Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
HumanOne OP
shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer: 1,255
Rider Down Outback SA - anyone know who this is?

Does anyone know who this pannier belongs to?

NSW plate - White BMW R1200GS?

From what I tell the rider has been taken to get medical attention after a fall trying to negotiate a large bulldust hole.

I spotted this bike off the side of a track today where it was obviously dragged and left after the rider was taken away.

My heart was beating fast as I pulled the truck up to investigate and I have to say that I'm glad that the helmet sticking out from underneath the bike was not still attached to the rider's head

Does anyone recognize who this is from the stickers on the panniers?

I am keen to know and hope that he's OK and if he was travelling with others when it happened?

Pete

HumanOne screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 02:56 AM
HumanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,436
Where ?

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
I just posted an email on the BMWTCNSW group.

Maybe someone there will know if it is one of our club members.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
HumanOne OP
shows Nomadic tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
Where ?
Strzelecki Track!

Looks like he would have been heading to Cameron Corner or Innamincka I'd say.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,453
Hope it's not too serious.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanOne View Post
Strzelecki Track!

Looks like he would have been heading to Cameron Corner or Innamincka I'd say.
Could have been heading to the Flinders Classic too for the weekend, lots of inmates up there for the annual bash put on by the SA inmates.
I hope the rider is OK. That's pretty remote country out there.

UPDATE : Thanks for the update Trev, that's good to know.
I have trawled the Adelaide Advertiser online newspaper but there is no mention of any bike accident in that area, so it remais a mystery.

GodSilla screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 10:21 PM
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
Could have been heading to the Flinders Classic too for the weekend, lots of inmates up there for the annual bash put on by the SA inmates.
Not anyone that we're expecting Tom and I don't think we had any interstaters on 1200's anyway. Hope everything's okay!!

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
HumanOne OP
shows Nomadic tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post

UPDATE : Thanks for the update Trev, that's good to know.
I have trawled the Adelaide Advertiser online newspaper but there is no mention of any bike accident in that area, so it remais a mystery.
Looks like he was headed the other way (North) when it happened.
I just hope the dude is OK. I can only assume by the ADV sticker that he'd be a regular on here somewhere. I couldn't make out many motorcyle tracks and figure he might have been on his own and spotted by a transport driver going to and from Moomba.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Blokette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I suspect this bike belongs to a guy named Graham who is the friend of a friend of mine (Mal).

Graham and Mal set out on a 10 day adventure trip on 25 March and I received a message from Mal yesterday to say that he was now travelling on his own because Graham had come off and broken his hip.

A further message from Mal this morning indicated that the rear wheel of the 1200GSA had torn off and the forks had snapped - don't have any more info at this stage.
"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyway and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."
Blokette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
HumanOne OP
shows Nomadic tendencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokette View Post
I suspect this bike belongs to a guy named Graham who is the friend of a friend of mine (Mal).

Graham and Mal set out on a 10 day adventure trip on 25 March and I received a message from Mal yesterday to say that he was now travelling on his own because Graham had come off and broken his hip.

A further message from Mal this morning indicated that the rear wheel of the 1200GSA had torn off and the forks had snapped - don't have any more info at this stage.
G'Day Blokette!

I wasn't sure he was alone or riding with another - I could only see one set of bike tracks. Glad he wasn't alone when it happened. Geez - broken hip - poor dude. Hope he's going OK.

I could see the rear drive was busted, but didn't look at the forks. It looked like he'd taken all his valuables, etc and it was only his riding gear and food, etc left, so I'd assume the bike will be OK where it is - until it's collected.

I'll be back past there in the next couple of days again, so I'll check on it and report again. If you have a way of contacting him - I can take what's left of his gear (panniers / jacket / helmet / boots, etc) if you like and store it somewhere safe for now - but I didn't want to touch it if someone was already arranged to come and get it all (otherwise they'd think someone's stolen it) Unfortunately I can't really collect the bike itself, but it would appear a write-off I'm guessing and will likely stay where it is until collected.

PM me if you're able to find out if he wants his gear collected. I'm going to be going past here a few times during the next week anyhow.

Best wishes to Graham for hopefully a speedy recovery.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Blokette
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Glad he wasn't alone when it happened.
Not only he was not alone but Mal had a SPOT with him and activated the 911 function - paramedics were at the accident scene within 90 minutes!

Quote:
I can take what's left of his gear (panniers / jacket / helmet / boots, etc) if you like and store it somewhere safe for now.
Thanks - I've sent you a PM.
"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyway and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."
Blokette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #12
ausalper
Novice Adventurer

Oddometer: 3
Hi All,
I was the lucky one that rode away. My buddy is now having surgery to put his broken bits together. Unfortunately the 1200gsa will not be so lucky. The I believe the insurance mob have been contacted, but would appreciate any update re the beemer (PM) if you pass.
He was choppered out mid afternoon and I rode back 250k to Lyndhurst in rain, getting there just on dusk - it was really exciting!
ausalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausalper View Post
Hi All,
I was the lucky one that rode away. My buddy is now having surgery to put his broken bits together. Unfortunately the 1200gsa will not be so lucky. The I believe the insurance mob have been contacted, but would appreciate any update re the beemer (PM) if you pass.
He was choppered out mid afternoon and I rode back 250k to Lyndhurst in rain, getting there just on dusk - it was really exciting!
Finally, some concrete info....

Thanks ausalper, an update on his progress at some stage would be good too if you can manage it later on down the track.

I hope most of your ride was more enjoyable and less eventful than that particular episode.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #14
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,436
Quote:
Hi All,

250klms back to Lyndhurst in rain is some feat, you know

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
HumanOne OP
shows Nomadic tendencies

Quote:
Hi All,
G'Day Ausalper,

Glad to hear that your mate didn't have to wait too long for help and from the sound of it his 'SPOT' has certainly paid for itself.

I've had messages rPM'd from blokette and was only too happy to collect gear if required, but it sounds like it's organized.

This area of the country is my home away from home and I know exactly what the Strzelecki is like in the rain - you might have thought yourself lucky not to suffer a similar fate going all the way back to Lyndhurst.

Please pass on my regards to your mate. It makes my blood run pretty cold when I see bikes on the side of the road in that condition. I know the outcome isn't going to be good. I'm just glad he's only broken some stuff and that help wasn't far away which is fantastic. I was dreading the worst and feeling for a bloke who, when looking at the tracks might have found himself alone in his time of need.

We always hire a Sat Phone when we travel to these remote areas. Between the riders it's a cheap bit of kit and if it's not used unless in an emergency then there's no call costs associated, only the hire fee. The SPOT sounds like it did the trick.

We'd be keen to find out how your mate is progressing - keep us updated.

Ride Safe

Pete