stephan! Your goodies are being put to some good use! The end of the day did leave it's mark on the bash plate too

EDIT: oh yeah, on topic, my "Project: Less is More" is getting there, one step at a time.. hopefully one day to RTW