Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #91
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
I finally got around to pulling the rear tire this evening after picking up a nail from last weekend's ride. Now I have no choice but to change these out!

I found the Dodge 3/4 ton with 3/4 ton rims was not up to the task and do not know of anyone with the foresight to order a 3/4 ton truck with 1/2 ton rims just for the sake of breaking beads on the BMW they plan to own someday!

I tried the kick stand trick shown in the youtube video and found the center stand was too low for this job and the kick stand with its large Touratech pad would not work. I could pull the plate off but did not have time for that tonight.

Tomorrow I will get back on this and use a tire machine if I have to. I will figure something out since I want to ride to the March Motomadness rally in Huntsville, AL next weekend on Sat. if not Fri. and Sat.
I used the 2 x 4 method in this video and it worked like a charm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrhMUPxI3o

I did not bother to install a hinge on the 2x4's, I did it just like he showed in the video. Only thing I did differently is have (3) 2x4 sections in a triangle under the tire/wheel to protect the brake rotors. I did both the front and rear wheels this way, less than a min. to do each wheel.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #92
chewnaut
Rob

Oddometer: 69
Worst tire changing experience....EVER

Thought I'd try to change my '12 GSA rear tire. Took old Tourance EXP off (~7500 mi on it) and put on an Anakee 2. Getting off Tourance wasn't bad, broke the bead with long 2x4 and smaller piece of wood using GSA as leverage point. Used some old leather pieces to protect rim from my 3 tire irons. I could not get the last part of the anakee 2 bead over the rim! I'm not trying to stroke my ego but if you saw me on the street you'd think I was some steroid freak frat kid that can't spell his own name I could not, with three tire irons get the last 16" of tire over the rim. It was 66 deg out at about 1030pm. I know the heat from the sun and ambient temp can play a big roll, but didnt think that would make the process completely futile. I took it to Sandia BMW where, with their hydrolic tire changer, had trouble with it. I took it home only to realize the bead wouldn't seat, even with a ratcheting strap around tire and pump plugged into the car!!! I beat the crap out of that tire trying to get the bead to shift into place. Nothing
chewnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #93
chewnaut
Rob

Continued from previous post

I had to go back to Sandia BMW for them to get the bead in. They couldn't do it so they left the tire in the sun for 30 min and tried again. FINALLY worked after the service manager, service advisor, and two techs worked on it. WTF?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #94
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,181
I suspect this tire has been on the bike for years before enough miles were finally ridden to flatten out the tread.

I think you've nailed it! They do get seated very tight if they've been on a long time.

If you are having that much trouble getting the tire off the rim even with Herculean effort all I can think is that you didn't have the free portion of the tire pushed down into the center of the rim. If that happens you would be trying to stretch the steel/poly cords in the tire bead and that ain't gonna happen very easily. Did you clean and lube the rim and tire before installing the new one to make it easier to slide on and seat the bead?

Something goofy was going on there, it should NOT take that much effort to remove or install a tire.

Got a new-to-me 2010 WR250R that needs tires soon, so I'll get a chance to practice my skills on a tubed tire! Haven't done that in a while, hope the new Motion Pro bead breaker works on those as well as the tubeless. I'll be putting some Shinko 244s on that bad boy; got the pair with the bike and I think they cost all of $80 for the set.

Doug

Doug
Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #95
chewnaut
Rob

I did feel like I was working against the steel bead in my final efforts to get the new anakee 2 on, with no avail. I lubedd the bead and rim with a glob of dish soap. I followed some DIY tire changing threads while doing it and I just couldn't get that bead over the rim. I would like to see someone do it in person with a similar set up. The service manager at Sandia BMW said some tires are just a pain, it's not uncommon to get a stubborn tire.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #96
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

I'm sure that's true, they are all hand-built so there's got to be some variance in size and finish, but you'd think the diameter would be close enough regardless to allow installation without warping or busting the rim in the process. I've gotten bad tires before, but ususally that meant they were so far out of balance they would wobble no matter how much weight you put on them. I hope you don't have that much trouble getting this thing off!

I grew up in New Mexico and learned to ride MX, trials (with NMTA), flat track, enduros, etc. there, just a glorious place to ride! We used to go to the flats at the old Galisteo (sp?) reservoir and roost all over hell just to see how fast our MXers were; the place crawled with huge tarantula spiders but I don't think we ever hit a single one - they are FAST!

Enjoy your new tire!

Doug
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #97
chewnaut
Rob

Thanks Doug, and NM is an amazing place for two wheel travel (on or off road)!!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #98
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Great thread- I have a ? for the OP...

I ordered the Parnes balancer for my KTM 990- but recently bought another R1150GSA It looks like the OP's balancer uses the two standard cones in the pics on page one? I know Parnes sells a special "flatter" tapered cone for the 1150 rear- is this necessary, or can I use my two universal cones for the front and rear of the 1150 GS wire rims? He hasn't replied to my email from a week ago-

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #99
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
My city dump takes them for 20 cents per pound IIRC. If I don't and that number is actually $1.00 per pound it's worth it to me. Far too many old tires sitting around here.

Thanks for the thread. This is exactly what I was looking for since I will be replacing tires soon.

What is the best method for determining when to change out tires? Found this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19727629
The actual cost is 3 cents per pound here.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #100
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post

I ordered the Parnes balancer for my KTM 990- but recently bought another R1150GSA It looks like the OP's balancer uses the two standard cones in the pics on page one? I know Parnes sells a special "flatter" tapered cone for the 1150 rear- is this necessary, or can I use my two universal cones for the front and rear of the 1150 GS wire rims? He hasn't replied to my email from a week ago-
Try contacting him via his website and phone. He is easy to work with.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #101
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Try contacting him via his website and phone. He is easy to work with.

Sent an email last week- I guess I'll try the phone....

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #102
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:

Balancing tires?? waste of time..

If you think you need to..use airsoft pellets..be done with it..toooo easy.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #103
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Balancing tires?? waste of time..

If you think you need to..use airsoft pellets..be done with it..toooo easy.
I sincerely hope this great thread about dismounting and mounting tires and balancing of rims and tires does NOT go to pot b/c of an off topic comment.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #104
Range Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Great thread. the UPS guys just dropped off a new Tourance front for my GSA. Will get it mounted using the techniques offered. I did use the center stand to break down my rear a few months ago, and it worked fine. Did not know about the marks on the tires showing the lightest side. I will have to check out my rear to see if I got it close. Took it to a local cage shop and the mechanic was happy to spin balance the rear(since it fit on his machine) and didn't even charge me! He will get my business when I have a cage issue that I can't do myself.

Again, thanks for the great thread and all the posts. This thread has definitely stayed on track and positive (since 2009!)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #105
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Quote:

I haven't checked in on this thread in about three months, glad to see folks are still using it!

I've always used the flatter BMW cone for my BMWs, never actually tried the two Universals together on the Beemer wheels. The rear wheel of the GS isn't very thick (deep, broad, whatever) in that area, so I suspect the flatter cone is meant to keep the noses of the two longer cones from touching before they squeeze in on the wheel. Give it a try - if the cones don't touch I say go for it!

Hope that helps. +1 on service from Parnes, he's always been great with his service. Maybe he's been off riding?

And for what it's worth, I don't bother trying to balance the wheels and tires on my dirt bikes, but they don't go as fast as the road bikes and I'm usually on dirt with them anyway so who would feel the difference? If dyna beads do it for you, that's cool too.

Doug