Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #166
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
You'll be looking for heat, not ice, August is still a tad nippy out there and there'll be ice on your swag in the morning.

Also there is this thing called Kimberly Cool which applies in the Pilbara too, as long as the first beer is room temp the rest can be warm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkat View Post
Now that the fuel is sorted.
Lets get on to the important stuff.
I'm going to want some ice.
I plan on coming through Garry junction, Kuna and Cotton Crk and may have a couple of cans that will need chilling.
Thoughts?

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #167
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
I emailed the chairperson of the VSU working group today and was told she is on the case as to when the fuel company will be ready to put in the bowser and supply fuel to CC.she will get back to me when she knows.
I can also ask robin to stock some ice.
Regarding fuel in Punmu its been available for more than 18 months.Punmu is about 300 kms from desert queen baths. So technically you need a range of minimum 600 to 700 kms to either get back to punmu or anywhere to get fuel.Punmu us also a dry community. Cotton creek is not.
Thank's Stormsearcher for chasing that up, much appreciated. Have you ever had a chance to travel the track North from Cotton Creek that links up with the road to Telfer/Punmu and DQB and if so how hard is it to get permission to do so.
Cheers
Dennis
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #168
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
cotton creek

OPAL avavilable in CC now. its in drums.will have bowser soon. have told Robin we will need fuel,ice,and supplies. he is happy to oblige. told him we will let him know what we need closer to date.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #169
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Thank's Stormsearcher for chasing that up, much appreciated. Have you ever had a chance to travel the track North from Cotton Creek that links up with the road to Telfer/Punmu and DQB and if so how hard is it to get permission to do so.
Cheers
Dennis
yes. i lived in punmu for 8 months and i travel the area quite often as the company i work for run all the clinics in these communties.
the videos i posted were of the ttracks you are asking about.
sandy, knarly and deep ruts in some sections apart from that all other roads are like highways with the exception of some washouts.
will be riding townsville to Newman thro the area first week of april, will give you a firsthand update after i finish.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #170
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

canning

mining is occuring near lake dissapointment to the road from well23 to cc is also geting a lot of attention and made into a highway soon maybe lol
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #171
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Thumb

Quote:
OPAL avavilable in CC now. its in drums.will have bowser soon. have told Robin we will need fuel,ice,and supplies. he is happy to oblige. told him we will let him know what we need closer to date.
Great, was Robin there last year, as the Manager, his wife and also the clinic nurse really helped when I had left a whole lot of my sleeping gear and medicine on the side of the CSR track. It was because of their help, I was able to regroup and continue, great people, say Hi when you are talking to them again.
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #172
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Great, was Robin there last year, as the Manager, his wife and also the clinic nurse really helped when I had left a whole lot of my sleeping gear and medicine on the side of the CSR track. It was because of their help, I was able to regroup and continue, great people, say Hi when you are talking to them again.
no worries will tell him and the nurse as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #173
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Shit mate, I hope you drink Victorian beer? I gunna put an extra one in my bag for ya.
Good work.
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #174
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkat View Post
Shit mate, I hope you drink Victorian beer? I gunna put an extra one in my bag for ya.
Good work.
Lol thanks mate.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #175
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,527
Has anyone done a google map of the area to be covered? Sounds like a great ride and well off the beaten track....
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #176
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Has anyone done a google map of the area to be covered? Sounds like a great ride and well off the beaten track....
Hema desert map has all the roads well covered. Its a great ride, and the destination is spetacular! I would recommend spending two nights at DQB. You can swim some way up the gorge I believe if you are so inclined. That's why I want to go back.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #177
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 329
punmu and well 33

im a remote area nurse and working in punmu at the moment. the town administrator john, and his offsider, mick are expecting you guys through here. office at punmu is the building situated near the 3 flag poles on the eastern side of town.

i was on the 'main' road to well 33 last weekend. since the recent cyclone and heavy rain, the road has suffered some very deep washouts so be careful.

otherwise its ok but has the usual corrugations and deep sand in parts.

there's signs and/or fuel dums on some of the dangerous sections but i wouldnt rely on anything other than vigilance.

this may well be repeated on other roads and sections throughout the area and until roadwork can be done, it would pay to be careful.

fuel available at well 33, nice shop and nice accommodation. fuel available at punmu, ok shop and ok accommodation. camping at both. a couple of wells in between providing fresh water are sign posted with 44 gallon drums on the roadside.

soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #178
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Geez Bern, couldn't be any further from home if you tried!

Will you be around Punmu in August? Always wanted an excuse to see that particular dry lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
im a remote area nurse and working in punmu at the moment. the town administrator john, and his offsider, mick are expecting you guys through here. office at punmu is the building situated near the 3 flag poles on the eastern side of town.

i was on the 'main' road to well 33 last weekend. since the recent cyclone and heavy rain, the road has suffered some very deep washouts so be careful.

otherwise its ok but has the usual corrugations and deep sand in parts.

there's signs and/or fuel dums on some of the dangerous sections but i wouldnt rely on anything other than vigilance.

this may well be repeated on other roads and sections throughout the area and until roadwork can be done, it would pay to be careful.

fuel available at well 33, nice shop and nice accommodation. fuel available at punmu, ok shop and ok accommodation. camping at both. a couple of wells in between providing fresh water are sign posted with 44 gallon drums on the roadside.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #179
soul_adventurer
grin and bear it

Oddometer: 329
hi ken
im not sure where i will be in august. i never ever know whats around the corner for me.
im flying home on tuesday. not looking forward to the flight, but hey, im heading home thats the main thing.
a GF of mine is sort of thinking about doing the cape this year with her BF. if she does i might go along for that one again. only this time i will do the OTT etc.

this is the ride i did last sunday with mick the general hand here at punmu. he lent me just about everything. love the helmet! it was a pretty good ride with deep sand, mud, wheel ruts and a sand dune. copped a few scratches as i was only wearing shorts but otherwise all good. didnt fall off either! the bike i was riding was a real gem. it was easy as, and i liked the feel of it despite being a bit touchy with too much power at times.

soul_adventurer screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 07:45 AM
soul_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #180
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_adventurer View Post
the bike i was riding was a real gem. it was easy as, and i liked the feel of it despite being a bit touchy with too much power at times.
Yam WR 450?

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is offline   Reply With Quote